LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Starhawk

Made by Google

I've been using a 12.9" iPad Pro as my secondary and mobile computer in replacement of a laptop. It's great, but there are two major things I've wanted Apple to change that would make it perfect:

1. Full version of Chrome
  2. An optional pointer device

For work, there are certain websites that I need to use that simply don't run in mobile Safari or Chrome. Some services have Apps in the App Store to get around this, but they are almost always lacking in features or functionality. There are also some Chrome extensions I use for work that I simply have to live without when I'm on the iPad.

I made the compromise because I really wanted the tablet form factor. 

Now Google announces their Pixel Slate which is exactly what I want with none of those compromises:

Price also looks good at $599, $799, $999, and $1,599.

Plus that keyboard has a touchpad, is backlit, adjust to any angle, and wraps the front and back of the device. 

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_slate

Also, the Pixel phones are looking good.

I loved these ads for a couple of the features:

Wide angle front camera:

Top Shot:

In a world where I'm bored to tears with an Apple Keynote and Google gets me excited... welcome to 2018 I guess 😆

Pixel Slate looks interesting to me, I've been looking for a tablet/pc to replace my iPad 3, iPad Pro and Surface were always at the top of my list, now Pixel Slate comes along, I'm not sure I'm ready yet, but if the product does well I may end up with a Pixel Slate 2 next year.

As for the Pixel 3, looks nice, but not a fan of the notch on the iphone, the pixel 3, or any phone for that matter. I'll hold onto my Pixel 2 for now and wait for the Pixel 4.

Love the Top Shot commercial :) The Slate looks great and should be a solid tablet with a great keyboard case too. Very curious to read reviews once their out. 

MKBHD's video today finished with 'the Slate (in its current beta form) is a laggy stuttering mess'. It may be great, but if suggest just to some homework as it releases and gets in-depth reviewed. 

1 hour ago, JTello said:

MKBHD's video today finished with 'the Slate (in its current beta form) is a laggy stuttering mess'. It may be great, but if suggest just to some homework as it releases and gets in-depth reviewed. 

I saw him say that today as well. I also noticed it when it was being used in that Engadget video, then watched another video from the Verge and it seemed fine. Hope they get it locked down before launch.

I've got a Pixelbook, last years model, running the latest dev train...Google has some work to do on the performance bugs, some websites just bring it to its knees right now with 8GB RAM.  I understand what they are trying to do with it but ChromeOS is still not close to being ready to go up to iOS from a touch standpoint.  Mouse and keyboard you're fine.  Early days yet and I'm sure it will get better.