LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe [Switch] - 11th January 2019

So, is anyone planning on getting this? If you preorder, you get double the number of gold coins, which amounts to $6.00 in credit on the Nintendo Store. I'm tempted, but I'm not sure I want to double dip, especially when I have so many other games already in the pipeline. 

Oh, and here's Digital Foundry's look at the game. It's about what you'd expect--locked 60fps at 1080 while docked with 720p in handheld mode. 

Yes I definitely plan to get it as I never completed it on the U or purchased the Luigi DLC, however it’s not something I will pick up until it appears in an eShop sale. I’ve just too much other stuff to play. 

I still own it in WiiU so aside from portability I can’t really justify it at this time, shockingly ;)

I haven’t rebought a single one of these on the Switch and not starting now. Already own them on the Wii U, there’s not a significant upgrade here (IMO) and until they’re significantly on sale....pass.

Same here-already own this on WiiU, and even though I never bought the Luigi DLC, not going to pay full price again.  It is a nice looking game though, with some really creative levels, but it's also one of the worst "superguide" offenders out there.  Calvin has "finished" it, mostly by letting Luigi beat most of the levels (although he has gotten much better).  No problem with showing "here's how you get past this", but being able to let the CPU beat the game for you kind of defeats the purpose...

I’m still glad they’re doing all these rereleases on the Switch, but I just wish they wouldn’t be at full price. If they were $30 US/$40 CND, they’d be much more tempting. 

• Like 2

In case any of you decide to buy the Switch edition of the game at some point, you’ll want to watch this video:

A bit of an explanation here—the original version on Wii U featured a spin jump move that was mapped to the trigger buttons. You could jump in the air, hit ZL or ZR, and do a little spin move mid-air that gave you just a bit of extra air time. You could use this to cross longer gaps and maybe avoid landing on a hazard. It’s a great little move that is extremely useful.

In New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, Nintendo decided, for some inexplicable reason, to also map this move to the standard jump buttons, A and B. This is in addition to ZL and ZR. Now, if you hit the jump buttons again in mid-air—like if you were getting ready bounce off an enemy’s back—you’ll do a little spin move throwing off the timing of your jump, and probably fall to your doom. Worse, there’s no option in the menu to disable it.

Fortunately, there is a secret way to turn it off. The video above explain how.

1. On the title screen, click down on the left Joycon for about three seconds.
  2. Press L and R (while still pressing down on the left Joycon stick)
  3. If you did it correctly, you’ll here Nabbit’s voice when the game starts.
  4. You must do this every time you start the game to make it work.

After playing through all of the main game, I can tell you that this addition is extremely annoying. I’m kind of pissed that we didn’t find out about it until after I completed the main game, but at least I know now for when I go back to play New Super Luigi U and some of the Challenge levels. Hopefully Nintendo patches it soon so that it can be toggled on/off in the menus.

That move is obviously still in this version, but Nintendo decided, for some inexplicable reason, to allow also map the spin move to the standard jump buttons. That means 

Following up on my post from before the launch of this game, I actually did buy it. I have a hard time resisting a good 2D Mario platformer, and this is one of the better ones, in my opinion. I completed the main game last week and enjoyed it a great deal. The only thing