LCVG
Tranquility

Quake 4/Quake Wars

Raven is claiming they are going to take everything from Quake III, the speed, the weapons, the jump pads, the number of players, etc. and put it into Quake 4's DM

Here's something to look at (and I'm uploading as I type this). It's the trailer for Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. Once you watch the trailer, you will need to pick up your jaw from off of the floor. The visuals are absolutely insane. I would love to see it appear on next gen consoles as well. Xbox Live especially. :rock

Take a look at the trailer:

Quake Wars Trailer

I might actually grow to like that "Doom 3 engine look" when used in brightly lit outdoor environments. The proliferation of the Doom 3 engine had me worried that all games would look like Doom 3 (considering Quake 4 & Prey look as if they could be expansion packs for Doom).

Now that I've seen the amazing looking Quake Wars I'm quite happy those plastic looking characters and environments fare much better in a sunlit outdoor environment. Here's hoping other users of the Doom engine will bring their own style to the game.

I might actually grow to like that "Doom 3 engine look" when used in brightly lit outdoor environments. The proliferation of the Doom 3 engine had me worried that all games would look like Doom 3 (considering Quake 4 & Prey look as if they could be expansion packs for Doom).

Now that I've seen the amazing looking Quake Wars I'm quite happy those plastic looking characters and environments fare much better in a sunlit outdoor environment. Here's hoping other users of the Doom engine will bring their own style to the game.

There was a Wild West game in developement that used the DOOM3 engine and it was looking really good but it got scrapped.

Finished Resurrection of Evil, started F.E.A.R... then got Quake 4, and WOW, I love it. Yea, yea, not as "interactive" as HL2 and FEAR, but man, it's FUN. Reminds me of Call of Duty in a Sci-Fi setting. Run circles around FEAR in terms of what my PC can do. But that doesn't surprise me as D3 ran great as well. Movie worthy soundtrack, which was a shocker, and the intro, got a 'whoa' out of me! Highly recommend Q4 on PC, although I suppose if everyone gets it on X360, I'll do that too for some multi :)

Amd64/3400 - 1.5 gig - X800 Pro - Running at 1280x1024, everything on, 4x AA.

I bought Q4 DVD edition with $21 in Best Buy Bucks, about $4 of that donated from people (ugh I hate McD's, but I'm always on the run, so I have to eat something...might as well earn $ for games while I eat crap).

$41 total, it's mine. Hope I enjoy it.

OK I played a few minutes of the single player this morning, sacrificing sleep to try it out.

My 9800pro chokes on it slightly worse than Doom 3. No 1280x960 resolution available :( That's my standard resolution - 1280x1024 is an improper aspect ratio for us 4:3 CRT people if you weren't aware. I call it squishy people vision like when they run DVDs stretched/squinched.

Anyway I settled on 1152x864 @ low quality, Vsync enabled, no AA or 2x AA. Runs tolerable - I need to do a benchmark. I can't stand games tearing with no Vsync...

Game seems like Quake 2 so far but a little more modern. The blaster felt a lot like the Q2 blaster but with a much speedier shot that makes it not seem like a "pea shooter" like people called the Q2 blaster. The machinegun has a zoom function and seems better than the Q2 gun. I got a few surprises Doom3-style already, with guys popping out to scare you. No cheap darkness though :tu

With squad mates sometimes around to help, the medic was actually pretty good with his weapon, it felt a little more Halo-like, a little more modern FPS than the solo tunnel crawl that was Q2 (the 50% or so I played of the single player game that is).

I will try the multiplayer maybe when I get home in a few hours. That's the make-or-break for me.

Finished Q4 today, loved it. I really enjoyed the fact that you didn't go alone the whole time, your squad mates were really helpful as well. Some of the ending rooms were DAMN hard, but it was worth it, and the end boss wasn't that tough at all. Overall, great game, beautiful graphics, excellent audio... a winner.

T.

Civilization 4 has absorbed my life. No time to play shooters for now. Civilization 4 + college + work = all hours gone. Things will only get worse with the release of Dragon Quest 8. Ugh