LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Sega announces the Mega Drive/Genesis mini.....don’t scoff just yet.

Announced last night at two price points. $70 with one 6 button controller and $90 with two controllers. That will vary per region as some regions get a three button and some won’t have a 1 controller option. It looks like the US is getting three button pads which is a bit of a disappointment but I’d likely import the Japanese one as well. Anyways, here’s some pics/details:

D23v1rAU0AA3svN.jpg

unknown.png

List of titles confirmed for the west with more to come:

Altered Beast

Castlevania Bloodlines

Comix Zone

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

Ecco the Dolphin

Gunstar Heroes

Shining Force

Sonic the Hedgehog

Space Harrier 2

Toejam & Earl

For Japan:

Castlevania Bloodlines

Comix Zone

Gunstar Heroes

Madō Monogatari

Puyo Puyo Tsu

Rent a Hero

Shining Force

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Space Harrier 2

Wrestleball

So why shouldn’t you scoff given the utter garbage Sega has released before with that AtGames tripe on store shelves right now? For two very big reasons:

1. It’s been confirmed that M2 is handling the emulation duties for this mini. Yes, the M2 doing the amazing Sega Ages releases on the Switch and who have been doing the same level of work for years. They are simply the best in the business on the emulation work front.

2. Yuzo Koshiro (composer for Streets of Rage) will be doing the menu music and it’s new stuff from him.

Quick summary:

US will get a Genesis branded console.
40 games in total, 10 announced.
Releasing on September 19 worldwide.
Price will be 6980円 with 1 controller ($70) and 8980円 with 2 controllers ($90)
Controllers will be USB based. 6 buttons on the Japanese version and 3 buttons on the western version.
Save state support.
Confirmed to be developed by M2!
Yuzo Koshiro will be making new music for the menus of the console.

This has the possibility of being the definitive Sega Genesis compilation in terms of the quality of emulation and overall quality if M2 lives up to its reputation and Sega delivers on the hardware. Nintendo’s mini consoles might have some real competition in that regard considering how badly SNK and Sony flubbed their mini consoles.

Very disappointed with no 6 button controller for the US. I would certainly import if that’s the case. 

• Like 1

Maybe if there’s enough feedback they might change their minds and box the 6 button pads in with the system, or at the very least make them available outside of Japan.

Either way I am very excited about this. I think it’s going to be excellent. 

I would as well from a comfort standpoint but being knee deep into the Mega SG, most of the games I’ve been playing are three button only. So there’s that. Still, there’s no reason not to have the 6 button as an option, even as a separate release if necessary. It’s just a better feeling controller.

With the single controller package, the best option would be to import the 6 button controller sold separately in another region since it will be USB and I can’t imagine the core system locking it out.

Who puts this out there right before April 1.  I saw posts about it and instantly thought "April Fools"

10 new titles announced. This legit has the chance to be the absolute best of the mini consoles.....

The new titles:
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Earthworm Jim
- Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
- World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
- Contra: Hard Corps
- Landstalker
- Streets of Rage 2
- Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
- Super Fantasy Zone
- Thunder Force III

Seriously, there isn’t a single throwaway on the list thus far and we still have 20 to go.

• Like 1

Aladdin was same publisher as Earthworm Jim too wasn’t it? It’d be a no brainer for Disney with the remake and potential Signature release of the animated version on home video this year.

Yep, Virgin Games but I don’t know how relevant that is today as to who owns what rights, etc. Still, I agree the timing makes total sense and it was a defining game on the platform. 

My Life in Gaming is doing an hour long documentary on M2. It covers their history in the industry, current projects and more! This will actually be included on a Blu-Ray disc with the upcoming physical edition of Battle Garegga from Limited Run Games (which is an excellent vertical schmup from the company). Here's the trailer for it:

• Like 1

Beyond Oasis, Ghouls'N Ghosts, Phantasy Star IV and Wonder Boy in Monster Land are some of the very best games on the platform. Awesome additions!

Golden Axe is good fun but I prefer the arcade version on Xbox Live Arcade. Street Fighter is meh as I already own 60 versions of it but I can see why its there. Vectorman is decent fun as is Sonic Spinball (but ugh at 30fps on it). Mega-Man is a nice diversion but falls fall short of the originals and Alex Kidd is garbage. The weakest game on the collection thus far.

That doesn’t explain lack of availability in Europe though (don’t think RetroBit have distribution here). Hmmmphhh.

I agree that, a few titles aside, the game lineup really is looking fantastic. Hopefully they really knock it out of the park with the remaining announcements.

10 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

That doesn’t explain lack of availability in Europe though (don’t think RetroBit have distribution here). Hmmmphhh.

I agree that, a few titles aside, the game lineup really is looking fantastic. Hopefully they really knock it out of the park with the remaining announcements.

That was retweeted by Sega Europe and Retro-Bit has an entire Europe division and website so yeah it absolutely explains why Europe isn’t getting the 6-button pad.

Edit: updated after I did a bit of research.:)

• Like 1

It’s a cash grab and that’s a bit shit but yeah, at least there’s an option now.