LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILER FREE) Discussion Thread

"Star Wars: Episode IX will begin filming at London’s Pinewood Studios on August 1, 2018. J.J. Abrams returns to direct the final installment of the Skywalker saga. Abrams co-wrote the screenplay with Chris Terrio."

Returning ST cast members:

Daisy Ridley (Rey)

Adam Driver (Ben Solo / Kylo Ren)

John Boyega (Finn)

Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron)

Lupita Nyong’o (Maz Kanata)

Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux)

Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico)

Joonas Suotamo (Chewbacca)

Billie Lourd (Lieutenant Connix)

Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker)

Anthony Daniels (C-3PO)

Carrie Fisher (General Leia Organa)

New ST cast members: 

Naomi Ackie

Richard E. Grant

Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian)

Kerri Russell

Leia returns using unreleased TFA footage.

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”

John Williams will return to score the film.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced

• Like 1

Well Kenny (Phasma is gone). Shame as the character was supposed to have a bigger role.

Kerri Russell confirmed on the Star Wars show and the original article has been updated as well. Apparently she was signed late afternoon today.

16 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Was she though? I always thought that given the sloppy way in which she gets written out in Force Awakens they did not anticipate her popularity. 

The deleted version of her death scene in TLJ is also better than the one in the final cut if you ask me. 

Yeah JJ Abrahms said she was supposed to have a bigger role after TFA, but that went out the window for some reason.

Then why did he leave her with such a half arsed final scene in TFA? You get a trash compactor gag with no indication as to whether they stuck her in one, or how she escaped in time before the planet imploded. That to me said they underestimated her popularity. 

I missed that this is the "final installment of the Skywalker saga", not a surprise, but I believe this may be the first official statement regarding that.

I've tried to explain why I resented TLJ (despite enjoying it), knowing full well that many people here were glad for the very things I resented.

I think I understand my feelings on the matter better at this moment.  Helped somewhat by an article I read reminding me why I like JJ Abrams(I know some people don't like him).    JJ is famous for his "mystery box" methodology of storytelling.  He feels 'not' explaining mysteries can be an asset to a story.  Or at least if you're going to explain a mystery, don't explain it completely.  Or if you're going to explain it completely, make sure you introduce more mysteries before explaining the previous ones.

I don't know if I butchered that, but regardless, I subscribe to and and enjoy immensely this form of story telling.  I know people grew frustrated with Lost  and its never-ending mysteries, but I fucking loved it.  And I loved all the mysteries that JJ introduced in TFA. I looked forward to some of them being unraveled, some of them not, and new ones being introduced.

Which is why I recoiled at the overt effort in TLJ to either open or burn all the mystery boxes that JJ and Lucus built.  TLJ had a little barbecue and just watched it all burn.  

With all of that gone my passion for the SW franchise has dimmed.  And it is so sad.  I hope JJ brings some of it back.  But given that he's making the final chapter, I'm not sure what the hell he's going to do.

That's a fair way to feel, I guess. Personally, I think it really depends on what you class as a "mystery". Something like an off-hand reference to Luke's father having fought in "The Clone Wars" is a gorgeous bit of world-building, because you're free to let your imagination run wild in that space as part of a wider fictional universe. I'd put the Knights of Ren in that class too, and I'm kind of glad they've stayed there for now. Seeing just a little of what the Galaxy's rich elite get up to when they're not all on the same square block of Coruscant was great in The Last Jedi too, as was the indication of a thriving arms market that goes beyond "all the Goodies buy this brand of spaceships, and the Empire gets them all from here, so it's Letter-wings vs. whatever modded TIE Fighter they have today again".

The problem with the way Abrams (and more egregiously Lindelof, his writing partner in crime) does it is that far too frequently they build them without serious regard for what's inside; you can't possibly figure out the answer because they don't know themselves yet. That's why they constantly have to keep setting up new ones to be excited about, because the solution they improvised can't possibly be as satisfying as the not knowing, and as they found on LOST (where they spent far too much time in the first series or two denying fan speculation about the answer they eventually settled on for the central premise to the show) ever since the Internet came along you can guarantee some section of the fandom will come up with EVERY good possible answer, and a whole bunch of bad ones, too. Nobody really enjoys the news that it's Solution G from the big list in itself; you can only ensure that you've got something that makes the story work emotionally whether your own guess is right or not.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, iainl said:

Nobody really enjoys the news that it's Solution G from the big list in itself; you can only ensure that you've got something that makes the story work emotionally whether your own guess is right or not.

For me it is the one-two punch of the unexpected wrapped in mysteries,  and the presence of characters that I'll follow anywhere.  I love mysteries and the best way for you to make me suspend disbelief is for a compelling character to pull through the fun house.  Lost did that for me.  If what you say is true that they made it up as they went along, I'm not sure how much that is actually true, but if it is, the characters made me not care.

Regardless of all that, for any serial movie or TV series it is nice to have some story and character threads that drag my fanboy ass forward.  And they ripped a lot of that out in the TLJ.  In doing so they raised the bar for what it will take to get me excited about a SW movie again.  I was a slutty date before.

• Like 1

I may be misinterpreting you here, and sorry if I am, but it sounds like the real complaint isn't that information you were excited to learn more about (Who is Snoke? Who are Rey's parents?  Why would Luke hide himself on an uncharted planet where nobody could find him?) was discarded without resolution, or even that you didn't like the resolution (A suddenly dead guy. Some randoms because not everyone in the Galaxy is a close relative. Shame at his part in Ben's turning to the Dark Side.) but that the characters have become people you don't care about.

And while I completely disagree on that point with regard to Jedi (in particular, the Ben / Kylo conflict is fascinating in terms of whether he'll grow emotionally and be redeemed, or remain the petulant child to a violent end) that's something I've got a lot of sympathy for; the only moment of the Fallen Kingdom trailer I cared about at all was when dinosaurs were in peril, rather than any of the cardboard humans.

No, I like the characters.  That discussion was more about why I was so tolerant of the Lost plotlines that others were frustrated by.  It was because I loved the characters.

No, I like the SW characters.  It was that TLJ opened most of the mysteries boxes.  Purposely tied up almost all the loose ends.  And in some cases, did so simply by saying they weren't really loose ends to begin with.  

Simply put, I barely care about what happens next.  Because it feels like a reset button has been pushed.

• Like 1

Ah, I see. I think a number of things that were set up as big things got shut down, but the shock of doing so easily made that worth it for me. It’s precisely the not having a clue where it’s going that excites me, personally. 

1 hour ago, iainl said:

It’s precisely the not having a clue where it’s going that excites me, personally. 

That's a funny way you put that.  I'm saying the exact same thing.  From a certain point of view.

Image result for "from a certain point of view"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Cameras are rollin'

So Finn and Chewie on the Falcon, with the pilot probably Rey.

10 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

He seems to have made a deliberate point of blocking out the pilot. 

Based on what we can see of the costume it's probably not Rey, my next guess would be Poe, and then Lando as a long shot.

Could be, sorta looks like a man's button down, but who knows.

This photo will be the first in a series during production. Abrams didn't post much last time around, Johnson had more to share, and Ron Howard was very public with behind the scenes shots.

The last installment in the Skywalker saga, Star Wars: Episode IX, is now in production with director and writer J.J. Abrams back at the helm. The man who launched a new era of Star Wars storytelling with Star Wars: The Force Awakens in 2015 started filming today (August 1, 2018), and marked the occasion by sharing a behind-the-scenes photo from the set in London. It’s the next best thing to actually being there. Check back as we curate all of Abrams’s photos and thoughts on Twitter and Instagram throughout the production process!

https://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abrams-star-wars-episode-ix

7 minutes ago, NickC said:

Ron Howard was very public with behind the scenes shots.

We needed Proof of Life. 

• Like 2