LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyN

Your favorite things of 2018-The catch all thread

As 2018 comes to a close I thought it would be fun to have a thread where people can post their favorite things of the year in all sorts of categories. Movies, Movie Moments,  TV shows, Animated shows, Music Albums,  Soundtracks, Video Games, Board Games, Funko Pops,  gadgets, comics, Whiskeys, Bourbons, and whatever else you enjoyed during the year (keep it clean Keith).   

Post whatever categories you want with at least 2 things/ at most 5 things in each category.   We still have a little over a week to go until the end of the year, and I know some people are using this holiday time to catch up on stuff they missed . No rush.

I was gonna do a top 10 thread but here goes:

MOVIES

1. Avengers: Infinity War
  2. Mission Impossible: Fallout
  3. A Quiet Place
  4. Hereditary
  5. Game Night

Honorable mention: Annihilation, Upgrade, Tully, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, BlackKklansman.

TV SHOWS

1. Madam Secretary s4
  2. Blue Bloods s8
  3. Jack Ryan s1
  4. Better Call Saul s4
  5. The Haunting of Hill House s1

Honorable mention: Making Murderer s2,  The Resident s1, G.L.O.W. s2, 9-1-1 s1.

GAMES

1. God of War
  2. Spider-Man

Only 2 games I played this year. 😕

• Like 3

Nice one - I’ll play :)

MOVIES

1. Avengers: Infinity War
  2. Mission Impossible: Fallout

TV SHOWS

1. The Haunting of Hill House
  2. The Fall (older show but I just watched it in 2018)
  3. The Bodyguard

GAMES

1. God of War
  2. Spider-Man
  3. Black Desert Online
  4. Destiny 2 Forsaken

GADGETS

1. AirPods 
  2. Logitech G305 gaming mouse
  • Like 3

This may change today as I remember stuff :)

Movies

Avengers Infinity War

Mission Impossible Fallout

Black Panther

A Quiet Place

Creed II

* I have not seen Into the Spiderverse yet*

TV Shows 

Man in the High Castle S3

Haunting on Hill House S1

The Bodyguard S1

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina S1

Daredevil S3

Animated Series

Voltron

Troll Hunters

Gadgets

Apple Watch 4

LG UBK90 4k Blu-Ray Player :banderas:

Tabletop Games

Lords of Hellas

Keyforge

Giant Killer Robots

Rising Sun

Starship Samurai 

Pop Figures

Capt America vs Thanos Infinity War

Thanos on Throne from end of Avengers

Supergirl NYCC exclusive

John Mclain Die Hard

Baby from Baby Driver

Comics/Graphic Novels

TMNT

Walking Dead

Green Lantern Earth 1 Vol 1

Athena Voltaire

Dark Knights Metal

Vinyl (which in my case is soundtrack release)

Mission Impossible (Mondo)

TMNT The Movie 

Justice League

Luke Cage S2

Star Trek Discovery

Video Games 

Forza Horizons 4

God of War (still need to finish)

Scythe Digital

• Like 3

Good call on the UBK90. My C7P looked great before with the Sony x800 but the UBK90 (especially with DV) took my OLED to another level. 

• Like 1

My favorite thing/moment of 2018 was rediscovering my love for all things retro gaming. Getting back into older games has helped to pull my attention back towards older experiences that I'll happily revisit over playing the latest entry in whatever open world games Ubisoft decided to shit out this year, or the latest Call of Battlefield 12, etc. I love gaming and this year saw some absolutely incredible releases that I played the hell out of but my desire to play modern games is relegated to those titles that truly deserve my attention. Downtime in between those belongs to my retro game setup.:)

On that note, my 2018 Game of the Year list:

1. God of War

2. Spider-Man

3. Dead Cells

4. Shadow of the Tomb Raider

5. Megaman 11

My favorite movies of 2018 (much more to watch!):

1. Annihilation

2. Won't You Be My Neighbor? (seriously, its incredible)

3. BlacKkKlansman

4. Halloween 2018

5 Avengers Infinity War

(Quiet Place and Black Banther would be 6 and 7!)

• Like 3

Let’s do some random stuff...

Movies:

1) Into the Spider-verse

2) Searching

3) Infinity War

TV:

1) Killing Eve

2) The Expanse

Video Games:

1) Spider-man

2) God of War

3) Octopath Traveler

4) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

5) AC: Odyssey (I LOVE Ubisoft open-world shitfests ;))

Anime:

1) Bloom Into You

2) Laid-Back Camp

3) SSSS.Gridman

4) Harukana Receive

5) High Score Girl

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Angel P said:

I need to watch Killing Eve and give The Expanse another shot.

I remember having a problem getting past the 3rd or 4th episode in Season 1 of the Expanse. Did you have a hang-up around the same time? Regardless, thank The Maker I persevered. Off for my oil bath. And, I guess, let us never contemplate droid religion again?

• Epic Post 1

The Expanse is okay for the first part of season one, then it becomes something spectacular. I have Amazon Prime basically because they picked up the series.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robot Monkey said:

I remember having a problem getting past the 3rd or 4th episode in Season 1 of the Expanse. Did you have a hang-up around the same time? 

I never made it to episode 2.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

S1 is definitely slow but the ending is something else. S2 is good as well. I’m waiting for S3 to hit Prime. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Angel P said:

I never made it to episode 2.  

Give it another chance, I implore you.

10 hours ago, Eldorado said:

S1 is definitely slow but the ending is something else. S2 is good as well. I’m waiting for S3 to hit Prime. 

Season 3 is batshit insane.  So glad Amazon picked it up for S4 (and hopefully beyond.)

My lists (subject to change, like Joey, as I remember things)

Movies

-----------

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse

Avengers Infinity War

Black Panther

Mission Impossible Fallout

Searching

TV

----

The Expanse

Bosch

Better Call Saul

The Man in the High Castle

Doctor Who

Games

------------

God of War

Spider-Man

AC: Odyssey

Octopath Traveler

Tetris Effect

(I'm sure RDR 2 would be on here, but I haven't played it yet, waiting for the 4K TV before starting)

Gadgets, etc.

-------------

Nintendo Switch (bought this on a whim because I wanted something I could play while laid up in bed with my blown out back.  Great purchase!)

Xbox One X (don't even have the 4K TV yet, but I can see it's a huge improvement over the standard One, already)

Xbox Game Pass (re-ignited my love of Xbox in a big way)

Google Wifi (It's only been installed for a week, and I can definitely tell it's a mamoth improvement over my old setup.  Super easy to set up, too.)

• Like 3

I watched most of the first episode of the Expanse, and gave up.  It seems OK, it just didn't hook me in.  But I hear great things about that show, I should try again.

2 hours ago, foogledricks said:

I watched most of the first episode of the Expanse, and gave up.  It seems OK, it just didn't hook me in.  But I hear great things about that show, I should try again.

It's a slow build, but worth the time, IMO. It has a unique place in SciFi TV

Games:

For me, this year was all about discovering and falling in love with VR. I got a PSVR in June and have hardly played anything that isn't VR since then. It is, by far, my favorite entertainment thing in years. The experience is just beyond what a game on a TV can provide. I've had a ton of fun trying demos, games and experiences for months. Because of that, I haven't really played any of the big "flat" games this year such as RDR2, God of War or Spiderman.

Top VR Games:

Astrobot: Rescue Mission - Despite some mild disappointment with the game at the outset, I completely fell in love with it by the end. This game really shows just how different a platformer in VR can be, and how great of an experience it is. My only complaint is that I wish there was more.

Farpoint - Farpoint is like nothing I've experienced  before. On the surface it seems like a straightforward, run of the mill shooter, but the immersion added with VR and the Aim controller cannot be denied. It just takes everything to another level. The later parts of the game get really intense, where I was hiding behind cover, peeking out to shoot an enemy and continuously looking around to make sure something wasn't from above or behind me. It's one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

Moss - The "Other" platformer on PSVR. While a fairly simply game, the VR adds so much depth to the environments and characters that it's really gives you some "wow" moments. Quill as a character is completely charming too. This was the game, before Astrobot, that showed off how great a platformer can be in VR.

Firewall: Zero Hour - Despite some ongoing technical and network issues, this is THE online VR multiplayer shooter. Similar to Rainbow Six (but slower paced than Siege), this is the game that really shows what a tactical shooter game in VR can do. It's intense, it's fun, and is the best online game I've played in years.

Beat Saber - THE VR game right now. I've only played the PSVR version, so no custom songs, but it doesn't matter. This is a fantastic rhythm game that can only exist in VR. Just like Guitar Hero and Rock Band before it, it lets you live out a bit of a fantasy (being a light saber master) while it challenges you to keep playing to get better and better. With more songs coming, this one is sure to remain relevant for awhile.

Honorable Mentions - Tetris Effect, Job Simulator, Superhot VR, Thumper, Statik

Non-VR Games:

Monster Hunter World -  This was practically the only non-VR game I played this year. I got quite hooked on it for quite awhile and was playing practically every night for weeks. With that said though, I hit a wall in the story, didn't really like the grind to get past it, and had pretty much moved on when I got my PSVR gear.

Tacoma - Played this early in the year. Really enjoyed it and the story it told. Games like this in VR would be amazing.

Movies:

I ended up watching more movies than I thought I had this year. Most of it though, was getting somewhat caught up with movies from 2017 or beyond. I watched every Marvel movie from Avengers 2 up to Infinity War to see everything finally. I also got caught up on the Mission Impossible films, and some of the awards contenders from 17.

Thor: Ragnarok - The most entertaining movie I've seen this year. Funny, good action, decent story.... crazy. Probably my favorite Marvel film since the original iron Man.

Icarus - A powerful and thrilling documentary. I started watching this late at night and just HAD to finish it before going to bed. The twists and turns are incredible.

I, Tonya - Funny, entertaining, great performances. A great look at this crazy incident in sports history.

Andre The Giant - I'm not a big wrestling fan, but I love documentaries about wrestling. The behind the scenes and real lives of these people are much more interesting than what is told on the screen. Andre the Giant is a love letter to the sport's "biggest" star.

Avengers: Infinity War - I don't particularly like the Avengers movies, or for that matter the last two Captain America movies which might as well have been Avengers movies. They're impressive feats, but they feel too bloated, have too many characters, and rely too much on the viewer remembering past events in previous movies. Infinity War has all that and then some, but it works much better than any of the previous attempts. The ending had been spoiled for me since I didn't watch it for months after its release, but it only softened the impact a bit. I'm more excited for End Game than I have ever been for any other Marvel movie.

Honorable Mentions - BlackKKlansman, Mission Impossible: Fallout, Molly's Game, Game Night, The Darkest Hour, Ant-Man

TV:

In my list I made of all the TV I've watched this year, there certainly seems to be a pattern of a lot of true crime documentaries. The success of Making a Murderer seems to have launched a new genre, and it's one that I've gotten into. With that said though, the tops of my list, are not that.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel S1 + 2 - I'm not a fan of Gilmore Girls. What I've seen of it, I actively dislike. This show has that Gilmore Girls, fast talking pace to it, but it works perfectly. This is like Amy Sherman-Palladino's West Wing after doing Sports Night. A show that absolutely suits her style. I love it. I love the setting, the cast, the humour, just about everything. S2 seemed to have a couple episodes that brought everything to a halt, but they aren't bad, just different. 

Glow S1 + 2 - Another quirky comedy with an interesting premise. It's actually very similar to Mrs. Maisel in a lot of ways now that I think about it. Alison Brie is amazing in it, as is the rest of the cast. I can't wait for more.

Manhunt - I could NOT stop watching this. I remember the Unabomber, but don't really remember the details surrounding it, just that infamous picture and his name. Watching it all unfold was just gripping TV. I can't wait to see what they do for season 2.

Killing Eve - Another gripping show, with very interesting characters. Sandra Oh is fantastic in it, and I love characters like Villanelle that just do whatever they want, and you don't know where their line is (if they even have one).

Last Week Tonight - In this crazy world and the times we live in, this show is what I need to make sense of it all. I love how it presents its facts and how it informs us of issues we may never have known about, but which can affect us all greatly. The only problem I have is, I wish it was on every week, and it can make things feel a bit hopeless at times.

Honorable Mentions - Making a Murderer S2, The Innocent Man, American Vandal S1+2, The Toys That Made Us, Evil Genius, Westworld S2, LA to Vegas.

• Like 4

Man, you guys are NOT kidding about The Expanse. It's incredible!  I'd say you have to give it 4 episodes, and if you're not hooked, it's just not for you. (But you will be hooked)

I'm 2 episodes in to season 2.  Love the characters,  love the sci-fi, the space battle, the political intrigue, the "cop show" aspect. 

Thanks to all who recommended it.  Glad I listened.

Carlos. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Carlucci said:

Man, you guys are NOT kidding about The Expanse. It's incredible!  I'd say you have to give it 4 episodes, and if you're not hooked, it's just not for you. (But you will be hooked)

I've had this sitting in my Amazon Prime Video list to watch forever. Sounds like it's time to give it a shot.

• Like 1

My mom loved the show which I found astonishing. I wouldn't think it's her thing at all.

I think the books kept things fresh for a while by switching up the feel or really, sub-genre. For a while it might be horror, then it will be military SF and then it's intrigue.

I think the show has had some success keeping it fresh by doing the same things.

Season 3 of The Expanse hits Amazon Prime this Friday.

Love the tagline:

ZERO G's.

ZERO F's.

Carlos.