LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Sony announce the PlayStation Classic for Dec 2018

Tomb Raider and Wipeout are the big omissions for me. Am I ever going to play clunky old Tomb Raider again? Unlikely, but it helped define the PlayStation in the UK (despite the fact it hit other platforms earlier). I do kind of wish Resident Evil was the original release too.

Wipeout gave the Playstation its cool factor during its launch window here and its crazy seeing it ignored. 

Just now, Angry the Clown said:

Am I ever going to play clunky old Tomb Raider again? Unlikely, but it helped define the PlayStation in the UK (despite the fact it hit other platforms earlier).

I was thinking the same, but still wished maybe the original was on there. It was one of the first games I had for the system and I think I may have given it a shot.

It deserves to be on there without question, regardless of whether I’d play it or not. I’d add it if we can hack this thing. These mini systems are like time capsules to me.

Tony Hawk, like wipEout and Die Hard Trilogy, is presumably a victim of music licensing. Which is a pity.

How was the PlayStation Mr. Driller? Even a patch on the Dreamcast one?

To be frank, if you wanted to play the US Revelations: Persona on the Playstation today? An original copy will run you the full price of this unit if not more. 

Super Puzzle Fighter goes for $35 plus. (though you could download the HD version cheaper).

In other words, there is value here even though some of the key games are missing if those games are of interest. 

For me I think there's a missed opportunity here and while I think the game list is fine, it's a far cry from being a definitive list of generation defining titles that you just associate with the Playstation.

No Crash Bandicoot

No Spyro

No Gran Tourismo

No Tomb Raider

No Wipeout

No Tony Hawk

I know we can go on forever about games not included, but those are some of the systems best selling, most loved and iconic games. To not be able to work something out for whatever licensing and other issues that exist for some of these seems like a bit of a waste. 

When the SNES list was revealed, my reaction was “Wow! What a list, they got just about everything they needed”. This one just feels empty. 

When I think PS1 classics, I don’t think Intelligent Cube and Mr Driller. A game like Destruction Derby was certainly a big deal at launch, but I think now it feels like a shallow, first gen, early crack at a 3D game that is better left in our memories. 

Ah well, I guess I was never terribly excited for this to begin with anyway. I suppose I was hoping the games list would get me on board. 

No matter what they announced, 20 games total could never be enough to adequately capture the full breadth and depth of the PSX catalog.

1 hour ago, JFo said:

No matter what they announced, 20 games total could never be enough to adequately capture the full breadth and depth of the PSX catalog.

This is true but even in so far as Sony's catalog, there's a depressing lack of key titles like Gran Turismo,  Parappa or Umjammer Lammy,  Legend of Dragoon, the Discworld titles, Warhawk, Medievil (!!) and its sequel.....I could go on. I mean Medievil is even getting a remake with a trailer hitting in two days. It's a quintessential PSX title beloved by man Sony fans.

I mean fucking Rainbow Six and Battle Arena Toshinden over Medievil and Gran Turismo 2? That's some strange title selection especially considering that both Rainbow and BA:T have aged miserably and Rainbow was a game that could be had on every platform known to man during its peak and every one of them offered a better console experience (especially the DC release). Hardly a Playstation classic.

Here's the Japanese list by the way:

Arc the Lad

Arc the Lad 2

Armored Core

Ridge Racer Type 4

Intelligent Qube

Gradius Gaiden

XI [sái]

SaGa Frontier

G Darius

Jumping Flash

Super Puzzle Fighter IIX

Tekken 3

Toshinden

Biohazard (RE1) Director's Cut

Parasite Eve

Final Fantasy VII International

Mr. Driller

Persona 1

Metal Gear Solid

Wild Arms

I mean I'll take Parasite Eve and Arc the Lad in a heartbeat!

Seems like a lot of missing stuff.  The challenge with hacks is definitely going to be space as well, unless there's a good way to expand the storage.  Plus, still no dual shock...

Of course, if there was a hardware modification for this that enabled more games/storage to be added, it'd be an extra bit of nostalgia for the days of modchips and CDRs.  :)

4 hours ago, Graeme said:

No Crash Bandicoot

No Spyro

No Gran Tourismo

No Tomb Raider

No Wipeout

No Tony Hawk

I think in the case of Crash and Spyro there may have been some pushback due to the remasters. I'm not entirely convinced that argument makes sense as I don't honestly think the crusty old versions would be a threat to the more recent releases (more of a compliment I'd say), but publishers may well apply an oddball logic when it comes to things like this. 

I really do hope we can modify these as it would certainly sweeten the deal. 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

I think in the case of Crash and Spyro there may have been some pushback due to the remasters. I'm not entirely convinced that argument makes sense as I don't honestly think the crusty old versions would be a threat to the more recent releases (more of a compliment I'd say), but publishers may well apply an oddball logic when it comes to things like this. 

I really do hope we can modify these as it would certainly sweeten the deal. 

I’m sure there is some licensing issue with Crash and Spyro. Maybe Activision didn’t want them on there, maybe they wanted too much money, or maybe they didn’t want to hurt remaster sales (that thought had also crossed my mind). 

Whatever the case, it’s a shame. Crash was the mascot/spokesperson for the PlayStation for a time and both it and Spyro were some of its biggest hits. They should be on there. 

Yeah there are two schools of thought for picking the games for this. Do you make the most ultimate definitive games list and add Castlevania SOTN, Crash, Spyro, Medievil, Wipeout, all which have had very recent remasters, or make selections based on the current market. The latter was probably easier to do as well.

14 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Yeah there are two schools of thought for picking the games for this. Do you make the most ultimate definitive games list and add Castlevania SOTN, Crash, Spyro, Medievil, Wipeout, all which have had very recent remasters, or make selections based on the current market. The latter was probably easier to do as well.

Right and to reiterate, I absolutely think there’s still value here. Intelligent Qube is a great game and it routinely goes for $50+ in the aftermarket. I like them choosing some of those games that will cost you to own, etc. Why not Vib Ribbon, then? I’m cool with just about all of those games except for Rainbow Six, Battle Arena (I get it, but it’s poo!) and maybe Oddworld. It already has a fantastic remake on the market if we want to make that argument.

You slot in Medievil or Vib Ribbon, Gran Turismo 2 and Crash or Tomb Raider in their place and I think you’ll have struck a really nice balance there.

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

Wipeout hasn’t really had a remaster in fairness (I wish). The first three are my favourites, the original in particular, but everything about them has been confined to history and never revisited. HD and the PS4 port that followed was great, but there’s just something about those PS1 originals that the subsequent games never captured (the mechanics, the music, the courses, the Designers Republic graphic design...etc). 

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Wipeout hasn’t really had a remaster in fairness (I wish). The first three are my favourites, the original in particular, but everything about them has been confined to history and never revisited. HD and the PS4 port that followed was great, but there’s just something about those PS1 originals that the subsequent games never captured (the mechanics, the music, the courses, the Designers Republic graphic design...etc). 

Right I was totally thinking of the PS4 games. 

wipEout is just brutally difficult, of course, as it doesn't have the sequels' "touching the sides of the track merely slows you down rather than brings you to a crashing halt" thing. So I'd be inclined to put on either 2097 (the one everyone remembers) or 3:SE (the best one of all) myself.

The presence of Mr. Driller just makes me want a Dreamcast Classic.

11 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

Would Vib Ribbon work without the ability to put CDs in?

It’s been available on the Vita as a download for ages. It loses replayability in that form but it’s still an enjoyable game.

The PS3 download retains the CD swapping option.

On 10/30/2018 at 8:35 AM, iainl said:

wipEout is just brutally difficult

I refuse to believe this on account of the fact I was actually very good at the original game.

It's "brutally difficult" in the way that so many games are that get described as such, though - not particularly difficult, but will punish simple mistakes to a level that the average player isn't expecting.

The biggest issue with it, though this is even worse on wipEout64, is that the draw distance on other vehicles isn't good enough for the speed, and rivals can ping into existence just before you crash into the back of them and come to an embarrassing halt.

• Like 1