LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Sony announce the PlayStation Classic for Dec 2018

PSOne games are so hard to go back to. They just look so bad now. I have some nostalgia for a few games, but probably not enough to want to get this. 

If it it can be modded like the Nintendo ones.... then we’ll see. 

• Like 1

There does seem to be a USB port on the back in the right hand corner which might be a way in for hacking and storage expansion. 

I’m down for this stuff. Novelty factor and emotional attachment wins out for me, but honestly Jumping Flash and Ridge Racer Type 4 would have been high on my wish list for such a device, so the fact they are on there makes me ludicrously happy. If the original Wipeout makes it on there then that’d seal it for me (if we assume the same library will feature on both sides of the Atlantic then my fear is lack of popularity in the US and/or potential music licensing issues may prevent it being included, or that they may favour 2097/XL instead. It would be a major oversight though as the original game and its soundtrack was vital to the perception of the of the system on release in the UK. It was totally part of the 90s “Cool Britannia” wave).

I'll be just running them on my PS3, I suspect. Analogue pads for wipEout 3:SE and GT2, wireless controls and the games I'd put on here rather than a bunch of JRPGs that I never played the first time around.

Trying to think of what deserves to be on there. Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill and Wipeout would make sense. Resident Evil as well I guess even though there’s no reason to touch it on PS1 in the era of the remake, although it would be the game prior to sone story changes/additions of course. Presumably Crash will make it but eh, with the remakes it only has historical value on the Classic but that’s OK. Destruction Derby could be fun to see again.

What else?

I’m glad Tekken 3 is on there as it was the first Japanese import I picked up on PS1. 

4 hours ago, Graeme said:

PSOne games are so hard to go back to. They just look so bad now. I have some nostalgia for a few games, but probably not enough to want to get this. 

If it it can be modded like the Nintendo ones.... then we’ll see. 

PSX games on the right setup can look damned fine. Yes you have to put up with affine texture warping and other system eccentricities but the games library is far more enticing than most of these classic/mini systems. The games had more depth and there’s some timeless classics on the system. Also, I’ll take the look of the original PSX over the texture filtered, Vaseline smeared video output of the N64 any day. I’m looking to spend nearly $400 on a modded N64 with Ultra HDMI just because it has the ability to turn all of that shit off and offer a clean output of N64 games (of which I own many).

As for games that should appear her:

Silent Hill

Castlevania Symphony of the Night

Resident Evil (1 and/or 2) - The original game still has its charms despite the remake existing!

Metal Gear Solid

Medal of Honor (and/or Underground)

Tomb Raider (1 and/or 2)

Vagrant Story

Warhawk

Twisted Metal 3

Doom (best Doom soundtrack EVER!)

Ape Escape (no Dual Shock makes this unlikely)

Gran Turismo 2

Parapapa The Rapper

Klonoa 

Einhander

Vib Ribbon

Crash Bandicoot - The remakes are fine games but the platform timing is off and the original simply feels right so there’s something to be said for that and the historical value of having it here. 

Soul Reaver

Wipeout (XL and 3 as well)

Theres more but that’s a good start for a list to pull from.

I would also imagine the unit will support some of the texture smoothing options available on the PS2 and PS3 to help the look of the games in question. It’s only a question of when not if the unit is hackable.:)

Also, the lack of dual shock controller options is problematic. 

• Like 1

I see those games in that video and that price, and I go NOPE!  

But if it comes with, or there’s a chance to add, Wipeout XL, Final Doom and Medal of Honor... then I might cave.

The SNES classic was $80 with a fraction of the memory requirements these games need. You can balk at the game selection, sure but $99 is utterly fair given they’re likely stocking the thing with 16gb of memory at minimum. 

The more I think about this, the more I wonder why the people so excited didn't buy a PS TV; it could run PS1 games, worked with wireless Dualshock pads so you had analogue pads and no cables, did a whole load of other things this can't, and was being sold off near the end of its life for a fraction of the cost of this thing.

Is it really just because it doesn't come in a box that looks like a tiny PS1?

18 minutes ago, iainl said:

The more I think about this, the more I wonder why the people so excited didn't buy a PS TV; it could run PS1 games, worked with wireless Dualshock pads so you had analogue pads and no cables, did a whole load of other things this can't, and was being sold off near the end of its life for a fraction of the cost of this thing.

Is it really just because it doesn't come in a box that looks like a tiny PS1?

https://www.destructoid.com/looking-back-on-the-pstv-hidden-treasure-or-colossal-failure--466891.phtml

That's an interesting look back at it from about a year ago.  I think the main problem there is the fact that you couldn't use regular SD cards with the system.  So while they were practically giving the system away, Sony's proprietary cards are stupidly expensive.  And you need a card for each account, no sharing allowed.

On top of that, the system software isn't all that great and any game using the Vita touch pads was basically incompatible.  

From my memory, I don't remember playing older games as being a huge selling point for the system.  They seemed to just want people to use it as an extension of the PS4 or to put Vita games up on the big screen.

I had no idea SEGA were even prepping a Megadrive mini so I’m happy to wait for them to do it right.

Yes to Symphony of the Night on this thing. Good choice. Parappa too.  Tomb Raider would be ropey as heck but it’s another one that historically deserves to be there, yes.

Ordered one from Amazon. I have faith they won’t pull a Nintendo with the quantities of these though.

Interesting choice to pack it with original PlayStation controllers with no Dual Shock sticks. I kind of like it for nostalgia, but that already limits the choice of games. If they decide to go the route of making this expandable, they could sell the DualShocks and more games later?

No wifi in the specs so I can’t see it being officially expandable (in fact it even says you cannot add games via downloading) so on that basis there’s little reason to imagine them selling dual-shocks.

It is interesting that USB is there though as, like the Nintendo systems, it might be a hint for a backdoor mode. Again though, I can’t imagine Sony officially approving of such a mod so little reason to provide DS1’s.

58 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

No wifi in the specs so I can’t see it being officially expandable (in fact it even says you cannot add games via downloading) so on that basis there’s little reason to imagine them selling dual-shocks.

It is interesting that USB is there though as, like the Nintendo systems, it might be a hint for a backdoor mode. Again though, I can’t imagine Sony officially approving of such a mod so little reason to provide DS1’s.

I'm not sure what's unique or interesting about the USB though? It looks a pretty bog standard USB C connector for power which is pretty standard these days so I wouldn't really expect anything else from a power perspective. The unit doesn't include an an AC adapter because they're expecting folks to power off of a port on your TV, etc.

As far as hacking - its a question of when and how robust it is, not if. Considering the thing has no internet connectivity. I don't see how Sony would have any method of stopping folks from doing it outside of revising the hardware itself. Nintendo could have done that with the NES classic and they didn't. I don't see Sony doing anything either if modding/hacking does become a thing.

Some packaging and vanity console shots:

Dnb5HSuU0AAIx3G.png   

DncEt2YU8AA-GqC.jpg

Dnb5IcEU0AEasbK.jpg

Dnb5H3PUwAA6a9L.jpg 

Dnb5MK6U8AEnYSA.jpg

3 hours ago, Romier S said:

Oh and on the Sega front....

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega-genesis-mini-delayed-to-2019/1100-6461864/

If you’re expecting a Saturn mini....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Sega added that it wants the Sega Genesis Mini to have a "level of quality that Sega fans expect," according to Gematsu.

They don’t expect much nowadays. In fact, we usually expect the worst. 

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

Interesting choice to pack it with original PlayStation controllers with no Dual Shock sticks. I kind of like it for nostalgia, but that already limits the choice of games. If they decide to go the route of making this expandable, they could sell the DualShocks and more games later?

It's a bummer no doubt but limiting in what sense? Ape Escape is the only game that comes to mind that actually required the Dual Shock controller. There are other games that certainly improved thanks to Dual Shock support but it wasn't a requirement and they were still playable.

1 minute ago, iainl said:

Pretty limited definition of "playable" when it comes to Gran Turismo, though.

Fair enough. So that's two....