LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Sony announce the PlayStation Classic for Dec 2018

24 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I'm not sure what's unique or interesting about the USB though? It looks a pretty bog standard USB C connector for power which is pretty standard these days so I wouldn't really expect anything else from a power perspective. The unit doesn't include an an AC adapter because they're expecting folks to power off of a port on your TV, etc.

Right, right, right. It completely skipped my mind that USB is used as the power supply on these things.

6 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Right, right, right. It completely skipped my mind that USB is used as the power supply on these things.

I don't think your entirely wrong in that USB connection being used to interface into a PC for hacking purposes though. Someone just needs to develop a Hackchi equivalent for the PS Classic.:) Spare storage is going to be the big question but hell, people have figured out how to mod in SD card and USB interfaces into the NES/SNES classic to expand it so....

That Porsche driving game was pretty good and was one of the first games to support analog control on PS.  Not that I expect that game to show up.

35 minutes ago, Romier S said:

It's a bummer no doubt but limiting in what sense? Ape Escape is the only game that comes to mind that actually required the Dual Shock controller. There are other games that certainly improved thanks to Dual Shock support but it wasn't a requirement and they were still playable.

Oh wow, I honestly didn't know that (or more likely just forgot). I thought you had to have a Dual Shock to play Metal Gear Solid for example. 

24 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Oh wow, I honestly didn't know that (or more likely just forgot). I thought you had to have a Dual Shock to play Metal Gear Solid for example. 

Nope. You do miss out on interesting stuff like Psycho Mantis making the controller rumble but its not required. You could make the argument that not having the game case would be a roadblock considering you need to grab a codec address from the back of the box art to progress as well though.:)

30 minutes ago, Romier S said:

You could make the argument that not having the game case would be a roadblock considering you need to grab a codec address from the back of the box art to progress as well though.:)

Maybe they could put it on the back of the box for the PlayStation Classic. 

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

I don't think your entirely wrong in that USB connection being used to interface into a PC for hacking purposes though. Someone just needs to develop a Hackchi equivalent for the PS Classic.:) Spare storage is going to be the big question but hell, people have figured out how to mod in SD card and USB interfaces into the NES/SNES classic to expand it so....

That's where I was confusing myself as I had the USB/expanded storage hack of the NES/SNES in my mind.

It'll be interesting to see what's possible here.

I absolutely love 2D retro games but I have a hard time playing 3D retro games, even ones I loved when they first came out like Star Fox. I'm not sure if it's the resolution, the textures, or the framerate but my feeble brain just has a hard time getting over the hump to accepting it and enjoying the retro experience.

I'll have to see what other games are on it and read some reviews before I take the plunge on a PlayStation Classic I think.

So lets play the "Guess the final 20" list:

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Tekken 3
3. Wild Arms
4. Ridge Racer 4
5. Jumping Flash
6. Wipeout (or XL)
7. Metal Gear Solid
8. Resident Evil 2
9. Gran Turismo 2
10. Parappa the Rapper
11. Cool Boarders
12. Crash Bandicoot 
13. MediEvil
14. Twisted Metal (or TW3)
15. Tomb Raider
16. Destruction Derby
17. Warhawk
18. Silent Hill
19. Spyro the Dragon
20. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

The other possibility would be to swap one of those with Syphon Filter.

• Like 1

By the way, on the Genesis Mini front, its official now that Sega are NOT using Atgames anymore. They are having a "proven" Japanese developer work on it (It's M2, isn't it?)

• Like 2

It occurs that all the wipEout titles use CDDA audio, so it’s a piece of cake for them to disappoint a bunch of people by replacing those expensive licensed tracks with the Cold Storage ones from PC; I’d imagine those are a lot cheaper. 

So in this picture:

61oxmMyhzOL._AC_.jpg 

Desperately curious to know what in the hell they have under what used to be the I/O cover on the left.:)

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

So in this picture:

61oxmMyhzOL._AC_.jpg 

Desperately curious to know what in the hell they have under what used to be the I/O cover on the left.:)

Expansion slot! 

Maybe if I keep saying it, it will come true.

I pre-ordered this tentatively although I'm kinda waiting on the release list.  Feel like dispensing with the dual analog was weird.  I'm not sure I had hands on a non-dualshock very much...perhaps for some FF7 and Madden with my college roommate in late 1997/98.

8 hours ago, iainl said:

It occurs that all the wipEout titles use CDDA audio, so it’s a piece of cake for them to disappoint a bunch of people by replacing those expensive licensed tracks with the Cold Storage ones from PC; I’d imagine those are a lot cheaper. 

Yes, although the Cold Storage stuff is some of the best music in the first game.

Absolutely- but it’s not the version people remember, unless they’re weirdos like me who played on PC until PCs got too fast to cope (engine is locked to framerate, and assumes you can only manage 30fps so not even locking to 60 will save you).

21 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Expansion slot! 

Maybe if I keep saying it, it will come true.

It's amazing to me that Sony isn't thinking a bit more strategically about the unit in that regard. Think about actually using the memory card slots as actual expansion slots to open access to additional games instead of just fake nostalgia? They could sell the "memory" cards for $19.99 with maybe 5 additional games a piece.They could release a new card a month or something and market them and the unit as a true Playstation Classic revival console. Officially supported and warrantied.They have over 176 PSX titles on the PSN store.

Instead this is basically a NES/SNES Classic like device. Which is fine! Still, it could have been more.

• Like 1

Here the full list of loaded games....

• Battle Arena Toshinden™
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr. Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee®
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil™ Director’s Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo®
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

No bad games there,  but there are some strange omissions. For £89 I’m happy enough, but it really would be great if we can hack it because.... no Wipeout is wrong. Classic GTA is nice to see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Romier S said:

The lack of Silent Hill is disconcerting. Decent list though and if it’s hackable, it’ll be worth the money.

Literally about to post and say it feels like Silent Hill and maybe Tony Hawk and an Tomb Raider game would have rounded it out nicely.