LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angel P

Films - Watched and thoughts 2019

Overlord -  Great action, suspense, and gun/fist-fighting.  Pretty good pacing, though there was a point where I wanted them to get on with it.  Not Wolfenstein, but definitely a video-gamer's movie.  All the sets and action sequences could easily have been cut-scenes where you felt like it was going to go into FPP at any moment so you could control the action.

I give it 4 out of 5 Slightly Less Hardcore Henrys.  

7 Days in Entebbe - Complete garbage.  I almost went to see this in the theaters, as I've had a huge interest in the story of this raid for several decades.  But I was warned off from a friend. I'm glad I waited until it was free on Showtime, but I'm sorry I sat through it.  This movie seems to be trying to make terrorism a noble cause, as justified to bring parties to the negotiation table.  Horrid thought, and a terrible depiction of the Jewish leaders quibbling and lamenting their hard line stance before, and even after the raid.   

This movie also tries to juxtapose the actual raid with an interpretive dance sequence, literally.  Well, the only thing worse than a dirtbag terrorist is interpretive dance.  I have no tolerance for either.    Save your time and avoid this.  Watch the earlier film "Raid on Entebbe", with Charles Bronson, instead.  

I give it 0 out of 5 Thunderbolts.

Carlos.

4 hours ago, Carlucci said:

Watch the earlier film "Raid on Entebbe", with Charles Bronson, instead.  

I remember that one and the rival version with Richard Dreyfuss.  The Bronson one was better, if I recall.

Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse - Incredible. Absolutely incredible love letter to the Spider-Man universe. Wonderful characters, beautifully written and genuinely funny as hell. All of that alongside a perfectly cast slew of actors that sell every last sincere moment. Loved, loved, loved it. Nichols Cage as Spider-Man Noir damn near stole the show for me.:)

• Like 3

Bohemian Rhapsody is a mess of a movie. 

How to Train Your Dragon 3 isn't quite Pixar/Disney quality but it's a nice and fitting end to the series my daughter grew up loving.

Free Solo is highly recommended. Not sure who is crazier, the guy climbing without equipment or the woman who wants to be with him.

Free Solo - Fascinating story of the first no-ropes climb of El Capitan.  I really enjoyed it, but it doesn't have the grandeur and spectacle of other climbing documentaries, because of the unknown timing of the climb, and the film crew's respect for the need to avoid distractions and interference.  So, instead of an awesome movie about a never-before-done, unbelievable human achievement, at times it becomes a movie about the making of the movie.  I did love the insight into his thinking, especially as he ponders having something to live for, and reflecting on all who have died attempting free solo climbs. When you've got those two things on your mind, and you still do it, well, it's just super-human.  

I give it 4 out of 5  balls of granite.

A Star is Born - I'm mixed on this one.  It's a good story, and Lady Gaga's acting is great, and of course, her singing is even better.  It just didn't tug at my heartstrings.  It needed more exposition on two major plot points. I also didn't care for Bradley Cooper channeling Ted Levine's speaking style. 

I give it 3 our of 5 ENT doctor visits.

What's Up Doc? (1972) - I'm amazed by the number of people who love the zany madcap movies like Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles, but who have never heard of "What's Up Doc?".   When I was a teen, the local station would show a 3 o'clock movie called "The Million Dollar Movie", and this would frequently be shown.  I was telling my daughter about it, and realizing that I hadn't seen it in decades, decided to buy it.  When you realize it was made BEFORE them both, and contains so many of the same actors , it's hard not to accept it into the same family as the above masterpieces.  It's Madeline Kahn's first movie, and she's incredible.  Ryan O'Neal is superb as the straight man to all the antics befalling him, and of course, Barbra Streisand is magnificent, oozing sexuality (yeah, I wouldn't believe me either) as she cons her way through this laugh-riot of a movie.  I think it delivers more laughs-per-minute than nearly every comedy out there, and once it delves into the physical stunt-comedy in the streets of San Francisco, it ventures into side-splitting territory.  If you've never seen it, make it a high priority.

I give it 5 out of 5 Plaid Overnight Bags

Carlos.

20 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

A Star is Born - I'm mixed on this one.  It's a good story, and Lady Gaga's acting is great, and of course, her singing is even better.  It just didn't tug at my heartstrings.  It needed more exposition on two major plot points. I also didn't care for Bradley Cooper channeling Ted Levine's speaking style. 

I give it 3 our of 5 ENT doctor visits.

I thought I was the only one.  I didn’t consider it a bad movie, just that it did nothing for me.

First off, I didn’t see the previous versions of this story, or the trailer for this, so knew very little going in. 

Instead of the second half of the movie following the rise of Gaga’s character, it mostly focused on Cooper’s downward spiral.  I’m not unsympathetic to people suffering depression but once it no longer became about Gaga, I lost interest.  Also, I didn’t get a sense of time passed.  She went from getting noticed, to getting “pulled” on stage for a duet, to getting a billboard, to getting nominated for a Grammy, to attending the award show.  Unless I missed something, it could’ve all happened over the course of a week.  

The duet was my favorite scene in the movie.

Never been a fan of Gaga but I get the appeal.  She has great pipes and deserved her best actress nomination.  Been a fan of Cooper since Alias in the early 2000s so I’m extremely happy for him getting all these accolades.  Just not my cuppa.  

You enjoyed it more as i only gave it 2 out of 5.  I’d like to hear your opinion on the two major major plot points though.

35 minutes ago, Angel P said:

I’d like to hear your opinion on the two major major plot points though.

You touched on both of them.  His downward spiral and her meteoric rise.  

Spoiler

Tinnitis has got to be a mother fucker.  I'm smart and lucky enough to have protected my hearing while attending some really loud events throughout my life, so I can only imagine how terrible it must be.  They needed to show more about his suffering with that torture, how he self-medicated and drank his way through it, and how it made him suicidal even though he had options (that device his brother wanted him to wear), and why Ally's love didn't give him something to live for. They only showed one fight, for example, and as far as I could tell, she was a loyal and trusting wife to him. Maybe there was a flash of resentment from him over her fame.  I understand suicide often comes from nowhere, but if you want me to feel the tragedy of it in a movie, I need a little more. 

Her meteoric rise.  Needed a quick montage of her ascent, from smaller venues to arenas.  I also thought it was too much, too soon. They needed more of her struggling to deal with that, show more of how that damaged her relationship with Jackson, and her dad.  Super-stardom comes at a price, but the movie never really showed her pay it.  Sure, she lost her man, but he was probably beyond help by the time she met him, so I didn't feel the tragedy of her not being there to save him on that one day.  It also looked like she was going to be just fine without him.

The movie needed one scene at the end -- Ally reaching for a bottle, or pills. Then you have a true tragedy. 

Carlos.

Edited by Carlucci
  • Like 1

Agree with both your points though i couldn’t used more on her rise than his fall.

What's Up Doc? (1972) - I'm amazed by the number of people who love the zany madcap movies like Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles, but who have never heard of "What's Up Doc?".   When I was a teen, the local station would show a 3 o'clock movie called "The Million Dollar Movie", and this would frequently be shown.  I was telling my daughter about it, and realizing that I hadn't seen it in decades, decided to buy it.  When you realize it was made BEFORE them both, and contains so many of the same actors , it's hard not to accept it into the same family as the above masterpieces.  It's Madeline Kahn's first movie, and she's incredible.  Ryan O'Neal is superb as the straight man to all the antics befalling him, and of course, Barbra Streisand is magnificent, oozing sexuality (yeah, I wouldn't believe me either) as she cons her way through this laugh-riot of a movie.  I think it delivers more laughs-per-minute than nearly every comedy out there, and once it delves into the physical stunt-comedy in the streets of San Francisco, it ventures into side-splitting territory.  If you've never seen it, make it a high priority.

I give it 5 out of 5 Plaid Overnight Bags

Carlos.

I love What's Up, Doc? so much!  Reading this makes me want to watch it again.  

• Like 1

CREED II.  Did not like it as much as the first.  Felt too formulaic, especially the 2nd half, but it was serviceable enough.  A good rental, but not a purchase.

First Man - Magnificent. An excellent depiction of the 1960's Gemini and Apollo space programs, and a fine tribute to Neil Armstrong, and his strong, resilient wife.  The movie mostly stuck to the facts, particularly during the moon-landing sequence, but did fictionalize some this-may-have-happened sequences, which is hard to fault them for, since N.A. was a very private man.

I give it 5 out of 5 Giant Leaps.

Carlos.

P.S. I've probably pimped this site before, but here's excellent, real-time audio of the landing itself.  http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/  (be sure to look in the right-top corner of the module pitch angle box to see Neil's heart rate, taken from the actual telemetry)

• Like 1

Prospect (2018) - A small, beautifully simple sci-fi movie. It's one of those 'lived-in' kinds of films, while the scenarios are fantastical, the world is grimy, the tech is lo-fi, and the characters are flawed people. The story is centered around a teenage girl and her father who are literally prospectors in search of a last chance at a big payload. There is a wild-west aspect to the film that never lets up.

My minor, niggling complaints are that the outdoor scenes are a bit too obviously earth (although there is a visible miasma floating through the air, which at least emphasizes the toxic nature of the environs), and the story occasionally stalls, but this is fleeting and things move along well most of the time. I really enjoyed the performances and the writing, and the young actress playing the main character is very good. Also of note is Pedro Pascal from Narcos.

It's funny that this post is right underneath Carlos' First Man review as I was just about to watch that, but remembered a friend telling me about Prospect and decided I was in the mood for something a little more gritty and understated.

Fantastic Beasts:  The Crimes of Grindelwald.  Man, this movie was a chore to get through!  Seemed so disjointed, and obviously suffered from We-Already-Have-A-Multi-Sequel-Deal-in-Place Syndrome.  Even on UHD, wasn't impressive enough to recommend.  Keep reading about the extended cut and wonder if it would tie things up better, but doubt I would want to revisit this one again.    

I really enjoyed it in the cinema. Conversely, I have Strong Opinions about Bad Things in the deleted scenes and will be mostly sticking to the theatrical cut. But I'm a big, dumb Potterhead who's all excited about going on a second trip to Leavesden to see the sets at the end of the month, so coped just fine with the way most of it relies on 'shocking' revelations about who's related (or otherwise) to whom, which character's in or out of love with which other one and so on.

You're right that it's We-Have-A-Multi-Sequel-Deal-in-Place City, however. Fantastic Beasts is a standalone film giving them ample get out if it tanked to cut their losses. $814M Worldwide on that means that they have a hell of a lot of worldbuilding to dump on us in this one, though. Makes even Marvel films look restrained in their balance between making this one exciting and teasing the next three.

Triple Frontier on Netflix was just not good for the cast it has.  Afflecks character starts off one way, then flips on a dime to someone completely different which causes all sorts of stupidity to happen the rest of the film. 

I rarely bother with Netflix flicks, even if some of them look decent, like that one where Mads is looking like Snake Plissken.  

4 minutes ago, Jordan_E said:

I rarely bother with Netflix flicks, even if some of them look decent, like that one where Mads is looking like Snake Plissken.  

There have only been a few good ones over the years.  This one I had bigger hopes for because of the cast.

I started to watch "The Commuter" - I love this type of movie.  But it just sucked.  I quit watching.  I don't have specific criticisms.  I guess it just wasn't funny enough or cool enough or interesting enough to have me look passed the stupid plotline.  I'll accept any plotline if I love the characters enough.  This movie didn't qualify.

2 hours ago, foogledricks said:

I started to watch "The Commuter" - I love this type of movie.  But it just sucked.  I quit watching.  I don't have specific criticisms.  I guess it just wasn't funny enough or cool enough or interesting enough to have me look passed the stupid plotline.  I'll accept any plotline if I love the characters enough.  This movie didn't qualify.

I only suffered through it for Vera.