LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Disney+

This seems really good so I’ll likely subscribe once it’s available here. Curious to see the streaming 4K quality and the amount of content in 4K.

4 hours ago, dogbert said:

That annual price is far too good to stay that way for the long term, they cannot possibly be planning to come close to breaking even on that price with no ads or secondary markets on the content they're making, right? 

It’s inevitable, particularly when you look at how much content they plan to have within five years, but at least it’s a low starting point meaning that after two years it might still be under $10 regardless of an increase.

Given the diverse audience their content can appeal to it’s going to be interesting to see if they can lure as many as they hope to the service. I’ve a sense it will send their home video revenue into freefall, but I guess they are prepared for that? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

It’s interesting how there’s very little Fox content announced at present, beyond Simpsons.

You’re not going to get Alien on a platform named Disney+ obviously (although decades ago Alien nearly ended up in the Magic Kingdom), but there’s no sign of animated titles like Ferngully or Anastasia, or stuff like the Ice Age films...etc, or shows like Modern Family right now.

The National Geographic acquisition seems to be the biggest carry over from the Fox deal that they have immediately seized upon.

Have to imagine stuff like Bob’s Burgers and King of the Hill, and the bulk of non family Fox and Disney’s own Touchstone...etc movies end up on Hulu, but they have yet to establish Hulu globally (it doesn’t exist in the UK for example). 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Have to imagine stuff like Bob’s Burgers and King of the Hill, and the bulk of non family Fox and Disney’s own Touchstone...etc movies end up on Hulu, but they have yet to establish Hulu globally (it doesn’t exist in the UK for example). 

Those two examples are already on Hulu FWIW.

• Like 1

And yet... is Bob’s Burgers more risqué than Simpsons, particularly modern Simpsons that seems more concerned in keeping up with Family Guy? It’s interesting how they will approach this stuff.

I guess it could be argued that Simpsons has always straddled a line in appealing to kids and adults, especially back in the late 80s and early 90s when kids loved Bart despite the fact those first two season to this day have some of the most grown up themes the series ever tackled, whereas Bob’s Burgers has been no more offensive but always placed in a time-slot for older viewers.

Still.... I want my Bob’s Burgers ride and restaurant at Disney’s Hollywood Studios park, damn it! (I hope the movie still gets a theatrical release next year and doesn’t now go direct to streaming).

Speaking of the parks. Surely Disney+ will be baked into to the TVs in all their resort rooms and Cruise Ship cabins worldwide? Seems so obvious. I can imagine it being a more custom service at such locations as they might find ways to merge it with all the other resort exclusive tv channel content (by which I mean the park operation hour guides and promotional “things to do around Walt Disney World” channels...etc).

You’re not going to get Alien on a platform named Disney+ obviously 

This immediately made me recall the fact that Nintendo has Mortal Kombat 11 plastered all over the front page of their game store right now.

All they need to do is have parental controls like Netflix has that filters out the adult stuff, and give the adult stuff some "mature" label.

I mean, the Avengers, particularly Stark and Peter Quill, are foul-mouth womanizers and are held up as heroes for children.  I think it is fantastic how loose they are with the foul language with these characters.  Parents just don't seem to care.

Kids heard about Disney+ lineup on the news this morning - "Oh we're so getting that". 

/sigh :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

This immediately made me recall the fact that Nintendo has Mortal Kombat 11 plastered all over the front page of their game store right now.

All they need to do is have parental controls like Netflix has that filters out the adult stuff, and give the adult stuff some "mature" label.

Anything can happen, it just strikes me as unlikely is all. As I say though, the Giger Alien nearly ended up in the Magic Kingdom in Florida when Disney got so far as an early licensing agreement for the property from Fox in the early 90s. Imagineers began developing an attraction called Nostromo that would have put guests on the ship in its closing moments after Ripley triggers the self detonation. They eventually decided it would give guests a heart attack so the concept eventually became the Extra Terrorestrial Encounter with a unique non IP alien, which opened and was popular but nevertheless got closed after eight years when when it was re-themed to the more family friendly Stitch's Great Escape. 

The very thought Eisner had of wanting Giger's Alien in the Magic Kingdom of all parks, not the MGM/Hollywood Studios park, the bloody castle park, still blows my mind. They did eventually work a brief scene from Alien into The Great Movie Ride at the Studios park though (same ride that took you through scenes from Casablanca and Wizard of Oz...etc), but that ride has gone now too. 

Really though, it's the fact Hulu is still going to exist (and possibly as a secondary subscription platform allowing Disney to make even more money) that makes me think that Disney+ will remain PG-13 friendly for franchise and family friendly content. So Sound of Music goes to Disney+, Die Hard goes to Hulu....etc. 

I mean, the Avengers, particularly Stark and Peter Quill, are foul-mouth womanizers and are held up as heroes for children.  I think it is fantastic how loose they are with the foul language with these characters.  

I still can't believe Avengers gets away with "mewling quim" 

I still can't believe Avengers gets away with "mewling quim" 

Or "douchebag" - both gross and tone deaf disparaging name-calling that we all love to use.  Especially medical doctors and sorcerer supremes.

I'm really surprised how low the monthly/annual subscription is for Disney+. Even DC Universe is $7.99/$74.95 and the Disney+ service seems to have a lot more content.

I was kind of meh about it before but with the price and all the newly announced stuff, I'll definitely be getting it day 1. I'm really excited for live action Marvel shows that are better integrated into the MCU than passing references like the Marvel Netflix shows had.

5 minutes ago, MastaRedSnappa said:

I'm really surprised how low the monthly/annual subscription is for Disney+. Even DC Universe is $7.99/$74.95 and the Disney+ service seems to have a lot more content.

I was kind of meh about it before but with the price and all the newly announced stuff, I'll definitely be getting it day 1. I'm really excited for live action Marvel shows that are better integrated into the MCU than passing references like the Marvel Netflix shows had.

Let be clear, though, that as far as I can tell Disney hasn't released details as to what that $7.99 base price includes. Does it include Hulu? ESPN+? They mention the other services sort of as add-ons.

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

Let be clear, though, that as far as I can tell Disney hasn't released details as to what that $7.99 base price includes. Does it include Hulu? ESPN+? They mention the other services sort of as add-ons.

It includes Disney+. The others you mention are separate subs.

From this Verge article: https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/11/18306883/disney-hulu-espn-plus-streaming-service-bundle-deal-likely

"Kevin Mayer, chairman of Disney’s direct-to-consumer division, didn’t waste time stating the obvious: Disney will “likely” sell its standalone, paid subscription services — Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu — as a bundle for an appealing price."

Disney+ is $6.99/mo. Hulu with limited commercials is $5.99. Hulu with no commercials is $11.99. ESPN+ is $4.99. Separately, that's $18 or $24 depending on the Hulu sub. So maybe a bundle like $15 or $20 depending on the Hulu sub?

15 hours ago, dogbert said:

I'll believe it all when I see it on my TV :) A great set of announcements. 

That annual price is far too good to stay that way for the long term, they cannot possibly be planning to come close to breaking even on that price with no ads or secondary markets on the content they're making, right? 

I think you're right. It's an easy way to get around subscription fatigue that so many of us have. Once you have folks in, they're less likely to cancel next year when the price increments up. rinse and repeat.

It's surely their game plan, even if it means losses in the first few years.  Create a service people might say they cannot live without, then start upping the price. As I say though, I think starting so low still means that 2yrs in the price is still likely to have only risen to $9.99. I'm still surprised there is no higher price tier for streaming UHD content though. It still wouldn't shock me if that appears in the fine print closer to November. We'll see. 

They do have something unique here though in that, even outside of the Fox content they now own, Disney have a library of original and exclusive content that Amazon, Apple and Netflix combined could never even dream of having themselves, and by and large much of it is quality content, and IP's that have already resonated with audiences for decades. Given that, in theory, nothing should ever vanish from this service because they are not licensing anything from third parties, I think they are onto a winner here. I'm a big Disney nerd, I will continue buying their physical media releases when available, but I'm subscribing to this as soon as it is available in the UK. Whenever they start bringing the old cartoons and TV Shows to the service, basically everything from those wonderful old Treasures DVDs, I'll be overjoyed. Since they were too lazy to finish up the Muppet Show season DVD sets I am also holding out hope for all that stuff someday. 

I missed one vitally important detail last night:

"Disney said movies would become available on its streaming service only after the traditional theatrical release period and home movie debut, which includes DVDs and purchasing streaming videos"

http://time.com/5569477/disney-plus-streaming-netflix-movies-shows/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+time%2Ftopstories+(TIME%3A+Top+Stories)

After theatrical is obvious, but after traditional media is an interesting and welcome clarification. No specifics on how soon after, however. It's pleasing news though for us Blu-ray and UHD fuddy duddies, and does make their strategy of where Disney+ fits in with their home video plans a little clearer going forward. I'm still clinging to a hope that the possibility of them trying to prep as many 4k/HDR masters as possible for the service is the reason we're still being drip fed UHD discs and that ultimately, disc collectors may in fact benefit from this service existing. 

Disney's stock skyrocketed after the presentation yesterday.  

• Like 1

It sounds like the UK launch should be around the time Endgame comes to home release. So it will be interesting to see whether they put it on straight away to push the service. I know I'd probably take it day one when comparing the price to a UHD.

The other thing that occurs is that Universal still own distribution on Incredible Hulk here; curious to see if that means it will be missing from the service.

16 minutes ago, iainl said:

It sounds like the UK launch should be around the time Endgame comes to home release. So it will be interesting to see whether they put it on straight away to push the service. I know I'd probably take it day one when comparing the price to a UHD.

Endgame will hit home video around August/Sept. Since they’ve said disc and download will retain priority ahead of new releases hitting Disney+ we’re probably looking at anything between a four to sixth month window between disc/digital and new films appearing on + (Cap marvel should hit disc June/July before its November stream debut. Endgame on + would likely be anytime between Dec and February I’d guess).

1 hour ago, iainl said:

The other thing that occurs is that Universal still own distribution on Incredible Hulk here; curious to see if that means it will be missing from the service.

Probably will, as will Spider-Man Homecoming and Far From Home.

Making Captain Marvel their big launch title would also work, sure. So I'll probably get the disc, because I'm an idiot, before subscribing anyway for those sweet documentaries and The Mandalorian.

They confirmed Cap Marvel is a day one title, yeah. The fact they didn't mention Endgame for launch is what leads me to suspect a minimum four month delay between home video/download and Disney+, which is fine. I think that's quite similar to how they have handled the debut of Marvel films on Netflix in the US. So December at the earliest seems quite likely for Endgame.

I'm not sure about Incredible Hulk and the Spider-man films. Disney have no distribution control over them, and Far From Home was not named during the conference. It's possible they could end up on there, but potentially under a non-exclusive agreement. 

Desperately hoping UK gets the service for Christmas. 

Endgame for Christmas makes a lot of sense, looking at that. I still like owning things, but I can see me going for this over Netflix.

I like Netflix, but I never knew why I kept a rolling subscription. It's something I need only dip in and out of subscribing to a few times a year. The price for D+ helps of course, but it's going to be something I will be subbing to annually for sure, and the gradual roll out of content will keep me interested. I'll be like Scrooge in his money vault once old Wonderful World of Disney episodes, entire series runs of the 90s cartoons and (hopefully) the Muppet Show end up on there, not to mention all those US Movie Club exclusive Blu-ray movies they refuse to release outside of the States.  

I could imagine we'd have cut ties with Netflix, it doesn't get enough use to justify these days for us. Thankfully we started getting it free with tmobile, so it's not a thing I have to manage now. I could see getting Disney+ at some point at that cost. Of course if they Jack that cost I wouldn't hesitate to skip it or drop it.