LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening remake [Switch] - 2019

13 hours ago, Mark E said:

17 games now...

At least they didn’t remake Majora’s Mask again! 😛

• Sad 1

Never played this or Link to the Past.  But I love Zelda and always felt bad that I never played LTTP.   I need someone to tell me if I should be excited for this.  Just looking for an excuse to buy a Switch.  If there are 3 games that I really want to play, I'll get one.  And be pissed the whole time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

Never played this or Link to the Past.  But I love Zelda and always felt bad that I never played LTTP.   I need someone to tell me if I should be excited for this.  Just looking for an excuse to buy a Switch.  If there are 3 games that I really want to play, I'll get one.  And be pissed the whole time.

Link's Awakening is a gem of a game. Well worth playing at some point.

As for the three games you asked for, well...

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

If you aren’t happy with those games, after getting a Switch, I don’t know what's wrong with you.

• Like 1

The only problem with your list is:

1. I played BOTW on the Wii U.  It was great.  Love it.  Top 5 game of the last 10 years
  2. Mario Kart has always been a miss for me
  3. YES!  I want to play Super Mario Odyssey.  So that's 1.

I'm hoping Marvel Ultimate Alliance will be another game?  Maybe this Zelda remake?  Isn't there a Rabbids X-Com like game that I'd like?  Its not a slamdunk yet.

4 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Never played this or Link to the Past.

The Legend of Zelda:  A Link to the Past is the game that got me hooked on gaming.  Don't even remember how I stumbled onto the game, but do remember the sheer fun I had with it.  Never really liked the newer Zelda games, but this remake looks right up my alley.  Already warned my daughter that I might be taking over her Switch for this one.  

21 minutes ago, Jordan_E said:

The Legend of Zelda:  A Link to the Past is the game that got me hooked on gaming.  Don't even remember how I stumbled onto the game, but do remember the sheer fun I had with it.  Never really liked the newer Zelda games, but this remake looks right up my alley.  Already warned my daughter that I might be taking over her Switch for this one.  

Screw that, I'm hoping to get my daughter to play the game.  Always have an eye on that.

24 minutes ago, Jordan_E said:

I remember sitting in my bedroom at the ripe age of 15 years old with my original DMG Gameboy plugged into the wall for hours as I played through the game. I loved it. Despite the blurry ass screen and the inability to move away from the outlet cause I didn't have extra batteries sitting around.

5 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Isn't there a Rabbids X-Com like game that I'd like?  

Mario+Rabbids should be in everyone's Switch collection. It's ridiculously enjoyable. 

I was a bit late to the party on Link's Awakening. I didn't play it until the summer of 1997, mere weeks before the start of my freshmen year of college. By then, my OG GameBoy didn't work anymore, so I played it on my TV using a Super GameBoy. By all accounts, this was probably a better experience than trying to play it on that crappy green screen.

I remember being very impressed with it at the time. It felt closer to its Super NES big brother than the original NES game, which was quite a feat. I love how much is packed into the world. Everywhere you go, there is something to find and something to do. The dungeon design was also excellent--probably some of the best in the series. Mark Brown of Game Maker's Tool Kit touched on this in his Boss Keys video a couple years ago.

I only have two complaints. First, ducking in and out of your sub menu screen to assign items to A and B wawe a pain in the ass, especially as your inventory filled up with more and more items. It was the best solution Nintendo had for dealing with the limited number of buttons on the GB, but it still was not great. I suspect the Switch port will address this in some way.

Second, the presentation wasn't as good as the other games. Yes, I realize that this is a GameBoy title we're talking about here, and that it's as good as you could have hoped for given the system's limitations, but after playing A Link to the Past, with its gorgeous 16-bit visuals and breathtaking orchestral soundtrack, it was hard to go back to the beeps and bloops and monochromatic visuals of Link's Awakening. Again, this is something that will obviously be addressed in the remake. I mean, seriously, this remake may be one of the most stunning games visually on Switch so far. 

Oddly, for as much as I liked it, I've never gone back to it. Maybe I played it once more shortly before the release of Ocarina of Time back in 1998, but that was it. I never even played the DX version on GameBoy Color, which featured improved graphics and an entirely new dungeon. For me, playing this remake will be like playing an entirely new game. The biggest question on my mind now is how much of it will stay the same and how much of it will Nintendo change.

Whatever the case may be, I can't wait to explore Koholint Island once again.

I've gotten rid of all my old Nintendo stuff.  Controllers.  Etc.  But I have a Wii U with several PRO controllers.  Can I use those controllers with the switch, or do I have to buy hundreds of dollars more fucking controllers to play Smash Bros Ultimate with more than two people.  I wish I could fit more swears in that sentence but I'm being lazy.

15 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

I've gotten rid of all my old Nintendo stuff.  Controllers.  Etc.  But I have a Wii U with several PRO controllers.  Can I use those controllers with the switch, or do I have to buy hundreds of dollars more fucking controllers to play Smash Bros Ultimate with more than two people.  I wish I could fit more swears in that sentence but I'm being lazy.

Shit, you're way too fucking optimistic if you think mother fucking Wii U Pro controllers will work on your goddamn Switch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is weird that gamecube controllers keep being supported though.   I just got an adapter last night and hookup up my wavebirds.  :) 

1 hour ago, Kyle-K said:

It is weird that gamecube controllers keep being supported though.   I just got an adapter last night and hookup up my wavebirds.  :) 

All in the name of Smash, my friend. Does it even work with other games? I think you can use it on the Home screen, but that's about it.

That said, I do have one of those adaptors already. I bought it for Smash on Wii U. I plugged it in for Ultimate, played a couple rounds, put it away, and haven’t used it since. The Switch Pro controller works fine for me, and I think it’s actually more comfortable for a game like this.

11 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

I don’t know, man. The reviews are generally positive, but I’m not sure how much I trust reviews on Amazon for something like this. Plus, you can only connect one controller to the adaptor at a time, so you’re still probably looking at buying multiple Switch Pro controllers anyway if you want to do couch multiplayer.

20 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

Guess I'll wait for the next Steam sale to buy the Switch Pro controllers.

Currently available on Amazon for $56.99 (regularly $69.99).