LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Starhawk

A response to the question, "What do you miss about the early internet?"

I miss the wonder of it. New websites popping up I had never thought of before. New mindblowing technologies that changed it forever like animated gifs and frames. Playing games online for the first time and wondering what it would be like when we had faster connections. Realizing you can download things like mp3s, ROMs and software, and what that meant. And yes, discovering new communities of people that shared your interests and becoming a part of them. 

There are are lots of things I don’t miss also. 

Interesting question-I was actually thinking about this the other day.  Not even early internet, but I miss a certain degree of anonymity.  Back when you didn't have to think about what you searched for on Google, or even what you looked at on Amazon.  Back when the only thing that tracked you was your browser history.  Now I just about never search for anything on Amazon just to price check outside of Private Browsing, since it'll be "do you want this? do you want this?  Hey, that thing you searched for is cheaper!" everywhere I go.  I also miss adblockers being a "niche" technology, since now it's gotten to the point where everyone has adblocker detectors.  I'm glad that RSS still works though-google reader may be gone, but Feedly is a decent replacement. 

18 hours ago, Josh said:

I miss when Keith was still funny.

Picking on the Charlie Brown of LCVG is the a low-hanging fruit-type commentary that I'd expect from Joel not from those with a high horse self-important NY bubble pedigree often correlated with fans of failing NFL teams.

• Haha 2