LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Onimusha Warlords Remaster Announced (PC, XB1, PS4. Switch) - January 15th, 2019

From the press release:

High-Definition Graphics - Characters, background graphics, and cut scenes have been given a high-definition upgrade to enhance the visibility on your quest to save the princess.

Widescreen Support, New Display Options - Both the original game's display (4:3) and more standard widescreen display (16:9) are supported. Display settings can be changed between 4:3 and 16:9 at any time in-game. Specific screens, including parts of the menu screen, are fixed at either 16:9 or 4:3.

Screen Scroll Feature - A screen scroll feature has also been added for widescreen display. The background scrolls up and down according to players' movements, showing areas that can't be fully displayed from certain positions.

Analog Stick Support - In addition to the controls from the original, this new release allows players to move using analog sticks. This added feature makes it easier to move instinctively and change directions quickly.

Easy Mode Available From Start - Easy Mode is unlocked for players from the start of gameplay, which wasn’t available in the original game. This addition makes it easier for both newcomers and those who haven't played Onimusha: Warlords for a while to dive into this world right away.

New Soundtrack – A brand new soundtrack and Japanese voices have been recorded to accompany the newest release of Onimusha: Warlords.

New soundtrack is a little worrisome. The original game had an amazing soundtrack to begin with!

Apparently there are issues with the music rights.:(

• Sad 1

Gameplay trailer:

It really really sucks they couldn't get the original music.:( New music sounds pretty solid through but still....

This is a direct remaster of the PS2 original so it does not appear to include any of the features/changes in Genma Onimusha (which was an expanded version of Warlords as you mentioned).  I agree it is the better version of the game. It's also more difficult which may be why I like it more.:)

Still, the PS2 original is a fine game but the loss of the original soundtrack and voice acting is bothersome. I want to support the release as its a series I would love to see return. The fourth game released near the end of the PS2's life but its underrated and very good from what I understand.

Plus, I'd love to see a remaster of Onimusha 2 which is actually my favorite in the series. Jubei was just a great character and starting that game up and seeing it transition into the rain soaked opening was just :banderas:back in the day.

• Like 1

Well I couldn’t wait. I just finished a replay of Warlords on the PS2 including the full Dark Realm, etc.

I think a full series replay is in the works as I’m eager to play 2 and finish 3 which is a game I never finished. I also have Dawn of Dreams which I barely touched past a few hours as it came out near the end of the PS2 life cycle.

I’ll have a series replay thread up soon with thoughts on the first game.:)

• Like 1

20 minutes of Switch footage...

Mew music sounds decent. Hopefully the Japanese VA is good cause lordy do I hate the dub lol.