LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JTello

Tech house cleaning help

I've been doing some housecleaning on my old hardware and files, and was hoping you guys might be able to offer some advice and recommendations. 

First up, I have an old hard drive that died a few years back, and I never had a backup. I want to recover whatever I've got on there, but I've never done this before. Do you have experience with recovery, what did you do? Do you have a trusted place you were able to send it off to? 

I have a couple of old password protected zip files that I don't know the passwords for. Don't get to excited, these a likely unexciting misc. financial things.  😁 Anyway, has anyone done this before. I'm leary of software that claims to brute it open, but I'd be interesting if anyone here has tried. (you can pm me if for some reason it doesn't belong here.)

Was this a boot drive?

As far as just reading the drive you can just stick it in another pc and see if it finds it. If it does there are a couple hoops to jump through, nothing major, and you can start pulling files off it. We had a hard drive failure at work a month or so ago. And while the pc would not boot, another pc made it possible to get the files we needed. 

13 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Was this a boot drive?

As far as just reading the drive you can just stick it in another pc and see if it finds it. If it does there are a couple hoops to jump through, nothing major, and you can start pulling files off it. We had a hard drive failure at work a month or so ago. And while the pc would not boot, another pc made it possible to get the files we needed. 

It was an external drive. And it started to grind. I don't want to attempt to run it, as I assume it'll physically destroy the surface. 

• Like 1