LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (PS4, Switch, Xbox One, PC)

Anyone else playing this? I've heard incredible things from a few respected sources on the retro side of the things. I finally picked it up on the PS4 and am about 20% into it and it is, in fact AMAZING. Seriously, if you have not tried this yet, it is worth every penny of your money. For those unaware, it's a new entry in the Monster Boy/Wonder Boy series that was famous on Sega's consoles (SMS and Genesis in particular). The games have always been of the action/RPG variety with a good dose of exploration and a great underlying art style.

This new game veers into the Metroid/Castlevania style. Yes I know its an overdone genre but FDG/Game Atelier have produced one of the most brilliantly designed versions of this game I've ever encountered and I'm only 1/5th into it. You get upgrades at a regular pace which keeps things interesting. The different animal forms introduce an entirely new style of gameplay for every "level" you visit and there's secrets to discover everywhere you look. The pacing is just flat perfection thus far and the puzzles are designed well enough to stump you but not frustrate.

Did I mention the game is beautiful in motion? Oh and my god the music. Take a look at this list of composers who produced music for this game:

Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage series, Revenge of Shinobi, ActRaiser)

Motoi Sakaruba (Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Super Smash Bros, Golden Sun, Baiten Kaitos games and more)

Michiru Yamane (Castlevania series including Symphony of the Night, Portrait of Ruin, Lament of Innocence, Suikoden and more)

Keiki Kobayashi (Tekken 4/7, Soul Calibur 4, Ace Combat and Starfox Zero)

Takeshi Yanagawa (Shenmue 2, Etrian Odyssey series)

It's veritable who's who of the Japanese elite videogame composers community.

If the game maintains its current standard throughout, it may very well be an early 2019 GOTY candidate for me. Yes, I know it came out last year but I don't care. It's that good so far.

A trailer:

Finished! I did every last possible thing I could in the game....

C85A9F0F-C708-41E6-92DF-9C83B0CE8573.jpeg

0B448580-B85E-4ECB-9323-5771938CE6BB.jpeg

8497C0C3-B05D-41B0-BDDF-E7AD17C847EC.jpeg

As you can see, this is my 15th platinum trophy to boot. I absolutely adored this game. It will indeed be in my 2019 game or the year list when it’s all said and done. It’s that good. The indie gaming scene is rife with metroidvania style games. With and without rogue like elements and with their own gimmicks to set them apart. It’s an extremely oversaturated genre. Monster Boy is metroidvania perfected. It’s a rare game that comes remotely close to this one in terms of sheer brilliance in its level design and puzzles. The haunted manor later in this game may be one of the most amazing 2D puzzle levels ever conconcted on a gaming platform. That is not hyperbole folks. The game just kept getting better and better as it went on and I couldn’t put it down. Nearly 25 hours later here we are and I’m ecstatic to add this one to my collection. In fact, I may double dip for the Switch version so that I have the pleasure of having this on the go.

It looks amazing, plays like a dream and the music will be stuck in your head for days. I couldn’t give this a higher recommendation. Put down whatever you’re playing and buy this now. Trust me, you’ll thank me later. 

• Like 1

I'd never heard of this, but looks really good. Not much time to play lately, but I added it to my wishlist. 

• Like 1

That's a surprisingly high ratio, but does seem to make sense with the design and aesthetic of the game. I think it's also because the game is $40 which is high for an "indie" game on PSN for example, but fits in better with the Nintendo ecosystem pricing.

I think you missed the key part - it’s portable on the Switch and there’s no visual difference between the platforms. They all run 1080p60 (when Switch is docked). So having the ability to have it on the go even at 720p is the likely selling point. I’ll likely double dip when the game hits a sale for the Switch version for that very reason, frankly. 

I got it on PS4 because I planned to play it on my main home theater, controller preference and trophies. I wanted to try for the Platinum. I’d really love for a Nintendo to add a trophy/points system to their platform. It would drive me towards the Switch with these types of games and it would use me to finally spring for a Pro controller ($70 is ridiculous for it though).

Either way, I’m ecstatic the game is finding an audience regardless of the platform! Everyone should play it. I can’t sing it’s praises enough.

I'm glad you started the thread. I've been a little out of the loop, but this thread is still the only mention of it I've organically run into. I hope it can get more attention. 

• Like 1

I’ve always liked the series and had my eye on it before release. Never got around to it until now. Same for the Dragon’s Trap remaster that hit last year that I bought alongside Cursed Kingdom and plan to dive into soon.  By the way, Lizardcube developed that remaster. Who are they? They are working on Streets of Rage 4 as we speak. :)

I love Wonder Boy in a Monster World on the Genesis when I was young. I can’t recommend it enough. If you want to really dive in, there is a fantastic collection of the series available under the Sega Vintage Collection label that was released on the 360 and is Xbox One BC. They were giving it away as part of Gold a little while ago but it’s superb. It collects the original Wonder Boy in Monster Land arcade game, Wonder Boy in Monster World from the Genesis and the previously Japanese only Monster World IV (Cursed Kingdom is a prequel to it). All for $10:

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/Product/Sega-Vintage-Collection-Monster-World/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410b72

Oh and M2 developed it so the emulation simply does not get better. Its worth your money if you’re into retro action adventure platformers titles with RPG elements.

Wonder Boy III The Dragon’s Trap was on the Sega Master System and was one of its best titles. You can see the remaster here (it includes a retro mode that can be switched to with the press of a button ala Halo Anniversary. The same can be done with the soundtrack, too.)