LCVG
kelley

Post Your Gaming PC

Well, the new machine that (hopefully - Just need the mobo & an extra HDD) is getting built before Doom 3 is:

CPU: P4 3.4GHz Extreme Edition

Motherboard: ABIT IC7-Max 3

RAM: 2GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM

HDD: 1 x Western Digital 75GB Raptor SATA & 1 x Western Digital 35GB Raptor SATA plus 1 x 250GB Western Digital 250GB Firewire External

Graphics: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB - This will hopefully get upgraded to a GeForce 6800 GT or Ultra

Sound: Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer

Speakers: Creative Labs Inspire T7700 (7.1)

Monitor: Dell 2001FP 20.1" LCD

Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Multimedia

Mouse: Logitech MX510

Smack dab in the middle for me:

CPU: AthlonXP 3000+

Mobo: MSI K7N2-Delta ILSR

RAM: 1 GB PC3200 Corsair

HDD: 1 35GB WD Raptor (10,000 RPM) / 1 80GB WD IDE

Graphics: Radeon 9800 Pro - No upgrades for this kiddie anytime soon

Sound: Onboard chipset

Speakers: Logitech Z640's

Monitor: 15" Sony SDM-X52 LCD

Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech Wireless Navigator Duo

EDIT: Woops, this was meant to go in the Doom3 thread, sorry, move along, nothing to see here :oops:

I need a new bigger case, my Lian-Li just isn't giving me the amount of cooling I'd like to be seeing.

This case would do the trick. :drool: :tu:

In other news, I'm really happy with the new P4 3.2 setup I built. Even the integrated graphics controller kicks a moderate amount of butt (333MHz!), so I'll continue waiting to see what happens on the PCI-Express graphics card front. I should also be getting the huge new HSF on the CPU this weekend to experiment with a little more overclocking. :twisted:

Ruffneck: How is that Dell 20" FP? Was thinking about ordering one myself. I saw a couple deals out there with free shipping for a hair over $700.

Originally posted by Ryan FB@Jul 23 2004, 11:04 AM

This case would do the trick. :drool: :tu:

In other news, I'm really happy with the new P4 3.2 setup I built. Even the integrated graphics controller kicks a moderate amount of butt (333MHz!), so I'll continue waiting to see what happens on the PCI-Express graphics card front. I should also be getting the huge new HSF on the CPU this weekend to experiment with a little more overclocking. :twisted:

Yeah I was about to buy that case when a guy I know on another forum told me he can pick me up a case from his work at cost, http://www.boxxtech.com

How is that Dell 20" FP?

Best monitor ever. Wicked fast in gaming, no ghosting or anything. The one problem is that it's native re. is 1600x1200, so stuff technically looks best at lower resolutions. I run everything at 1600x1200, so I can't say how stuff looks at lower resolution, but I have to assume it won't look bad at all.

If you're interested here are two stackable coupons you can use at Dell Home to pick it up for 700$.

Stack these two coupons:

9TQTSRPK$JCDST (25% OFF)

?322?H2ST5?V4V ($40 off $400)

Free shipping is included as well.

Well started the ordering of my new pc today. 6800 Ultra ordered, should ship the 2nd directly from EVGA. Ordered Antec TRUE 550 power supply and Audigy 2 ZS through Amazon using up all my amazon dollars.

Once the Ultra ships I'll be ordering:

COOLER MASTER Praetorian Black ALUMINUM MID-TOWER CASE, Model "PAC-T01-EK"

ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE

Intel Pentium 4 3.4C

Kingston HyperX (Dual Pack) 1GB

2 Seagate 160GB 7200RPM SATA

Creative GigaWorks 5.1 S700 Speaker

From either newegg or zipzoomfly. Whoever has the better price with fed ex shipping. The Ultra card comes with farcry and I'll be picking up Doom (obviously).

I thought about getting a 7.1 speaker package, but doom only supports 5.1 and I won't be watching movies on this. Already have a lite-on 52x cd burner for my optical drive and a 19" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro monitor.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+

Motherboard: ASUS K8N-E Deluxe

RAM: 1GB PC3200 Mushkin

HDD: Hitachi 160gb SATA

Graphics: XFX GeForce 6800 GT

Monitor: Samsung 997DF

Optical: NEC 2500a DVDRW

Keyboard: Lite-on cheapo from Newegg

Mouse: Logitech MX510

Case: Antec Sonata

Everything is ordered. I should be getting 5 shipments on the 3rd containing everything. Although I haven't gotten a tracking number for my processor, HD's and memory yet. So those may come in on the 4th.

Graphics: Still looking for a 6800gt. Can't find them in stock anywhere!!

Check out evga.com. They are accepting preorders for their next shipment to ship the 10th. I ordered an Ultra on monday in a preorder group that was to ship the 2nd. They ship them as soon as they get them and mine shipped on wednesday. They don't jack up the price like a lot of the online places are doing for these cards either.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?...=256-A8-N344-AX

Check out evga.com.

Thanks...yesterday they weren't accepting pre-orders, the page said that the product was backordered. Too bad they charge me sales tax here in California.

How does the eVga card compare to the BFG and PNY cards?

From what I've read basically all the cards are currently the same. BFG overclocks their cards and guarantees it to work. The others don't but everyone seems to have no problem overclocking them anyways. Thats pretty much it.

Aside from the guaranteed overclock on BFG cards, you also get a lifetime warranty.

Aside from the guaranteed overclock on BFG cards, you also get a lifetime warranty.

I saw this card nib last week at fry's for $399. I'm a little upset I didn't pick it up...

Okay, for anyone who might read my system spec and attempt to foolishly combine a Gigabyte GA-8I915G Pro 915G motherboard with a ThermalTake Tower112 Heatsink, you will need access to:

1) A drill

2) A grinding stone

3) A workbench

4) A simian trained in using the above*

Why, you ask? Because the steel mounting plate used to press the heatsink down onto the processor intersects two capacitors, so you'll need to grind a few large holes in it. :bang:

Other than being the most difficult HS I've ever installed, it has dropped my 100% load temperatures down around 12C from the stock heatsink (and in a rather cramped case at that). So now it's time to see how far this thing will overclock. :twisted:

*Optional

Well my specs have been updated, today I replaced the 9800 Pro with a eVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra.

I got my new pc put together last night. Those stock P4 heatsinks are a pain in the ass. You need to apply quite a bit of pressure to get them locked in place.

But its together. I don't have anything installed except XP at the moment, I picked up doom today at lunch and will be giving it a try tonight.

I just upgraded (DOOM III forced this of course) and here's what I am now running:

ASUS P4P800 SE Mobo

P4/2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB

1GB DDR RAM 400 Mhz (2x512) Dual-Channel

I bought the above for $343 from NewEgg.com. I sold off my old setup - P4 1.7 CPU/Mobo/RAM combo on eBay for $240.00! So all in all I paid just over $100 and got a pretty great system.

I'm still running my old ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (This will be upgraded soon)

Cant beat paying $100 for what you got. Enjoy!

Thanks man!

I can't believe how much $ some of my stuff fetches on eBay, what a great site/service.

Recently upgraded to an MSI 9800pro (R360, 9800XT core). Clocked just a bit beneath real XT speeds.

Otherwise

Athlon 1800+

Soltek KT400 board

Antec 300W PS

256MB Corsair Cas2 PC2700 RAM

256MB Staples-dirt-cheap-AR PC2700 RAM (PNY brand, Samsung chips) running @ cas2

Pioneer A06 DVD burner

Lite-on DVD/CD-RW combo drive

and

hehehee

Dual 5.25/3.5 in floppy drive.

:D

The white dual floppy clashes with my aluminum Skyhawk case, but, oh well. :D

I've got a Gigabyte Nforce2 150 A64 board I got for $30/refurbed in the closet. Waiting until I have money for a 2800+, new p/s, and new RAM to upgrade.

Getting back into the PC gaming realm (been out of it for a while).

Originally posted by MrJames@Oct 15 2004, 12:24 PM

Upgraded my speakers from some weak Creative Inspire 5100's to the new Logitech Z-5500's. Huge difference. :)

So you're liking those speakers? I'm hoping to upgrade soon and those speakers look like a perfect fit for me.

Processor: Athlon XP 2500+ with a CoolerMaster Aero7+ hsf

Motherboard: MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon 9700 Pro

Hard Drive: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120 GB

Optical Drives: LiteOn 48x/24x/48x/16x CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive and Pioneer DVR-108 Dual layer DVD+/-RW

Speakers: Some crappy Creative Inspire 4.1 channel speakers, which I never use for gaming. Instead I use new Zalman 5.1 channel surround headphones.

2 sticks of 256 MB DDR400 RAM set up in dual channel.

Hoping to upgrade to an Athlon 64 system and a 6800 GT in the far future :D