LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisBardon

Apex Legends: Respawn's F2P Battle Royale Game

Saw the news this morning that Respawn was working on a battle royale game, and come to find out that it's out today:

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends

Looks like it's definitely inspired by Overwatch to a certain degree.  If it moves/plays like Titanfall, it could be great.  Just missing giant robots (which I suppose they could always patch in later).  What's also interesting is that apparently this is what they're building instead of Titanfall 3.

57 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

Saw the news this morning that Respawn was working on a battle royale game, and come to find out that it's out today:

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends

Looks like it's definitely inspired by Overwatch to a certain degree.  If it moves/plays like Titanfall, it could be great.  Just missing giant robots (which I suppose they could always patch in later).  What's also interesting is that apparently this is what they're building instead of Titanfall 3.

Yes, they've confirmed Titanfall 3 is not in development and that's a damned travesty considering how fantastic Titanfall 2 was. The single player campaign in particular was one of my favorites alongside Doom 2016 in the genre in years.

Chasing the battle royale trend instead isn't enticing for me, frankly.

Checked out the hands on over at Giant Bomb, and it looks like it has most of the speed of titanfall, but without giant robots and wall running (although the map doesn't look designed for wall runs anyway).  It does look neat though-not sure if it's something I'd get into.  3p squads is the only way to play right now, and there are some interesting mechanics around reviving/respawning your teammates, where after the "bleed out", you can take a character tag to a node on the map, and bring teammates back, but you're exposed while doing so.  They seemed genuinely positive on the game though, which is promising. 

I suppose the barrier to entry is "free" though, so I suppose no reason not to download it and try it out. 

I also still need to play the titanfall 2 campaign.  I bought it ages ago for 6 bucks.  Still on the semi-infinite backlog...

Titanfall 2 campaign is worth prioritizing. It's really good like Romier said. 

Hearing a lot of good things about Apex Legends, but I've zero time in my life for it. :) Apparently "more" Titanfall to come in another form this year, i.e. not Titanfall 3.

• Like 1

I've had some fun with it over the last two nights...  though I've realized I am absolute trash at this kind of game. :D

• Like 1

This game came out of nowhere. I gave it a shot the last couple of nights as well and I'm really liking it. 

Good comment-I think part of what's so notable about this is that it was announced/released on the same day, which almost never happens for something at this scale. 

• Like 1

Tried my first match and enjoyed it quite a bit, even though I scored a grand zero damage inflicted because I can’t shoot worth a damn.

The feel of the game is very solid - you don’t feel fluffy and too slippery like you do in Fortnite or Overwatch. It felt like a good blend of both and the squad stuff was no big deal.

I’ll definitely give it a few more rounds.

I had a ton of fun playing this with my buddy Saturday night.  It's amazing how casual and laid back I felt playing this game, versus PUBG, which always elicited a visceral fear and rapid heart rate when I played.   No matter how much I tried to convince myself otherwise, I think of PUBG as a war-simulator, which wasn't good for my blood pressure.  Apex Legends is much more my speed.

I had a 3-kill game, and we even managed to get a 2nd place finish on the back of our much more experienced random squad-mate.   Since it's free, everyone should give it a try.  Hope to see some of you on Xbox. 

Carlos.

• Like 1

This game has ruined my plans to finish my Resident Evil 2 playthoughs and then move on the Anthem. It's the only thing I've played the last few days. It's got the hook.

I bought Caustic because I like duplicitous sneaky trapping and he’s fun. Mostly been using the medic, that said, because I frigging suck at aiming so I like to contribute somehow :P

I’m on PS4 if anybody feels like a match or two :).

2 hours ago, Mark E said:

because I frigging suck at aiming so I like to contribute somehow :P

Mark, have you tried any of the aiming presets in settings? I think Im trying "steady" now.

The aiming option is not the problem ;).

Played with a friend of mine and my brother last night for an hour, good good fun. We sucked hard and all but the turnover to the next game is fast enough.

This is a solid fun product, even when you’re dying in the first 90 seconds as you watch six other squads hitting the same area you thought was safe (we laughed the whole way down).

I bought both locked characters, so that’s where I am. I still mostly play Lifeline but I really love Caustic a ton.

I don’t normally care for online shooters but I adore this game.

• Like 3

I'm having a problem where if I'm in a firefight, my right thumb gets too excited and puts too much pressure on the thumbstick, triggering a melee.  At first I didn't know what was happening.  I need to learn some control or they need to give us a customize option to unmap that.  

But, I'm really liking this game a lot too.  It's very fun.  On Monday night I played for short time with my buddy, we got squadded up with a random, and both he and my buddy got dropped.  I somehow managed to survive, scoop up both their banners, zip-line to a redeployment balloon, go up the rope and dive straight to a respawn station.  Respawned both of them.  Felt totally badass.  

I'm mostly using Gibraltar.  I like the little shield while ADS, plus the dome shield.   

Respawn has confirmed that cross-platform play is coming, though they don't say when.  

Carlos.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

I'm having a problem where if I'm in a firefight, my right thumb gets too excited and puts too much pressure on the thumbstick, triggering a melee.  At first I didn't know what was happening.  I need to learn some control or they need to give us a customize option to unmap that.  

I have done the same thing!

I've also noticed that when things get crazy, it sometimes feels like the weapons don't fire correctly and in general feels janky compared to less intense situation. It wasn't until I clipped a video that I noticed the issue audio feedback from firing was missing. It really threw me off when Im expecting a big shotgun blast for example:

• Like 1

I’m particularly loving Gibraltar myself. I have to say playing on PC I haven’t noticed any issues with latency or input lag or audio feedback but, I’m on mouse/keyboard too not a controller. I have the 1070Ti and playing on all high at 60fps and 1080p resolution so nothing too taxing on the PC for this one at those settings. Can’t wait for cross-play now :)

• Like 1

I've really liked what I've done with it so far.  I like that I don't have to talk.  I just wish I didn't have to listen to my teammates.

Game needs a "mute everyone" option.

• Like 1

Put yourself in a private party and keep it on party chat.  Wouldn't that work?  Me and my bud never hear anything from the random we get paired with when we do it that way. 

Carlos.