LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angel P

Films - Watched and thoughts 2019

Bumblebee - It was a good movie, nothing special,  but enjoyable enough.  The whole family enjoyed it!  It's kind of a shame that it came at this point,  it would have been magic had it been the beginning of Transformers in movies. (Animation withstanding).

Imagine an alternate reality where Bumblebee was a small first Transformers movie ever,  a testing of the waters to see what the public's appetite is for Transformers and the nostalgia surge it would surely produce. People would have enjoyed this movie,  but more importantly the anticipation for where a future franchise could go and grow would be significant. 

Unfortunately we don't live in that timeline. We live in one where the Transformers brand was whored out, chewed up and pissed on. I can't imagine there's a lot of public energy/ interest left for the brand. Hell, everything like this also now must try to exist in the shadow of Marvel.  It's good for us as consumers that the bar has been raised,  but it's gotta be one hell of a headache for other similar studios/projects/franchises. 

We deserve Bumblebee, it's a great middle finger to the Bayverse shit. And Gen 1 is what we always should have gotten!  It's easy to forgive Bumblebee's issues due to 'all the above", but sadly and to the contrary,  it's also difficult to love the movie for much of the same reasons. As good as it is, it really should have been even better.

Romier mentioned that John Cena basically sucks (paraphrase), and if this was the first ever Transformers movie not a single person would give a shit. But we've endured enough BS, so it's difficult to put up with him at this point, even given that this movie is still such a fresh breath of air for the brand.

The rather lame storyline revolving around Bumblebee going to earth ahead of the other Autobots would have barely registered with a hungry audience,  but history as it is, the story is eye roll inducing at times. 

I don't know how this is reading,  but I did like Bumblebee,  and I would give it a healthy reccomend.  One must simply go in with tempered expectations and proper perspective.

• Like 1

Terminator: Salvation - I can not take credit for this review as it really is Christian Bale running around and screaming at people.

The Mummy (2017) - It wasn't bad, but you can tell it's going nowhere as a franchise.

Conan The Barbarian (1982) - Watching this movie alone will add 15 pounds of muscle.

Conan The Destroyer - This movie is rated PG. I have no clue how that's possible.

Suspiria (2018) - I had a weird experience with this film as I fell out of love with the original. The first time I watched this movie it was way too dark literally speaking. I watched it again, and I was able to see things more clearly. I suspect it has to do with my sister's/brother-in-law's television. Also, I was able to pick up more stuff the second time around.

I don't like it, but I don't hate it either. Once I got my own idea of what this movie was about, I honestly don't see a reason to revisit it.

I’ve watched Suspiria 2018 a few times now and it grows on me more and more with each viewing. It’s a tough film but man there’s some underlying greatness there, IMO. The atmosphere, performances, etc. It seriously works for me.

Olympus Has Fallen - I would've enjoyed this in my teens.

John Carter - I still enjoy this movie, and I really hate it bombed at theaters.

Detective Pikachu, I can't have been the only person here to see it this weekend, right? Fluffy, funny, well executed, too many jokes killed by the trailers, and largely irrelevant. I enjoyed it, but it's so far from essential viewing. It's a silly premise, executed well, and Ryan Renolds carries it through to the end well. The Kid Who Would Be King is still the best kids movie this year by far. 

• Like 2

I want to see it but I have no real connection to the Pokemon universe having never played any of the games. I thought the trailers were very charming.

I don’t know my Ganglesnoots from my Charizards, and I become deeply confused when Jigglypuff and Kirby are on screen at the same time in Smash Bros, so I’ve deferred seeing it until the new Switch game comes out this winter (though I am tempted to begin my delve into retro shenanigans by picking up one of the original Gameboy games even sooner).

I do love, LOVE, that Bill Nighy has openly admitted that he’s become a sincere fan of the franchise since doing the film, going so far as to house beloved props from the production in his home. I may ask him for advice on where to start as we regularly end up in the same coffee shop.

• Like 2

Fighting with my Family - I enjoyed this movie even if it is a little “by the numbers”. Nothing really stands out with the exception of Jack Lowden as Zack but, nothing was bad either (worth a rental I’d say). I was completely unfamiliar with Paige or the family or any of their story but, it was an interesting and a little different from the standard biopic.

15 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I do love, LOVE, that Bill Nighy has openly admitted that he’s become a sincere fan of the franchise since doing the film, going so far as to house beloved props from the production in his home. I may ask him for advice on where to start as we regularly end up in the same coffee shop.

:diaz:

I saw it on Sunday and enjoyed it a great deal, even as someone that hasn't played a ton of Pokemon outside of a little Go! on my iPhone.

I would like to get the current Switch game.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Magness said:

Fighting with my Family - I enjoyed this movie even if it is a little “by the numbers”. Nothing really stands out with the exception of Jack Lowden as Zack but, nothing was bad either (worth a rental I’d say). I was completely unfamiliar with Paige or the family or any of their story but, it was an interesting and a little different from the standard biopic.

They skipped entire sections of her time in NXT, and the women they had with her were not actual people. 

1 hour ago, Dimness said:

I know jack shit about Pokemon except for Pikachu. Will I enjoy it?

There's definitely lots of nods for the hardcore, and a good few jokes/reveals might fall flat about 'em if you don't know what a Jiggleypuff is, for example, but it should still work. Just don't expect much more than the trailers :)

I've never seen John Wick, but I've been wanting to see them all now.   That triple feature sounds like a great way to see them all for the first time. Enjoy the shit out of that,  I'm jealous!  🙂👍

• Like 1

Cold Pursuit.  Terrible.  Probably the worst movie I've seen in a LONG time!  Laura Dern just disappeared a third into this one, as if realizing what a turd this movie was and bailed!  They were trying for a Fargo-type feel, and failed miserably.    

• WTF 1

Apollo 11 - Very moving and beautiful documentary of the moon landing.  It uses only the original narration from broadcast communication and actual mission audio, plus original animations.  I believe this film captures the mood of the nation, the heroism and bravery of the astronauts, and the contributions of the men and women who made it all possible. It should be shown in every school, everywhere.

-.5 ONLY for overly hammy, and unnecessary, music at times. 

I give it 4.5 out of 5 Small Steps.

Carlos.

• Like 3

Venom - Effects were kind of bad.  Brock was weird.  Kind of entertaining.  Came off as a dummy, but we're supposed to believe he's some hard-hitting writer?  Seems like a mis-cast in that regard.  It felt like this needed to be hysterical but it was a few cents short of a dollar in that regard.  Definitely had funny moments though.  But what superhero movie doesn't.   It was enjoyable.  But I wouldn't watch it again. B-

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Update please.

It was a wonderful experience to have the films shown back to back, since they really play out within weeks of each other, and of course the third one picking up within minutes of the second one ending.

Loved Chapter 3, with maybe my only disappointment being the ending.

Spoiler

I was not fond of the Heel Turn and kept waiting for a "gotcha!" moment, but I do see it was necessary to move the plot forward for Chapter 4.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Whooter said:

Loved Chapter 3, with maybe my only disappointment being the ending.

Reveal hidden contents

I was not fond of the Heel Turn and kept waiting for a "gotcha!" moment, but I do see it was necessary to move the plot forward for Chapter 4.

Spoiler

I’m excited at the prospect of Reeves and Fishburne properly together in a 4th film. Now if they just cast Carrie Anne Moss as an ally... :banderas:

• Like 1