LCVG
kelley

Post Your Gaming PC

Very curious to see reports that the 9700k, allegedly 8 core and 8 threads, will drop hyperthreading. There’s also claim that the 9700 and 9900 will be soldered. 

I've ordered a couple of items for my still relatively fresh, though several years old, build.  I've been using a AMD FX-8320(3.5GHz at technically 8 cores though only 4 in practical use) for several years.  It was not particularly stable overclocked though.  So I found the FX 8350(4 GHz but mostly the same chip) for $90.  I figure that I can sell my old CPU for 30-40 bucks bringing the upgrade price down as well.  I also ordered a Corsair H100i v2 liquid cooling unit to use on the new processor.  If everything goes well, the new chip could conceivably overclock to 4.7-5GHz. 

This will all be paired up with my 16 GB of RAM, my 1070, and my 1440p Gsync monitor.  This is also the end of the line for upgrades on this PC.  I presume that when I do a new full build in a year or two I will pull the liquid cooler out, put the CPU back to stock with the EVO 212 air cooler that I have on right now.  Liquid cooler would move over to the new PC.  

• Like 1

Thanks all for the suggestions.  Will check them out once I get the stuff I need running installed.  Will take pics of the rig once I get done cleaning up.  I'm currently using the dining room table as my desk lol.

• Like 1

So now that I have a decent job, I've decided to do research on current computer parts.  I'm not looking to upgrade any time soon per se, but I never got around to water cooling my rig.  I've seen so many videos at this point it just looks fun as hell to do.

• Like 1

New CPU and water cooler installed tonight. It was relatively painless although I had the whole radiator in before realizing I had to have the fans put on it first. And there was almost no room left, maybe .25-.5 inches, between the rig and my RAM. 

Seems to be very stable and the Corsair link software is pretty cool. I did not have any time to play anything or do any overclocking. Probably give it a week or two break-in beforehand. But I’ll put it through some games this weekend. 

• Like 2

Everything I’ve read points to yes. With the CPU running idle I think it was running cooler than 20 C.  I obviously have a lot of testing to do, but I think about it like this: how efficient do you think a car would be if it only relied air to cool the engine?  Not only that, the radiator takes the hot air and moves it to the highest point in my case where the radiator fans immediately exhaust the heat out of the case. Even the GPU was running cooler, by a few degrees, with the brief run of the above mentioned benchmark. 

As I understand it, the difference between having a long, forced flow of water away from the heat source isn't particularly more efficient than having your (liquid-filled or otherwise) radiator right next to it. What does make a huge difference is that the H100i has a big radiator with two parallel 12cm fans pushing cold air across it is double the airflow for a given fan speed of what those of us with even really good regular HSF configurations are managing.

Or to put it in simpler terms, don't buy the entry-level H45, Daniel - it won't be any better than your Noctua.

• Like 2

Depending on the solution, liquid cooling can also be much quieter than standard air cooling fans which is nice. In my experience liquid cooling has certainly allowed for more aggressive overclocking while still keeping the system stable but, that was 2+ years ago now. Over the last few years games themselves have been getting more and more unstable on overclocked systems (not always the OS like it used to be with OC’ing) so any performance gains might be app/game dependent.

17 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Is there genuinely a performance benefit with water cooling vs a good (eg Noctua) fan solution? 

It depends on what performance you're looking for.  When most people talk about enthusiast water cooling, it's generally total system water cooling.  This is CPU and GPU in most cases (although there is now water cooling solutions for certain components on the mother board as well).  With total system water cooling, you can push your system much harder, and because you've removed the loudest fans from your system (generally your GPU fans), your system runs much quieter.  This is where you get the benefits from water cooling, aside from some crazy RGB fans who love showing off their water rig.

But in terms of cost benefit with regards to money, water cooling is awful as compared to air cooling.  You can be perfectly happy with Noctua (who is coming out with black components last I heard).  But I would advise not watching the myriad of water cooling videos on YouTube.  It's a rabbit hole for sure. 

• Like 1

That all makes sense. Thanks fellas.

I've seen some insane RGB filled glass panel cases with all sorts of glass/plastic tubing pumping multi coloured liquid around the system. I'm quite fascinated by those outlandish builds. If I had money to burn I'd have a giggle putting that kind of thing together and having it light up the room like a late night rave. 

Well timed as I ponder which CPU road to go down in the coming months, Richard at Digital Foundry has written his views on the current crop of Intel rumours.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-ninth-gen-intel-core-and-the-case-for-cpu-power

Once we have a formal announcement and nerds like Richard can compare them to the 8xx chips when they're on sale I'll make a decision.

I've got everything up and running at 4.72 GHz.  It ran through Prime 95 tests without issue for several hours.  And the highest I've seen the temps get is 52 C.  I haven't played many games yet, but Rocket League had no issues.  Assuming I can get at least $30 out of my old 8320, then that's not bad for another $120 invested.  I've basically added 1.2 GHz to the system.  I'm half way tempted to upgrade the video card since there are deals going on for the 1080ti.  Newegg and Microcenter are selling them for $700.  But even with the upgrade, I think that's too much card for this system.  

• Like 1

The 1080ti is a great card and will provide a lot of power but, depending on what you’re playing this time next year it may only be keeping up. Between VR, 4K, etc that 1080ti isn’t too much card anymore :)

• Like 1

Might want to wait until Gamescom at the end of the month for new Nvidia cards. The 1170 is supposed to get close to the performance of the 1080ti. Then again there is supposedly a surplus of 10xx series cards out there which N are looking to offload so there may be more discounts and offers in the coming months.

• Like 2

I think I’m going to strip my pc of parts and sell it all off as I require the funds for more pressing things than gaming at the moment, but I’ve also recently decided that I will move to an iMac in the near future, either around Christmas or early next year whenever an updated model with last years (or october’s?) intel cpus make it into the market. Even if new models retain the AMD 580 Pro GPU from the 2017 units that would still put performance on a similar level to my GTX1060, and the CPU would be a major leap ahead of what I have now so my plan in future would be to game on Windows under Bootcamp on the Mac.

With all that in mind, since I will be several months without Steam, what are my options regarding backing up saved game data?

If games are backed up using Steam Cloud, you shouldn't have to do anything.  Not sure if steam cloud data ever expires, but I load steam stuff on a bunch of different machines, and the cloud saves just work.

• Like 1

I’ll have to check on cloud status. Thanks. It’s really only Elite and Planet Coaster saves that need protecting really. There might be one or two others, but those are the important ones. 

eBay are having a run of £1 and £3 maximum selling fee offers lately, with £3 being the most recent this weekend until midnight tonight, so I've begun stripping down the PC. Starting with the 1060. Sad to part with that as it really is a terrific card. Ah well. Needs must. I need the PC running on the intel chip for a little while longer so won't sell all the other components until the next eBay offer rolls around. Will do some hard backups of planet coaster just to be safe.