LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Sony announce the PlayStation Classic for Dec 2018

Manged to get the unit hacked and the bilinear filter disabled. I have 10 games on the thing and have been testing. The bilinear hack is HUGE. It pretty much resolves my biggest issue with the PS Classic which was its absolutely horrid video output. What you have post patch is a perfectly crisp output that looks just as a PSX game should look. 

I only wish things were more positive on the compatibility front. A number of games I've tried work beautifully (Parasite Eve, Blood Omen, Tekken 3 NTSC). There are a good number of others that have a myriad of sound issues (Castlevania, Alundra, Silent Hill). There may be settings in the emulator that can be adjusted to resolve those issues but I haven't dug too deep yet.

Realistically, things will get REALLY interesting when Retroarch is officially reported but for now, I can say that the bilinear filter hack goes a long way towards making this thing at least a competent emulator box on the visuals front. I have yet to run into a game with any visual glitches or emulation problems on that front. It's mostly relegated to audio issues right now.

So we've got some good forward progress.

• Like 1

Walkthrough on getting Retroarch working....

I’m gonna wait until the development is a bit more mature but we’re there folks.:)

Yeah it's already dropped to £70 here in the past week. Will consider one sometime next year once the modding is stable (although without access to Windows at the moment there's not much I could do anyway).

£49.85 at Shopto in the UK this morning. Amazon U.K. are matching.

Damn... Retailers want to get rid of these things! (or rather Sony do since this this is looking like a price promotion approved by them).

Saw a similar picture on reddit the other day. I didn't look too much into it, but people following up on the OP could not find that price in Brickseek, but certainly looks like it's happening. 

The link converted to used once they sold out. It was $39.99 before that. It seems like a bunch of places are dropping to $40.

1 hour ago, dogbert said:

Have you tried out the newer versions, Romier? Curious what the verdict is on it a few months down the line.

Yeah, I have 1.0 installed on a flash drive and I’m using an 8bitdo PS Classic receiver to use the DS4 on it and it’s an excellent little emulator box.  The dev community is nowhere near as active as the NES/SNES Classic scene but it’s slowly getting improvements. I mean it’s nothing you can’t get in a Rasperry Pi but they recently worked out how to get the Retroarch cores on the PS Classic interface which will be big moving forward.

• Like 1

One thing I really wanted to do with the Playstation Classic was mod what was actually on the system rather than use Bleemsync over USB. I wanted to remake my own lineup on the internal memory and then use Bleemsync and a USB as additional storage.

So far, I've updated the actual emulator on the Classic itself, so now I can access the menu with all the different options without anything additional installed.

I've also replaced the slowed down PAL version of Jumping Flash! with the NTSC version. 

• Like 1

Auto Bleem looks good! I hadn't heard about it until you mentioned it.

For the on hardware stuff, I was using the FTP and Telnet that Bleemsync installs on the system and these guides:

Replacing a game: https://gbatemp.net/threads/howto-replace-pal-tekken-3-with-ntsc-on-psclassic.531528/

Replacing the emulator: https://gbatemp.net/threads/howto-update-stock-emulator-in-psclassic.531600/