LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angel P

Films - Watched and thoughts 2019

Glass -  It's a well-woven tale of what became of David Dunn and Elijah, as well as the conclusion to The Beast story, began in Split.   Once again, M. Night Shyamalan induced a jaw-dropping twist I never saw coming.  I have a few problems with the pacing, and the action sequence could have used a little more super-human elements to really sell the ending, but all in all, this trilogy deserves a lot of respect. This third movie does not detract from my love of Unbreakable, easily in my top 10 movies of all time, and in fact will make you see David's origin story in a different, but remarkable, light.   

I give it 4 out of 5 Minds of M. Night.

Carlos.

• Like 2

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie with so many flaws that was still so exhilarating to watch. The flaws are many; uneven acting, some very poor editing decisions, a few cliché moments, awkward script at times. I think the single biggest problem I had was that, at a few points in the film, it seemed clear that events had unfolded outside of the movie, that the viewer only sees the consequences of. For a biography this is confusing and pulls one out of the story. Although I must say the film covers a lot of ground, so I'm not sure the answer to this is necessarily more story. I should add, I was never a fan of Queen so, going in, the film didn't interest me on that level.

But, despite all of that, the sizable heart beating at the center of the film far outshines all of the niggling issues. Rami Malek is mostly great as Freddie, and the rest of the band are well cast. The music is very well presented, the performances are inspired, Malek is exuberant to a degree I didn't think possible (only knowing him from Mr Robot, where he is anything but).

By the end, the film is playing on its strengths and finishes in a wonderful, emotionally satisfying, if bittersweet, crescendo.

• Like 3

Told the wife while watching Bohemian Rhapsody:  "That's the kid from Jurassic Park."  Wife:  "What kid?"  Me:  "You know, the kid."  Wife:  "NO WAY!"  Mind blown.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jordan_E said:

Told the wife while watching Bohemian Rhapsody:  "That's the kid from Jurassic Park."  Wife:  "What kid?"  Me:  "You know, the kid."  Wife:  "NO WAY!"  Mind blown.  

Felt the same way when he was in "The Pacific."

Carlos.

2 hours ago, Carlucci said:

Felt the same way when he was in "The Pacific."

Carlos.

I saw that, but wife had no interest, so BR was the first time she saw him since JP.  Think seeing him in BR made her feel a bit old.  LOL.

I did not catch it was him until the Live Aid concert, he smirked like he did in JP.

The Kid Who Would Be King - thoroughly a kids movie in the wheelhouse of Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, etc. Kid has a hard time, kid finds a sword, kid finds out he's a secret hero, kid goes on a quest, kid saves the world, etc. A lot of the messages in it are quite subversively dark - there is zero adult that has any affect on anything going on and have turned the world into a dark, meaningless place, so just literally act like they're not there. I laughed a lot & thoroughly enjoyed Merlin. Definite thumbs up from me, though the kids were a little less enthusiastic because of the length & denseness to it. 

• Like 2

Gaslight (1940, Amazon Prime) - Over the last few decades, and more so in the last few weeks, the use of the term "Gaslighting", derived from this movie, has risen in political discussions.   "Gaslighting" is manipulating another person or group by repeating lies, to get them to question their own sanity, perceptions of reality, and especially their memories of past events. 

I wanted to understand the origin of the term, so I went looking for the movie. Amazon Prime has the earlier (and some say better) British version.  It's a nicely done psychological thriller.  I liked it a lot.  It made you instantly sympathetic to Bella, the victim, while hating the villain.  Great stuff for 1940. It also has a great Can-Can dance scene, which must have been scandalous in 1940!

I give it 4 out of 5 Oceanic wars with Eurasia.

Carlos.

• Like 3

The original Gaslight is indeed a superb film. Anton Walbrook really delivers a complete bastard of a performance. 

The history of the film is very interesting, both for its insight into the ruthless nature of the early Hollywood machine and how callous the film industry was with previously released films in an era where nobody foresaw an afterlife for preserving a movie once it had finished its original theatrical run. In this case, when MGM acquired the original with the view to remaking it they demanded all prints and the original camera negative be destroyed. The British Film institue was able to save the film via way of a surviving nitrate positive. They released a very good Blu-ray in the UK. 

Widows - Some great performances here from Viola Davis and Daniel Kaluuja who are two of the best actors working in Hollywood, IMO. It's a tale of love, revenge and betrayal wrapped into crime drama with political significance and peril at every turn. It doesn't always work and at times buckles under its own complexity but what's here is interesting, well directed and never dull. If you dig a good crime caper with a political tinge, I'd highly recommend it. 

Velvet Buzzsaw - So I *loved* Dan Gilroy's Nightcrawler. It was fucked up in all of the right ways for me. So imagine my delight when I see that he has a new Netflix original film that reunites Jake Gyllenhaal and Renee Russo. Add Toni Collette and John Malkovich and a slew of other talented performers to the mix and this has to be a homerun, right? Ugh no. I sat through this two hour borefest last night and was left wondering why I had wasted my time. To be fair, there's some nice visuals on display and there's a macro commentary about the vapidity of the art community (though apparently folks in the real life art community didn't take kindly to it) but its a generally straightforward dark comedic horror movie that doesn't scare and is rarely funny. Gyllenhaal's performance as the sometimes gay and sometimes not, Morf Vandewalt is uneven to say the least and just downright weird at others. Russo is dependable as the razor focused and brutal head of an art gallery that starts to sell off the work of a dead painter who did not want his work sold. When that happens, supernatural things are afoot. You may come away more positive than I did but the whole thing left me cold and looking at my watch more often than not. I'll just go back to watching Nightcrawler, thank you very much.

Suspiria (2018) - This one is going to be divisive and I understand why. It certainly *FEELS* its length and there's something to be said for this being more style than substance but I dug it. The core of the original Dario Argento classic is here but its takes plenty of liberties. Some good, some bad. The finale is a pure exercise of excess and insanity. It will no doubt lose many viewers who had become accustomed to some of the more muted violence that was doled out slowly throughout the rest of the film. Tilda Swinton is fantastic as the head dance instructor but I question the need to have her play the role of the professor investigating the school as well? Seems needless when they could have cast someone else in the role. She plays it well but the make-up was distracting for me. Dakota Johnson is a knock-out as Susie and her performance is so much more nuanced than that other role she's known for (she's the female lead in those garbage 50 shades movies). Where they take her character and how it all plays out in the end will be most controversial aspect of the film for fans of the original. It's not what you expect but its pretty interesting and the film actually stayed with me for a few days afterwards. As did the soundtrack by Thom Yorke.

• Like 1