LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Disney+

It took Disney making a streaming service, to have all the marvel films in one section, Apple should have done that with the different properties years ago for easier searching.

Good news is the movies will be in 4k, as the Captain Marvel demo showed it.

4k HDR is confirmed yes.

Entire classic animated library day one (bigger deal for US customers I guess as Disney dropped their stupid “vault” thing with home video in international markets over a decade ago). 

It’s coming to everything, obviously  (including Switch):

Global rollout at the start of their 2020 fiscal year (i.e fall/winter this year) and expanding into 2021:

Officially announced all the MCU series we have heard about. Also confirmed the animated MCU stuff will use the voices from the movies. One of the What If episodes is about Peggy Carter being the super solider instead of Rogers.

The Mandalorean will be Live at launch.

This is genuinely the most exciting thing announced so far for me:

There’s actually a lot of really interesting documentary content revealed earlier this week coming that I was not expecting from the service at all.

Cinema Relics will be a series with episodes focusing on the making of Tron, Mary Poppins, The Muppet Movie, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and more.

• Like 1

Yeah I am really looking forward to more documentaries on all the Disney properties. 

Pretty much everything they announced I am looking forward to watching, and they have barely touched on Fox properties,

19 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Also confirmed the animated MCU stuff will use the voices from the movies.

Also true for the Monsters Inc series:

Extends to supporting cast like Jennifer Tilly as well.

• Epic Post 1

6 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Yeah I am really looking forward to more documentaries on all the Disney properties. 

I know you commented on Twitter that you’re not quite as surprised to see such content given the popularity of non fiction shows on Netflix, but for me I have phases where I genuinely feel Disney neglects both its cinematic history and its theme park history, so I’m delighted to see them putting the effort into exploring such things. I knew from earlier this week that and Imagineering doc/series was coming but didn’t know it was a Leslie Iwerks project which frankly takes it to another level.

Jeff Goldblum will have a National Geographic series:

There will also be a National Geographic documentary about the wildlife at EPCOT and Animal Kingdom parks:

And yes I completely forgot Disney own National Geographic as part of the Fox buyout. 

Waiting for some Muppet news. I know there is a new series coming (apparently Josh Gad is working on it and it’s supposed to be set in the 80’s after Muppets Take Manhattan, which if true is funny since that’s one of the Muppet films Disney don’t own).

Also waiting to see if we’ll get all of the old  Wonderful World of Disney shows that Walt himself introduced. Likewise all the old cartoons would be amazing. Disney have been archiving all this stuff in (at the bare minimum) HD for years. Old shows like Davey Crocket would b great too.

• Like 1

$6.99 a month (no idea if that’s a fixed price of if there are higher tiers for 4k):

Roadmap for rollout of first five years of content:

Simpsons will be on the service:

It will be the exclusive streaming home for the series. If they are putting up the classics I hope they are the HD remasters but 4:3.

I had a feeling it’d be well priced. DisneyLife, which is the service they have had in Europe for a while with hundreds of movies and thousands of hours of TV stuff, is really cheap at £4.99 a month. Disney+ is really an evolution of that service (UI is similar too).

Curious to know how long after the US the UK will be waiting. The chart did place Western Europe starting at Q1 so hopefully before Christmas here. They’d be stupid to leave it too long because Mandalorian will hit torrent sites very quickly.

• Like 1

Animated Simpsons bit:

So weird to think that, like several major Marvel characters, Simpsons are another thing Disney own but cannot put in their Florida parks due to the Universal licence (unlike Marvel this also expands to the West coast too since Simpsons are present at Universal Hollywood).

Those prices do seem to be fixed, unless they are being sneaky. So $7 a month / $70 a year regardless of whether you can playback the UHD content or not.

Good breakdown of all the content announced so far and what year to expect it:

Another documentary listed (for 2021) is Ink & Paint which will be a companion piece to a brilliant book about the women of Disney’s Animation department in its golden era.

Original Ducktales also listed. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

$70 annual sub available too. US launch is 12th November.

Good starting price, i'll be on board at the beginning for that price.

It’s very promising. I’m absolutely going to subscribe the moment it launches in the UK as the value here is enormous, and since it’s all content they own you know there’s far less chance of stuff ever disappearing without notice. 

I’ll be keen to see how much UHD catalogue content there is, whether films like Honey I Shrunk the Kids and Rocketeer...etc will be new 4k masters of just HD...etc. Curious to see if Sword in the Stone will be a new master or the god awful existing one used for Blu and download too.

They are certainly going all out on these TV series, wonder when in the timeline the Marvel shows will take place.

I'll believe it all when I see it on my TV :) A great set of announcements. 

That annual price is far too good to stay that way for the long term, they cannot possibly be planning to come close to breaking even on that price with no ads or secondary markets on the content they're making, right?