LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisBardon

Any solutions for DVDs that won't read anymore?

I went to try and rip a couple of older DVDs the other day, and when I put the first disc in the PC...nothing.  Wouldn't detect in windows, wouldn't show in handbrake, wouldn't play at all.  Tried another PC-same issue.  Tried the Xbox-same issue.  This is an original disc (my copy of the Kentucky Fried Movie, which I was ripping so that I could prove to some friends that it actually existed) that I've had for ages, probably only played a couple of times, and that has no signs of damage.  Three different drives implies that it's the disc, not the drive that's failed.  Has anyone found a solution that might let discs like this be read again? 

Incidentally, this came up because of the lawsuit around the Carlton dance and Fortnite.  I commented that "that guy hasn't done anything besides Fresh Prince and Amazon Women on the moon" (actually a mistake, since that was David Allen Grier in a Carlton-like sweater in "Blacks without Soul"), and nobody else had ever seen it.  I said it was some of the same guys working in a similar style to the Kentucky Fried Movie, which was when someone said "now you're just making stuff up".  Clearly, there's some education that needs to be done (although I have no idea how well those movies would hold up).

See if anyone has a spin doctor, or any other resurface machine. I had the same issue with some Babylon 5 dvds. 

Doesn’t sound promising. The disc may have “rotted” but can’t hurt to try Joey’s suggestion at this point. Shout did a Blu-ray of Kentucky Fried Movie I think (or Kino? I forget) so there is at least an upgrade from the DVD out there. 

Hold it up to a light source and see if you notice any points where the light shines through. That’s a clear indication of disc rot and if so, your screwed as there’s nothing you can do about it.:(

If not, I would avoid cheap resurfacing solutions as it leaves some pretty nasty residue and clear markings on the disc that look pretty terrible. Plus they are abrasive as hell with very little control over how much of the disc is getting resurfaced. Find a place with a quality resurfacing machine. A local game store chain in my area has a 70k resurfacing machine and they charge $2 a disc. The machine uses soft pads to resurface, leaves no residue or marks and can be set to a low enough setting as not to grind out too much of the disc space.

If it’s a disc you don’t care about though, spin doctor away.;)