LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

In pursuit of the backlog. Too many games, not enough time and the psychological pressure of having to play/finish everything (2019 End of a Generation Collector's Edition)

I'd previously posed this question in the PS4 thread as we surely hurtle towards its final 12-18months alone before the next gen transitional period kicks into gear. So is anyone else making particular plans for their last full year with the PS4 and looking to step up their attack on the dreaded backlog? This is not to imply anyone has to get rid of the system the moment its successor arrives of course, simply that come next spring/summer it might be taking a back seat to something new and shiny (particularly if the PS5 has no trouble playing our PS4 purchases).

I’m quite satisfied so far looking back over what I have played and completed on the PS4, and aside from some obvious new releases this year I will be looking to catch up on titles of interest that I haven’t yet invested in. Several are on sale right now but I can’t spare the funds, so will be looking to Easter and Summer sales, along with whatever else PS Plus may bring.

I still need to buy both the Horizon and Uncharted 4 expansions, as well as Shadow of the Colossus, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Persona 5 and the Gravity Rush games. I also still want to subject myself to all the Kingdom Hearts games which is probably something I will aim for at the end of the year. I’m sure there’s plenty more too. I’m currently making a list.

Next on my existing PS4 backlog is Yakuza Kiwami, but before I even touch that I’ve got to dedicate time to Mario+Rabbids on Switch, and Celeste on Xbox One.

I still hold that all games shown at E3 last year will hit the PS4 and PS5 isn’t until 2020. I’m in no hurry to move on as I still have tons of games I want to play on the platform. Not to mention the ton of PSVR titles I need to get to. I won’t get rid of my Pro when the PS5 hits either. Same for whatever replaces the X. I’ll just move them over to my Retro setup and cycle in my new consoles.

Also, out of the list of titles you mentioned, I’d recommend Crash on the X. I know it’s a very “Sony” title but you get native 4K on the X. It’s worth the switch. The others make sense.

• Like 1

It just doesn't feel that long since the PS4 came out. I haven't finished, or even started, most of the games I've bought. It's a wonderful machine with a solid catalogue, but I just don't have as much time to play of late.

PS5 may be the first Sony console I don't buy at launch. It would be a dream if it were backwards compatible to several generations, so I can clear some shelf space.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, King of All Cosmos said:

PS5 may be the first Sony console I don't buy at launch. It would be a dream if it were backwards compatible to several generations, so I can clear some shelf space.

For me it’s going to be partially dependent on whether the 5 echoes Microsoft in providing enhanced backward compatibility. Since I’ve no space to continue hanging on to consoles for retro purposes it would help speed up the transition for me if PS4 games played on the 5, and played with improvements. Also, should something like Death Stranding end up being cross gen for example, that’d tempt me sooner rather than later. Otherwise yes, I’ll be holding out longer. With the Pro and X there really needs to be compelling reasons to make me grab a PS5 and XB2 at launch.

The fact next gen is coming next year I’m nevertheless taking as a challenge for me to continue catching up with PS4 titles I’ve yet to play as I cleared a big chunk off my backlog towards the end of last year. That’s all my question is about really. I was just wondering if anyone felt compelled to do the same as the console enters its twilight years so to speak, and what games they aim to catch up on.

Will consider that re: Crash @Romier S. I never honestly understood why people hold Crash quite so dearly so it’s not exactly high on my list (Spyro and the forthcoming Medievil remake are more appealing). I would like to get it though.

I wish I understood Bloodborne. I tried several times. Seems a shame that one of the PS4’s best games just didn’t click with me.

• Like 1

You’ll need to be more specific on what didn’t click for you with Bloodborne? The only thing I have to say negative towards that game is that years on, From and Sony have never addressed the frame pacing issues nor produced a Pro patch. Especially considering it’s status in the PS4 library, that’s a travesty.

Other than that, it’s fucking glorious.:) A game I’ve beaten at least 4 times at this point and I’m planning on a 5th run to finish “The Old Hunters” DLC.

I agree to some extent on Crash, though I still hold them in a positive light. My recent journey through the Spyro remasters definitely highlight how much more I like those games though. I second your anticipation of the Medievil remaster. I adore the original and to a lesser extent, it’s sequel.

33 minutes ago, Romier S said:

You’ll need to be more specific on what didn’t click for you with Bloodborne? 

I wish I knew for sure. I think perhaps it's that my brain struggles with timed actions in unforgiving environments. In a platformer I don't mind. I'll just try, try again (which is why I've taken to Celsete rather than let it drive me insane), but I simply could not grasp Bloodborne. I love the aesthetic and I've every intention of trying to get into it again, I feel I owe it to myself given that it is held in such high esteem, but I perhaps need to watch some videos and do some reading about how best to approach it. It'll be a while before I revisit it. 

I couldn't get into Bloodborne either, and I was looking for a challenge. I don't really like the aesthetic that much, and I just couldn't get into the gameplay. I made it to the first boss and gave him a few tries, and just found myself playing other things. 

Yeah, same boat. I did love the aesthetic but I found it stupid difficult - I struggle with that sort of fast reaction shit. I cannot handle moves in most fighting games, for example.

I got past the first boss, had the first area memorized, then realized I had to basically do that again and just didn’t want to. I don’t think it’s a bad game by any stretch, it just wasn’t what I was looking for from one.

My biggest problem with all of From’s games like this is the way they buffer inputs - I get far too panicky and spam attacks that I can’t cancel out of. 

13 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

The fact next gen is coming next year I’m nevertheless taking as a challenge for me to continue catching up with PS4 titles I’ve yet to play as I cleared a big chunk off my backlog towards the end of last year. That’s all my question is about really. I was just wondering if anyone felt compelled to do the same as the console enters its twilight years so to speak, and what games they aim to catch up on.

I expect I’ll continue to work through my gaming backlog over the next couple years, which is already so ridiculously long at this point that I have a “Pile of Shame” note in my Notes app so that I can keep track of all the shit I haven’t touched yet. The good news is that, aside from the remake of Resident Evil 2 in a couple weeks, there isn’t much in the first quarter of 2019 that interests me. That should (hopefully) allow me to catch up on some of those titles. I do this, not out of any sense of obligation to finish those games before the next gen, but because I simply want to play them. I know I’ll get to them. It’s just a matter of when.

I also expect there to be a bit of a lull when it comes to new game releases after the launch of these new consoles in 2020 or whenever. That could give me an opportunity to further catch up on PS4 and Xbox One titles I missed or still have in my Pile of Shame at that point. I did this after the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One. I had a PS4 on launch day, but hardly played it at all in 2014. I spent a lot of that year—and 2015 for that matter—playing games I missed on PS3, Xbox 360, 3DS, and Wii U. It wasn’t until 2016 when I finally started playing the current gen consoles on a more regular basis.

As for the hardware I have now, I probably won’t get rid of it, simply because I don’t get rid of my old consoles and games after the next gen arrives. It’s far too early to say what I will buy at launch. I have to see what Microsoft and Sony have planned before making any decisions. If both platforms make their new consoles backward compatible as we all expect them to, I may be inclined to get them sooner rather than later, particularly if they allow for the old games to play better on the new hardware.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JFo said:

I expect I’ll continue to work through my gaming backlog over the next couple years, which is already so ridiculously long at this point that I have a “Pile of Shame” note in my Notes app so that I can keep track of all the shit I haven’t touched yet.

Yes I finally gave in and started a spreadsheet to keep track of backlog, previously released games I’d like to buy this year (if discounted for an attractive price), and 2019 releases that I definitely want to buy.

So far it’s looking like a big Switch year for me while I pick at games I had overlooked on PS4, and XB1 keeps me satisfied with so much on Gamepass.

Getting the XB1 has proved something of a blessing and a curse as I’m spoilt for choice for games I want to play, I love the X hardware, but it is perhaps helping to answer a question I had before buying it in regards to whether I can feasibly own and enjoy so many systems again as I get older. I’ve generally been very fortunate in my life in being able to own several consoles at once, but I’ve never felt as overwhelmed by the amount of good content on offer as I do today. 

I fretted over the weekend as I wanted to press on in Celeste but was also eager to finally play Mario+Rabbids so I only played that in the end, meanwhile my brain is also shouting at me for not playing more Smash and Forza. There has to be a way to manage it all. I don’t know how so many of you with marriages and kids do it. I may well need to draft a gaming calendar that dedicates time to game X one evening, game Y another evening...etc. That way I at least have a schedule to stick to.

11 hours ago, JFo said:

I expect I’ll continue to work through my gaming backlog over the next couple years, which is already so ridiculously long at this point that I have a “Pile of Shame” note in my Notes app so that I can keep track of all the shit I haven’t touched yet. 

Share here. 😁

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I fretted over the weekend as I wanted to press on in Celeste but was also eager to finally play Mario+Rabbids so I only played that in the end, meanwhile my brain is also shouting at me for not playing more Smash and Forza. There has to be a way to manage it all. I don’t know how so many of you with marriages and kids do it. I may well need to draft a gaming calendar that dedicates time to game X one evening, game Y another evening...etc. That way I at least have a schedule to stick to.

Honestly, it's just a matter of putting the time in for it. For me that usually means booting up a game after getting my boys in bed at the end of the day. I can squeeze in between 1-2 hours of gaming each night, depending on my mood. At the same time, I usually try to keep a couple games in my rotation that I can play during the weekend in front of the boys. These include games like Forza HorizionSuper Smash Bros. Ultimate, or Celeste (to name a few recent examples). Over the course of an entire year, these small chunks add up. That's why I've averaged +40 games finished in the past 6 years since my oldest son was born. You can get through a lot if you just play a little bit every day.

However, keeping up with all these games does come at a cost. Since becoming a father, I haven't had as much time as I would like for other media, particularly movies and TV shows. I used to watch several shows at any given time as well as regularly watch DVDs, Blu-rays, and Netflix, but that's all gone out the window for the most part. For many of you, I know that's like death, but when your time is as precious and limited as mine is, you have to figure out what your priority is. For me, it's playing through as many games as possible. Everything else is secondary.

Easy Allies had a good letter in their Love & Respect segment a few months back on this very subject. It was a letter from a guy who still managed to play lots of games even after becoming a parent. He offered some tips for folks worried that becoming a parent means that they won't be able to play games anymore. (Click on the video to jump directly to the segment.)

I particularly like his advice to stop playing games you don't like as well as to play only when you want. I know there are many nights when I'm so tired at the end of the day that all I want to do is veg out on my iPad or go to bed. I hate the idea of officially blocking out time on my calendar for it. Then it becomes an obligation and not some I'm just doing for fun.

I can’t play multiple games at once. It’s just not my thing. I feel like I’m short changing the experience when it doesn’t have my undivided attention.

I play one game at a time and then move to the next and I try to squeeze everything that I can out of each game (100%, platinum, etc.). Like Jeff said, it’s about putting in the time every day after the kids are in bed. My wife works overnight shifts at her hospital so the evenings are all mine and I thrive on 5 hours of sleep a night. 

I’ll also second his statement on movies and shows taking a backseat but I tend to go in cycles where I’m big into movies  and taking a break from games and coming back when I’m ready.

I have a healthy backlog but I stopped buying a lot of current gen franchises that do nothing for me (Assassin’s Creed, CoD, Battlefield, Far Cry...pick your poison) so that I could concentrate on things that really interest me.

I’m currently replaying RE7 on the Pro before the RE2 remake hits and I hope to have it and all of its DLC done.

Also, tablets are a god send for TV show watching. I’d say about 80% of my TV viewing is done on my iPad while eating or while I’m in bed or even while I’m in the shower using a Bluetooth speaker to listen.

I remember that Easy Allies episode, Jeff. That was indeed a good Love and Respect. Maybe I need to accept a game like Bloodborne isn’t for me and focus on other games rather than consider giving it one last try. If I am honest with myself I'd need to ask just where in the hell I'd expect to fit in another 30-35hr game like then when I have to be very picky about which games of such length I choose to take on these days. 

Perhaps not being afraid to just walk away from a game is something I need to accept without hesitation again. Ten, fifteen, twenty+ years ago I had little concern doing just that. It’s odd why I might feel differently now, why I might feel a sense of pressure. Is it the era of achievements I wonder, where an incomplete trophy list just serves as a permanent reminder of games I gave up on?

Films for me are, and shall remain, my primary source of media consumption. That obviously makes my gaming time more limited as a consequence. It’s more likely I will watch a film on a weeknight and leave games to the weekend these days. TV is what I’ve let slide most in the last eighteen months having given up on most shows. 

If I can work out how to wield my newfound admin powers to turn this conversation into a new thread later I will, or if someone beats me to it, as I fear it’s veering too far from PS4 talk. It’s an interesting conversation (one I’m sure we’ve had in many forms before in the past). edit: Yay. I did it. And I didn't break nothin'. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Romier S said:

I can’t play multiple games at once. It’s just not my thing. I feel like I’m short changing the experience when it doesn’t have my undivided attention.

Going back to this. I feel that I can juggle two, maybe three. One larger game of 8-20hrs gameplay (anything longer I’m extra selective about) alongside a drop in/drop out pick up and play game that can amuse me for twenty minutes to an hour. Right now my problem with Rabbids and Celeste is they both fall into the latter category, so one inevitably suffers as they bot scratch the same itch.

I’ll press on with Rabbids and get deeper into it then think about what big games to tackle next. Yakuza Kiwami is sitting there on PS+ but I may defer it to focus on something on the Xbox as there’s not a whole lot left in my PS+ backlog that I am desperate to take on, so a lot of my wants on PS4 will be left to future sale purchases. Much as I’d love to play Resident Evil 2 I’m not buying it until later in the year.

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Films for me are, and shall remain, my primary source of media consumption. That obviously makes my gaming time more limited as a consequence. It’s more likely I will watch a film on a weeknight and leave games to the weekend these days. TV is what I’ve let slide most in the last eighteen months having given up on most shows.  

For me as well although tv is starting to pull even (or even ahead) as the quality of programming is starting to surpass that of movies.  I don’t follow any gaming sites anymore and only listen to 1 gaming podcast.  But I still come on here to read the gaming threads if I find said thread title interesting.  

I still game from time to time.  Bring out the plastic toys for some Rock Band with my daughter, throw on the PSVR for some demos or play 30-60 mins on the NES/SNES Classic.  But I’m just not as interested as I used to be.  Between playing some board games with the family and friends, spinning some vinyl when i get home from work to relax and/or watching some movies/tv shows... gaming has taken a major backseat.  

It’s all cyclical though.  I’m sure something will spark my interest.

My biggest problem is focus, and it really does stem from my issues with ADD. Sitting down and actually finishing a game that takes many hours can be a daunting prospect and it takes something pretty amazing to hold my attention beyond 20 hours.

Which is particularly bad because JRPGs are my favorite games...

I’m more likely to put a few hours in and just piss off for something else that captures my attention. It’s not a quality issue either - Octopath Traveler is one of my favorite games from last year and I can’t get the drive to just sit down and finish it. That’s a huge issue with getting past my backlog, which is stocked with amazing games to go through.

Distractions don’t help - I’m a voracious reader, watch some regular TV (much less than before), then got heavily into anime again last year, board game at least once a week, play in a trivia league each week, and I am training for marathons nearly 80% of the year. A lot competes for my attention. I don’t mind, it’s a conscious choice, but it pulls away from my love of video games.

I’d love to play more video games, but I dunno where I’d fit it in. Literally 90% of my gaming during the week is after the gym in the morning before work when I can sneak in an hour while I hang with the cat. Evenings are mostly spent with my girlfriend and I don’t usually abandon her for games unless something amazing is out (see: RE2).

Basically I need to win the lottery so I can quit my job :).

• Like 1

It does make me think about whether I would adopt three systems next gen. I don’t regret getting the X recently at all as it’s going to serve its purpose for however long I hold onto it. Gamepass is really a brilliant way to catch up on stuff and it is truly an exceptionally well designed piece of hardware. I love the ecosystem MS are crafting for Xbox now. There’s so much value there. It is nevertheless, as I wrote before, something of a blessing and a curse having all that content available to you.

I’ve definitely decided to shift my attention to significant titles of interest on Gamepass once I make satisfactory progress in Rabbids. I did just put a lot of time in with God of War and Spider-man, so it feels OK to neglect the PS4 for a while. It’s funny though, I gave no thought to my use of the word “neglect” there, and that does somewhat tap into the psychology of feeling so torn between all these consoles and games I think. It isn’t neglect at all, not in the purest sense of the word, but more a feeling of neglect. I hate seeing things sit unused so I feel like these expensive items need to be in constant use all the time. That’s irrational self inflicted pressure on top of the pressure felt of constantly reading “you must play this, you must play that and omg how could you not have completed x, y and z”...etc. That’s not exclusive to games either of course. Countless films, books, albums and TV shows fill up the “must” lists, and in the age of so much content being so easily accessible it is of course easy to become overwhelmed by this sense of not wanting to miss out on that thing everyone else seems to be talking about, only don’t blink because they’ll all be talking about something else a moment later.

It actually feels like a challenge to take a step back, hold your hands up and say I’m not going to play Bloodborne, I’m not going to watch Bandersnatch and so on. It’s not necessarily down to lack of desire of course, but something’s got to give. 

I have a large backlog of board games, which is why my purchasing has come to almost a halt. 2019 i plan on playing everything that is unplayed at least a few times. I sneak in playing video games here and there when the itch happens. I recently started Arkham Asylum again. Or I turn on the SNES mini for some older stuff. Xbox game pass is great for trying out some newer stuff, and If I don't like it, nothing lost.

• Like 1

I tend to play 1 “big” game at a time and have 1 medium/small game I’m working through at the same time but, on a different system. With my b-day and Christmas recently my backlog is worse than normal but, gaming is still my favorite pastime so I still play something daily :) In my case, it means I’m working on finishing Spider-Man (my big game atm) and playing for 2hrs or more at a time when I can. This is while also playing Smash on Switch in random bursts (medium game) on a lunch break at work or if I have 30min in the morning or whatever. I’ll also pop onto Destiny 2 a few times a week to run bounties or weekly challenges for an hour or so at a time when I can play with a friend or have a spare hour after work or something. If 1 game is being patched or something delays playing it, then I pop over to something else like Black Desert and just fuck around in the game doing whatever or in VR to play a few rounds of Vox Machinae or something for the time I have. 

Its a little sporadic I guess jumping from game to game but, since most of my medium and small games are not story-heavy it works for me and I still feel focused on my 1 Big game. Once Spider-Man is complete I’ll move on to RDR2 but, I will take the advice in this thread and if it isn’t clicking for me after a reasonable amount of play time I may switch my primary game to something else. 

2 hours ago, Magness said:

Its a little sporadic I guess jumping from game to game but, since most of my medium and small games are not story-heavy it works for me and I still feel focused on my 1 Big game. 

I think it’s a safe approach. Quite honestly, more often than not I NEED that second game running in tandem, again something with easy pick up and play value, just as a break and change of pace. Nintendo games typically appeal to me in that way, but I’ve also been keen to accumulate a few fighting games recently too (besides Smash) and I’ve been grateful for what the Xbox has to offer me in that regard, as well as Forza Horizon which is perfect for any length of play session.

I do think some kind of calendar of sorts would help me though, particularly if I printed it out, just to help remind me that a couple of hours on a Sunday night can be for game X, an hour on a Tuesday night for game y or whatever, provided I’m not preoccupied with anything else.

It was interesting to me how helpful I found printing a plan when I was marathon training a year ago rather than just looking it up daily on a device. I think I need that kind of mapped out structure for a lot of tasks, in fact I know I do (suspect it’s a dyspraxic thing) but I’ve never thought to applying it to something like allocating time for gaming.

I do also try to ensure that my main games in rotation are not similar from one to the next after completion. There’s no way I could have gone from Yakuza Zero into something like Shenmue for example, and certainly not right into Kiwami. I need a change of genre, or at the very least a change of style (so while I went from one third person action game to another - God of War and Spiderman - at the end of last year, their tone was sufficiently different not to feel fatigued).

• Like 1