LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyN

PICARD Returns in new Trek series

12 minutes ago, PackFan said:

Guess I have not followed that...

He did this popular YouTube show about board games where he would play with celeb friends of his.  During the next to last season there were a ton of rules errors. Instead of actually reading the rules himself he had someone else on the shows staff teach him, and this did not work well. Instead of taking the blame himself, he blamed this person as the sole reason for the problems. It was a disgusting post  frankly. Anyone who plays board games knows rules errors happen. However if you are the host and playing you should be reading the rules yourself. It’s your job. They did one more season, but it’s pretty much over because he could not “handle it” anymore.

Never liked Wwwhhiil Whheeeeaton on or off screen. Bugs me to no end with his smarm.

• Like 2

Just finished season 3.  The jump in quality was very noticeable from season 2 to 3.  At least their uniforms look professional and how I've seen them.  There's a lot of unexpected humor from the series.

• Like 2

Just now, Dimness said:

Just finished season 3.  The jump in quality was very noticeable from season 2 to 3.  At least their uniforms look professional and how I've seen them.  There's a lot of unexpected humor from the series.

What do you think are some of the best/worst episodes so far?

Season 3 has a lot of good, a few great episodes. It also sets up a lot of stuff that continues into DS9, and beyond. Especially the entire storyline of the Klingon empire.

TNG had a lot of bad episodes early on. It has been a long time since I watched all of S1/S2, I usually watch the ones I remember liking.

Season 1

• Encounter At Farpoint - Awful.  Just awful
  • The Naked Now - Data gets laid.  Data 1 Wesley Crusher 0
  • Code of Honor - Let's pretend this never happened.
  • The Last Outpost - I can't take the Ferengi seriously
  • Where No One Has Gone Before - How in the world did Voyager not reference this show?  Oh, episode was okay.
  • Lonely Among Us - I don't remember this one.  Probably not worth remembering anyway.
  • Justice - On a planet with jailbait and half naked women, Wesley Crusher displays a lack of game.  Pun intended.
  • The Battle - It's okay, but I still can't take the Ferengi seriously.
  • Hide and Q - Worf gets his ass kicked.  And it'll happen many more times.  Wesley dies... only to be revived by Riker.
  • Haven - Troi's fiance dumps Troi for a blond.
  • Datalore - I like Data as a character now, and this is the first solid episode of the season.
  • Angel One - Riker gets laid.  But definitely not the first time the way he operates.
  • 11001001 - This one's okay.
  • Too Short A Season - Meh again.
  • When The Bough Breaks - This episode was a missed opportunity for Data.  He probably should've asked, "Have you tried sexual relations?"  Otherwise it's kind of boring, and they should've just left Wesley behind.
  • Heart of Glory - Worf episodes are sort of weird.  I sort of get his whole attachment to Klingon culture.  But where's the Russian in him?
  • The Arsenal of Freedom - It feels like I'm watching an episode of the 60's Star Trek.
  • Symbiosis - Cocaine's a hell of a drug.
  • Skin of Evil - Yar dies in the worst possible way.  Poor Data.
  • We'll Always Have Paris - Picard sees an ex.  There's not much more than that.
  • Conspiracy - This episode is okay.
  • The Neutral Zone - Romulans and 20th Century cryos.  I liked the Texan one, but the financial adviser (or lawyer?) guy acts too close to reality.
  • Epic Post 1

Yeah, once they drop the Ferengi as being evil toads and make them comedy relief with an extreme and fantastic profit over everything culture - they rock.:)

Worf’s episodes and his ties to the empire fuel some of the best episodes in the series. Worf as a character though?

Worf TNG = Whiny Klingon who loves his culture but has a heart of gold that gets thrown at the screen more often than not by the baddies.

Worf DS9 - Bad ass Klingon hard liner that gives zero fucks about your opinion. You can talk to him after he’s blown up your ship or removed you face from his palm.

CtH4.gif

• Like 2

Season 2

• The Child - Riker looks pissed.
  • Where Silence Has Lease - That ensign just died an awful death.  Too bad it wasn't Wesley.
  • Elementary, Dear Data - I'm not gonna lie, and I'm in the minority on this one according to the internet.  Dr. Crusher is infinitely more attractive than Dr. Pulaski, but I like Dr. Pulaski much better.  She's got much more of a personality than Dr. Crusher (even if it is female Bones), and her soft antagonism towards Data is better than the "I'm Gene Roddenberry, and everyone must get along".
  • The Outrageous Okona - Han Solo reject is awful.  And I had forgotten all about Joe Piscopo save for vague The Simpsons references.
  • Loud As A Whisper - From time to time I just enjoy concept episodes, and this one is out-of-left-field bizarre enough.
  • The Schizoid Man - Ernest Hemingway as a scientist starts hitting on his cute assistant once he is in Data's body.  It's okay.
  • Unnatural Selection - This is okay, and it's unfortunate it's one of the few episodes where we got to see some emphasis on Pulaski
  • A Matter of Honor - I really enjoyed this episode.  
  • The Measure Of A Man - While working through Voyager, people kept referencing this episode as a top ten classic of TNG, and I can understand why.  I agree this episode is excellent, but I feel like in hindsight this episode is just a stepping stone episode now, and the idea of photonics as the next step in fully realized beings is the next thing to consider.  Let's face it, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if holodecks becoming banned in future Star Trek series.
  • The Dauphin - Wesley Crusher hasn't learned jack shit from Riker.  Shape shifting alien whose true form is that of a monster?  Riker would still hit it.
  • Contagion - The Yamato blows up.  That's about all I can remember from this one.
  • The Royale - This is goofy as shit.  But it's no different than The Simpsons interpretation of Japanese interpretation of American culture on the Mr. Sparkle episode.
  • Time Squared - Not a bad time travel episode, but it seems like Star Trek loves to defer to "current timeline" versions of their character, no matter what "future" version says.
  • The Icarus Factor - Riker's father strikes me as a jerk, but it also feels like Riker has some weird emotional baggage in this one.
  • Pen Pals - A decent Data episode undermined by Wesley Crusher in charge of adults.
  • Q Who - We are introduced to the Borg... in which me watching Voyager first sort of ruins this moment.  Q is interesting because he's so all powerful, but he's also eccentric (I would be too with infinite powers).
  • Samaritan Snare - For once a B story involving Wesley Crusher is not that annoying.  I actually enjoyed this episode because my interpretation of the aliens is much different than most fans.
  • Up The Long Ladder - It's an okay episode.  The only thing I can remember is that I have a thing for red heads from the United Kingdom.  Irish/Scottish Redhead as soulmate = goals in life.
  • Manhunt - Lwaxana Troi episodes are kind of stupid.  But the sight gag of Riker trying to lift her luggage is hilarious.
  • The Emissary - Klingons are very ugly, but K'Ehleyr proves me wrong.
  • Peak Performance - Roy Brocksmith plays an alien Roy Brocksmith
  • Shades of Gray - Simpsons did it.
  • Epic Post 1

Season 3

• Evolution - A decent episode that strangely enough was not ruined by Wonderboy.  At least the uniforms are professional looking now.
  • The Ensigns of Command - Star Trek's interpretation of "I was born and raised here" sons of the soil doesn't make sense.  On the other hand, this was part of a clip for Honest Trailers.
  • The Survivors - This is a very disturbing episode to say the least.  This is how Q should be portrayed (I feel like he's now played for laughs).
  • Who Watches The Watchers - Picard proves he's a badass by taking an arrow straight to the chest.
  • The Bonding - This episode proves a point that should've been pointed out to Gene Roddenberry:  why the fuck are there family members aboard a starship?
  • Booby Trap - Poor Geordi.  Reading Rainbow man deserves better than this.  And this episode has the greatest dialogue exchange with my favorite Data line.
    • Picard: "Didn't anyone play with ships in bottles when they were boys?"
    • Worf: "I did not play with toys."
    • Data: "I was never a boy."
  • The Enemy - I feel like Romulans look too much like 80's dressed bad guys.  Could be because this episode's air date was 1989.
  • The Price - Somebody else could tell me this, but can somebody tell me what Matt McCoy's appeal is?  This guy couldn't hold a candle to Steve Guttenberg, gets eaten by an alien in Deep Star Six, and more or less is almost overmatched by Rebecca DeMornay.
  • The Vengeance Factor - Riker really didn't have to kill her.  On the other hand, it's nice knowing phasers have a setting besides stun.
  • The Defector - This was a pretty good episode, but the Romulan idea of mind games can get annoying.
  • The Hunted - I liked this episode because it was Picard's moment of "Your monkey, your circus.  So fuck you, that's why".
  • The High Ground - Crusher is captured by a terrorist organization.  This episode feels very on the nose about issues with terrorism.
  • Deja Q - A bizarre Q episode which makes it feel like all dealings with the Q have no consequence.
  • Yesterday's Enterprise - I agree with the classic status Trek fans give this episode.  It almost feels like Gene Roddenberry was told to stay away from this episode.  Tasha Yar finally gets a better send-off on this one.  But the most important aspect of this episode is we get to see Lt. Richard Castillo die and reincarnate as Shooter McGavin.  I'm loving these episodes of Star Trek with appearances by actors/actresses I know.  The episode from a previous season had Teri Hatcher.  I wonder who I've missed?
  • The Offspring - This episode is.. really sad.  The good kind of sad.
  • Sins of the Father - I liked this episode.  It's good to see something outside of clean Federation space.
  • Allegiance - Somebody in another thread said it best, but this is the sort of episode you will never get to see in modern television.  Having said that, this was a boring one-off.
  • Captain's Holiday - I remember watching the first 15 minutes of this episode way way back in the day, and thinking Picard was lame for the longest time.  I finally watch the whole of it, and he totally redeems himself.  Picard does have game.
  • Tin Man - This kind of episode kind of proves one of my more frustrating points, and that it makes you wonder how Klingons, or in this case Romulans, have and build empires when they seemingly make bone-headed decisions and subsequently get their asses kicked.  And this episode also proves why mind reading sucks.
  • Hollow Pursuits - My first exposure to Barclay was in Voyager.  It's weird to see how much more super awkward he is in this character's debut episode.
  • The Most Toys - Does Saul Rubinek always play a little shit?  Having said that, it's nice to see more episodes step away from Gene Roddenberry's iron grip on utopia Trek.
  • Sarek - I am starting to really like TNG, but I don't quite fanboy as much.  Having said that, I'm not quite taken with this episode because Spock's daddy was in it.
  • Menage a Troi - A Ferengi episode starring a guy in a supporting role who would eventually become Neelix in Voyager.  And Lwaxana Troi episode that is okay.
  • Transfigurations - A Wesley Crusher episode that didn't annoy the shit out of me.
  • The Best of Both Worlds Part 1 - Not bad.  It's refreshing to see the Borg as a threat.  They were really neutered by the time we got to Voyager.

There are about 5-6 different actors who played many aliens during TNG. Then those same actors became main characters on other series.

There are plenty of actors you will notice from other shows as well. Half the cast of The Shield showed up as transporter room officers.

I just realized I crossed into season 7 territory by accident.  I think after this series I'll take a break and watch Making A Murderer.

And finished.  And given I'm more used to modern television which spans only 10 to 13 episodes, Star Trek TNG really felt like a marathon.  I'm glad to have done it.  But I'm going to keep DS9 on hold as I watch more modern things.

• Like 2
  • Epic Post 1

2 minutes ago, Dimness said:

And finished.  And given I'm more used to modern television which spans only 10 to 13 episodes, Star Trek TNG really felt like a marathon.  I'm glad to have done it.  But I'm going to keep DS9 on hold as I watch more modern things.

:predator:

• WTF 1

35 minutes ago, Dimness said:

Understandable to want to take a break but do come back to DS9. It’s G.O.A.T. Trek. (Amazing continuing storyline throughout all 7 seasons, characters actually change/evolve and these people truly detest one another for the first few seasons lol)

By the way,  I was really enjoying the episode by episode breakdowns you were doing. Why did you stop?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

By the way,  I was really enjoying the episode by episode breakdowns you were doing. Why did you stop?

Digestion.  I really did go from Season 4 to 7 nonstop.  They should be forthcoming.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dimness said:

Digestion.  I really did go from Season 4 to 7 nonstop.  They should be forthcoming.

a0Lgc1JvbfS4o.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dimness said:

tenor.gif?itemid=6155177

• Like 1

Season 4

I think TNG, like a lot of shows deserving of attention, hit their stride around season 3 or season 4.  It really shows.  There's still some clunkers, but man the highs are definitely high.  Season 4 was very good, but there are head scratches in this one.

• The Best of Both Worlds Part II - I like the idea of the Borg more than I like the execution.  I actually enjoyed Riker with the four pips of a captain.
  • Family - This episode hit me in the feels twice.  First, you get to see Picard just break down and be vulnerable in the face of his brother, who he feels has bullied him all his life.  And then there's Wesley.  I forget that at heart he's really a kid who lost his dad, and that speech from his father really did it.
  • Brothers - Brent Spiner does a pretty good job playing 3 roles in this one.  Data, Evil Data, and their creator/father.
  • Suddenly Human - It's fairly obvious in the Star Trek universe no one has heard of the classic genre known as heavy metal.
  • Remember Me - I vaguely remember seeing this when it debuted (or syndication).  It's okay as Beverly Crusher occupies a shrinking universe.  It's kind of boring to be honest.
  • Legacy - In case you're wondering, that's not Linda Hamilton or someone related to her.  The resemblance is uncanny though.
  • Reunion - Worf's ex girlfriend is not that bad looking to be honest.  How Worf didn't get court marshaled for taking vengeance is just kind of mind boggling.
  • Future Imperfect - Riker has a son.  This is statistically possible.  Best part of this episode is Admiral Picard... with a beard and mustache.
  • Final Mission - That captain they hang out with is super stupid.  It's okay.
  • The Loss - Futurama did the 2D beings a bit better.  I'm not sure where this episode went.  The sub plot with Counselor Troi should've been a gold mine, but it wasn't.
  • Data's Day - I kind of like Data narrating his day.  And Keiko and Miles O'Brien have no chemistry whatsoever.  And then there's the person who, surprise, is not a Vulcan but a Romulan.  I don't know what to think at this point.
  • The Wounded - If it was any other actor besides the warden from Shawshank Redemption, I would've believed the captain that the Cardassians (who kind of strike me as pretty big assholes) were plotting something.
  • Devil's Due - When you live in a universe where Q exists, how in the hell do you not suspect aliens (when strange shit happens) as the very first suspect?
  • Clues - I love the sexy of girls in garters, but I'm not quite sure what to think when Whoopi Goldberg does it.  I guess she has nice legs (or it could be her body double)?
  • First Contact - Riker doesn't even try, and he gets laid.  Sure there's a point about the Prime Directive, but it's overshadowed by random alien lady wanting to get it on with Riker.
  • Galaxy's Child - And on the opposite end of the spectrum from Riker is Geordi.  This episode merits some discussion given the era we live in.
  • Identity Crisis - This could've been better.
  • The Nth Degree - This is what happens when you take the awkward out of Barclay, and he could easily pass into super villain territory.
  • Qpid - Out of all the weird allusions/references to have, Work breaking the shit out of a lute definitely feels like an Animal House homage.  And it's nice seeing Vash again, who's sort strikes me as someone who could realistically pass as a younger love interest for Picard.
  • The Drumhead - Not sure courtroom drama works so well, but damn isn't Picard magnificent as always.
  • Half A Life - Would it be too hokey (and self aware) for the crew of the Enterprise to point out Lwaxana Troi sounds an awful lot like the ship?  This is actually not a bad episode.  I kind of like how Lwaxana feels about the guy that has to kill himself because custom dictates it.
  • The Host - I don't remember much to be honest.
  • The Mind's Eye - Man, Star Trek went really dark with Geordi's torture scenes.
  • In Theory - This is a bizarre episode.  Not sure why a human thinks a relationship with someone as emotionless as an android would be a good idea (or a Vulcan, but that's another discussion for another day), but how does "friends with benefits" not cross her mind?
  • Redemption Part 1 - The only thing not surprising is how creepy Gowron's eyes are.
  • Like 1

Season 5

If I were being honest about where I would rank TNG for television shows, it's top ten/top fifteen.  But there's no doubt in my mind that one episode out of this season ranks as my top five/top ten episodes of series television period.

• Redemption Part II - It's kind of laughable that the Duras kid was seriously considered at one point.
  • Darmok - This is a batshit crazy episode about communication between cultures doing things so dramatically different... and it works.
  • Ensign Ro - At this point, I wonder if the Cardassians will ever redeem themselves.  I guess DS9 will have to answer it.
  • Silicon Avatar - It takes an indifferent crystalline entity to stop Riker from getting laid.  Otherwise, a scientist lady seeks vengeance on that same entity.  And Data lands one hell of a figurative gut punch of all time.
  • Disaster - This wasn't bad as Picard is stuck with kids and Worf delivers a baby.
  • The Game - Wesley Crusher saves the day... again.  But holy shit is Ashley Judd cute in this one.
  • Unification - I don't think it's a hot take when I say this was very underwhelming, even with Spock.
  • A Matter of Time - I did not know that guy was Max Headroom.
  • New Ground - I'm not as annoyed with the kid that played Alexander, but this was a meh episode.
  • Hero Worship - This should've been better, but it's okay.  A kid acts like Data to cope with serious trauma.
  • Violations - This is kind of mild, but you kind of wish would've tackled this episode a little better.  This era would've handled mind rape much differently.
  • The Masterpiece Society - Counselor Troi episodes are just boring.
  • Conundrum - I feel like Rick and Morty used the premise from this episode and played it for laughs.
  • Power Play - I kind of enjoyed the cookiness of this when three random aliens take over Data, Troi, and O'Brien.
  • Ethics - I'm more shocked at how medicine isn't more advanced at this point.
  • The Outcast - Yeah this episode would never get made today.
  • Cause and Effect - Groundhog Day
  • The First Duty - Uh, wasn't that guy in Voyager?  And the best part is Wesley Crusher is knocked down several pegs.
  • Cost of Living - Another Lwaxana Troi episode...
  • The Perfect Mate - This episode has some great philosophical implications about free will.  It also features sexy Famke Jansen pre Xenia Onatopp.  Her Klingon growl is somethings else.  Worf's reaction is priceless.  I almost forgot about the holodeck line.
  • Imaginary Friend - Kind of creepy
  • I, Borg - Guinan and Picard sell this episode.  That look on Guinan's face when Hugh tells her the Borg are lonely too hits you pretty hard.
  • The Next Phase - This episode isn't that remarkable, but the thought of being kicked into space scares the shit out of me.
  • The Inner Light - I thought that was Brian Doyle Murray, but the actor's name is actually Richard Riehle.  Anyways, I feel like science fiction is at it's best when it isn't too sciency (not a word, I know).  This is the episode I mentioned earlier.  I haven't been wowed like this in a long time.  That ending is perfect.
  • Time's Arrow Part I - And we end the season on this note.  It's okay, but every episode is a disappointment after the last one.