LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILER FREE) Discussion Thread

34 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Yeah, I mean if they want to have the Emperor's ghost appear to Kylo or someone and have a Yoda like Sith pep talk - I'm kind of alright with that. 

If they go into the comic book level Emperor having cloned bodies and Snoke was a fucked up clone or some such nonsense - that's a just a big no thank you and just shows an utter level of lazy writing that surpasses Force Awakens moon base weapon.

On the expanded universe stuff, I've gotten to the point where I want to downright smack fans that tell me I should see or read x or y to fill in blanks. I've actually done that in the past and I want to smack myself for doing it. If its not in the fucking movie, then shut up. If I have to read a god damned encyclopedia to understand what's happening in your movie, then you've already failed.

Indeed.

Even beyond pep talks, ghost Yoda effectively invented the idea in these movies that force ghosts can affect physical surroundings, so no reason why a ghost Emperor could not pose a physical threat in some form. I'd have thought there were more interesting ideas to explore with a ghost than a clone personally as we know so little about force ghosts.

If Snoke was perhaps first to discover the Emperor's negative force presence amongst the remains of the Death Star that would actually be quite a fitting backstory for Snoke. In fact, what if that planet is populated by Snoke like aliens and he was once an innocent who wandered off too far and ended up being groomed by a phantom Emperor? Pure evil energy. That'd be interesting. 

They could have added the laugh as Palpatine was the architect behind the "Skywalkers" and we're coming full circle with the saga coming to an end. It would be surprising if he has any part other than a flashback. I'd rather not see Palpatine, but I'm open if it works and makes sense, I don't want to see him shoehorned in.

Rebels animated series introduced some interesting force stuff the in a palpentine episode towards the end, including stuff about force ghosts. 

17 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

There’s a nice quality version of the trailer up now on the AppleTV trailers app.

Yep looks great.

Tie Fighter Force Jumping? 🙄 

If a Star Wars movie has to have a Death Star - happy it's a wrecked one. (...please don't be a fully functional Death Star...)

Building off of Rian's movie, I think "The Rise of the Rebellion" may have worked but then I don't know shit about the direction of the movie so that may be way off.:)

21 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Building off of Rian's movie, I think "The Rise of the Rebellion" may have worked but then I don't know shit about the direction of the movie so that may be way off.:)

Don’t know whether that would have been helped or hindered by the fact one of the Galaxy’s Edge rides is called Rise of the Resistance.

If the title is in part a hat tip to the “spark that lights the flame” from Last Jedi as stories of Luke spread across the Galaxy then it works rather nicely (I really do love that bit at the end of TLJ when those kids are basically a reflection of kids playing with Star Wars action figures. Such an inspired idea). 

I always loved the pre-THJ theories that Rey was the evil villain descendant of Palpatine and Kylo was the hero descendant of Skywalker.  And that this last movie would be like return of the Jedi where Rey plays the role of Vader and Kylo, Luke.  That inversion seemed pretty badass.  That plotline required Snoke to turn Rey which was squashed.  So I have no idea what the hell is going on here.

It's interesting that Luke's words to Rey are that "We've passed on all we know" and "We'll always be with you."  Have to wonder who he's collectively referring to and whether it implies a whole gang of Jedi ghosts are going to appear before her. That would be quite a nice way to tie things to the prequels I suppose, if Qui Gon, Mace Windu...etc were all there, and I guess if they go for Anakin it would be Christensen since that's now the canonical Anakin ghost whether we like it or not. I would prefer re-used footage trickery of Guinness over Mcgregor if Obi Wan were to appear though. Granted it'd be like the end of the final Harry Potter, but still... Ghost Han would be nice if it meant Hamill finally got to have a scene reuniting him with Ford. 

Lots of questions, all very exciting, but I will remain shut off to spoilers and leaks and (as with the last two), just take in whatever official stuff Lucasfilm choose to share.  Thankfully my Youtube timeline doesn't appear to have been infected with "Chewie is Palpatine's father" driven nonsense accounts.  It's crazy that when simply searching for 'Star Wars' it was spoiler and fan theory accounts that showed up first in the results before it even suggested the official account. 

I'm okay with anything at this point. I liked TLJ okay, but if I'm being honest I'm somewhere between Nick and Romier's feelings about what's coming up.

Well it seems Palpatines is back in some form, time will tell, not feeling it right now, we'll see..

JJ on the title

“Well, the title feels like it’s the right title for this movie. I know it’s provocative and asks a bunch of questions but when you see the movie you’ll see how it was intended and what it means. But in the flow of titles this title had a very  big responsability — it had to be the end of not only three movies, but nine movies. The idea of incorporating the movies that come before strangely is the story of the movie. It’s the characters in the film inherriting everything that’s come before in previous generations, wether it’s the sins of the father or the wisdom that they’ve acquired, and the question is, is this new generation up to the task, can they stand up to what they have to. So in a way, we came to this movie having inherrited a lot, and the question can we do it is a question we ask ourselves everyday"

https://www.slashfilm.com/jj-abrams-explains-the-title-of-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker/

On 4/10/2019 at 7:07 AM, NickC said:

I had some gut instincts about where the story would have gone. But without getting in the weeds on episode eight, that was a story that Rian wrote and was telling based on seven before we met. So he was taking the thing in another direction. So we also had to respond to Episode VIII. So our movie was not just following what we had started, it was following what we had started and then had been advanced by someone else.

So there was no cohesive vision. That would seem important to have in place.

14 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Yep no plan. Who does that.

JJ Abrams?

Not that I blame him. It seems bizarre that LucasFilm and Kathleen Kennedy didn’t have some sort of framework in place as to where the story was going. I understand wanting to give your filmmakers some freedom.... but that doesn’t mean they can do whatever they want. 

5 hours ago, Graeme said:

JJ Abrams?

Not that I blame him. It seems bizarre that LucasFilm and Kathleen Kennedy didn’t have some sort of framework in place as to where the story was going. I understand wanting to give your filmmakers some freedom.... but that doesn’t mean they can do whatever they want. 

It’s not Abrams issue.  He was always signed just for the first film. 

21 hours ago, Starhawk said:

So there was no cohesive vision. That would seem important to have in place.

21 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Yep no plan. Who does that.

6 hours ago, Graeme said:

JJ Abrams?

1 hour ago, JoeyN said:

It’s not Abrams issue.  He was always signed just for the first film. 

I think a big oversight whenever this type of conversation comes up is that people tend to look at the people more than they do the process. It's a small miracle ANY movie gets made, let alone one as monstrous as a Star Wars film with so much riding on it, and it shouldn't be forgotten that there wasn't exactly a grand master plan for the previous trilogies either where every t had been crossed, and every i had be dotted in advance of production. I don't really see how the challenge of advancing story and character twists and turns with these three is all that different when you hold them up to the way the other six films were made.