LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Sony announce the PlayStation Classic for Dec 2018

Wipeout 2097 is the one I'd put on it personally, it's where the series really found its groove + playability. 3SE is good, but it's more fan-focused IMO. 

I so ain't the market for this at the moment though ;) Can't possibly please all the fans with just 20 games.

I’d agree that 2097 helped define the series, right down to public hype for the soundtrack at the time. Still, that first game..... it’s magic to me. I really would love remasters or the classic three but it will never happen.

Three wipEouts, both Rollcages, both Grans Turismo, full complement of Ridges Racer, Porsche Unleashed, a pair of Drivers, Demolition Derbies, TOCA, the Bizarre Creations F1 games, and hang any of this "doesn't involve a vehicle" nonsense.

Edit: And I've forgotten about Curly Monsters' NGen Racing. Never forget about that.

What do existing PS1 emulators do when it comes to multi-disc games? Assuming we do get to hack a PS1 Classic somehow, how might we get Colony Wars, Resident Evil 2...etc on there?

On 11/3/2018 at 7:38 AM, Angry the Clown said:

What do existing PS1 emulators do when it comes to multi-disc games? Assuming we do get to hack a PS1 Classic somehow, how might we get Colony Wars, Resident Evil 2...etc on there?

Sony have already implemented disc switching in downloadable PSX titles on PS3 and Vita. You just hit the PS button and the emulator has a disc switch option there that shuffles the image file. Easy peasy. That’s also built into most PSX emulators stock. 

Im willing to put money on there being a fully hacked OS that supports Dual Shock controllers and most games in less than 6 months. This isn’t a matter of if but when.

Its still a buy from me.

• Like 1

A quick read around suggests that a Pi 3 will emulate most PS1 games at full speed (sadly, we've only got the Pi Zero W so I can't test it myself). That should also speak to a DS3 / 4 over Bluetooth. I've got legit discs for the games I'd most want to play and the ability to make ISOs of them. So even if I wanted to put them in a specific console rather than turn my PS3 on I'm not convinced there's a lot of point?

Though buy one of those mini PS1s they made toward the end of its life from eBay for £20, rip the guts out and replace them with a Pi 3 B+, shove in a 128GB memory stick with every game I have and the emulator, and the idea's got properly out of hand and at least as expensive as this thing.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, iainl said:

A quick read around suggests that a P

Though buy one of those mini PS1s they made toward the end of its life from eBay for £20, rip the guts out and replace them with a Pi 3 B+, shove in a 128GB memory stick with every game I have and the emulator, and the idea's got properly out of hand and at least as expensive as this thing.

That’s such a mad idea. Obviously I love it. 

I am worryingly tempted, given that the whole device would then sit next to the PS3 that I could just shove a disc in...

That’s basically what I was thinking, but with the fact that RetroPie supports DualShock 3 controllers over Bluetooth and I like wireless. 

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

That's a nice build, and I like that there's a way to get the controller ports to map so you can use original controllers.  Wonder how hard that is to do? 

Here’s a how to for a build using the original controller ports:

Hope you have a high tolerance for an 8bit rendition of the Disney Afternoon theme on a loop.

Interesting that you can get the controller input in 9 pins.  This actually explains it though-the triangular board in the middle is for a ps1->USB adapter, which is reading the signal.  Looks like the pinout for the controller only has one data connection anyway.  In most MAME builds (at least the ones that use ipac-like devices), the buttons are all a single on/off wire (plus a common ground), so for 6 buttons, credit, start, and joystick, you're looking at 12 inputs per player (which is why an ipac4 has 56 inputs).  The USB adapter means that the hard part is taken care of. 

Also kind of interesting that the PSOne components are through-hole soldered, and not surface mount.  Most of what I know about circuit boards comes from pinball repair, and I know that a lot of 90s stuff was through hole, but I always assumed that was for maintainability.  If a 10 cent transistor blew, you could replace it fairly easily without needing a whole new $300 board.

Looks like a cool project!

I fear my clumsiness with a soldering iron if I took on such a thing. I’m still a touch apprehensive about tackling an SD card mod to one of my old iPods (which is far simpler by comparison).

11 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I fear my clumsiness with a soldering iron if I took on such a thing.

I'm no master with soldering iron, but the best advice I can give you is to not hold it by the flesh-melting metal end as this woman is doing in this stock photo.

stock-photo-beautiful-woman-repair-soldering-a-printed-circuit-board-205937137.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Initial hands-on feedback from the press is not impressing me. Eurogamer feedback...

As a piece of simple engineering, then, the PlayStation Classic is a triumph; a perfectly adorable, shrunken down version of the original that would look just splendid on your shelf. It's only really when you plug it in to play that things start to fall apart a little. The front-end is responsive if not exactly attractive - though its graphical stylings are at least period correct for the mid-90s games it's hosting. There are next to no options - you'll have the ability to enable a screensaver, tinker with power saving modes and language and... That's it. There are no screen filters, and nothing to try and soothe the transition of these games onto TVs that they were never designed for.

The output is 720p, a logical enough choice given the majority of the games here are 244p and upscale fairly cleanly with small black borders either side of the image, but it can't hide the fact that something feels off about how these games look and play. Getting the relatively crude 3D work of original PlayStation games to play nicely on modern displays was always going to be a tougher task faced than by Nintendo with its previous 2D-dominated Classic consoles, but the soft scaling doesn't help its cause, and there's noticeable lag - minimally so when playing a 30fps game such as Ridge Racer Type 4, but much more pronounced in 60fps games such as Mr. Driller or Tekken 3. They feel soupy in the hand - though that's as much the fault of modern displays compared to the more responsive CRTs these games were designed for than anything else.

Bizarrely there’s word of some PAL ISO’s of certain games on the thing according to Kotaku, but apparently it is literally just running the PCSX reloaded emulator so a sizeable chunk of the hacking work’s been done for us.

Kotaku’s hands on with UI images:

https://kotaku.com/playstation-classic-plays-fine-but-it-s-a-bare-bones-e-1830294616?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Lack of visual options is a disappointment. Scanline filter should have been bare minimum.

Considering the emulator, hacking will commence shortly after release lol.