LCVG
Orpheus

Nintendo Revolution - Information, specs, and more rumors

Imagine the kid who gets up Xmas morning and opens up to find a puke green colored Revolution. At the very least' date=' they better release the same colored controllers over here. Wouldn't want more outrage like the whole spice controller but not spice cube thing happening again.

The silver and the black ones do it for me. Black because it's sexy, silver because it would match every other component (except my PS2) in the rack.[/quote']

I think they said the colored Revolutions in that picture were merely ideas for now, and that final colors had not been chosen. There was even some comment to the press in the audience like "Maybe your readers can help us choose."

What about indigo? I'm not buying one unless it's in indigo.

It would go well with your belly dancer outfit. :)

-Dean-

And his matching pair of Indigo running shoes

I thought I specifically stated that I would not wear that outfit myself. Purple running shoes? Maybe. But the belly dancer outfit just isn't me. I'm more of a pleather guy.

I thought I specifically stated that I would not wear that outfit myself. Purple running shoes? Maybe. But the belly dancer outfit just isn't me. I'm more of a pleather guy.

You finally found out what pleather is? :lmfao

-Dean-

I was waiting for a statement like that ever since ppl started talking about free downloads. Reselling old games is what Nintendo does best, so I had a hard time believing that they would give it all away.

IGN has a story here concerning Nintendo's first demonstration of Revolution to the Japanese press. As for the subject of game downloads, the article says this:

There's some disappointing news for those expecting these classics to be available for free. Nintendo is planning on pay downloads as being the standard for this download system. There will be many types of services, though, including limited time free downloads. One possibility mentioned by Iwata is free downloads as bonuses for buying new games.

So, that's that. Not surprising, but a little disappointing if you were hoping to get your hands on those old games for nothing. One thing the article also mentions is why Nintendo decided to use flash memory instead of a HDD. Apparently, it comes down to cost and reliability. Nintendo wants to keep the system affordable, and not run the risk of a small child damaging the hard drive. Should the internal flash cards fill up, you can transfer any classic games (or game saves I imagine) to a memory card, and manage the files on a computer. Although Nintendo does stress that there will be copy protection measures in place, I can?t imagine that this would lead to anything other than rampant piracy of old games. I?m surprised they?re even considering this at all.

Additionally, here's some more teasing on the controller:

The controller in particular seems to be getting quite a bit of attention, with Nintendo software master Shigeru Miyamoto commenting at the press conference that the company is making a big investment in creating the device. Iwata added, "I think you will be surprised by the Revolution's controller."

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if my first reaction to the controller is something along the lines of, "What the hell is that thing?" That's how I felt when I first saw the GameCube and N64 controllers. It almost wouldn't feel like a Nintendo product if it didn't have some sort of unusual interface. :)

If you give everything out for free you have no incentives to work with, so I was very srurpised when the free download rumour was circulating. However, I think prices will be very reasonable. We won't see prices like the classic NES series on the GBA. I believe most of that price was to cover production and distribution. This will not be an issue with Revolution, so I expect $10 (or $9.99) NES and SNES games, maybe $20 ($19.99) for N64 games. That may seem high, but if you make them too cheep ($5), freebies won't be an incentive either.

I expect $10 (or $9.99) NES and SNES games, maybe $20 ($19.99) for N64 games. That may seem high, but if you make them too cheep ($5), freebies won't be an incentive either.

If that is the pricing (and I know it's just a guess) there's NO way I'll be buying any of the games. Give me 5 or so games at that price and MAYBE I'll bite.

If that is the pricing (and I know it's just a guess) there's NO way I'll be buying any of the games. Give me 5 or so games at that price and MAYBE I'll bite.

Based on how ridiculously well those remakes for the GBA have been selling, I'd say it's a good guess :(

These damn corporations are so greedy it can make you sick. All of them, Nintendo included.

Seriously, how much money are they making on their NES titles right now? None. SNES? None. N64? Maybe a few yen. GC? Lots. The current gen is really all that matters, protecting your outdated and non-profit generating games is arguably counter-productive to selling your current games (ie - if you allow Super Mario Bros free play, it is like free advertising and goodwill for kids to buy Super Mario Bros Revolution.)

I can see charging $5 a month to access the library of games, that covers their costs for emulating (or converting?) the titles for the Revolution and putting up the host servers. That;s $60 a year, more than even an XBL subscription. But charging $5+ per outdated and out of production title? Just seems damn silly to me.

Plus, the more you include for free or cheap, the more Revolutions you can sell initially. The more Revolutions you sell, the more new game devs are attracted and the more money you make. Hence, the more Revolutions you sell...

When I heard about Nintendo doing this catalog thing, I seriously thought they could slip into this next gen with a real Tojan Horse and upset MS and Sony's apple carts with a down to earth and elegant market strategy. Sell a box at -$100 to the competitors (but you still make $ on the hardware ala the GC) and have a massive classic library built in for free. It looks now like this isn't going to happen, they are looking to nickel and dime themselves out of a victory before they even start the race.

Disappointing to say the least.

C'mon now, you didn't really expect Nintendo to sell all their previous original IP games as part of this Revolution backwards-compatibility when they've been re-releasing all these original IP games with every new platform.

Frankly I don't see the problem if they're priced at a reasonable 5-10$, but something extravagant would probably be a retarded move. Or they could couple these games with other Revolution games that you buy for instance, or in secret levels in games or something.

Seriously, how much money are they making on their NES titles right now? None. SNES? None.

See, that's where you're wrong. They're actually making a tidy little profit on a lot of their old IP by reselling it on the GBA. The Revolution plans are an extension of this.

I thoroughly expect Ninty to offer games for free with the purchase of the latest & greatest version of that IP. Again, an extension of what they do with the GBA - buy the latest Mario game, get a classic built in! etc.

I thoroughly expect Ninty to offer games for free with the registration of x titles, an extension of what they're doing with their Stars program.

I never expected them to offer all of these games for free to everyone at every time. That's just not what Ninty are about.

I thoroughly expect Ninty to offer games for free with the purchase of the latest & greatest version of that IP. Again, an extension of what they do with the GBA - buy the latest Mario game, get a classic built in! etc.

I thoroughly expect Ninty to offer games for free with the registration of x titles, an extension of what they're doing with their Stars program

Yeah, and I definitely find those extensions appealing. Especially if Ninty offered the games in packs ala the Zelda bonus discs they released for Wind Waker's preorder campaign.

As an example, you can head to the store and pick up the latest Metroid game for the Revolution. You get home, you jump online and register the game which gives you free access to download the original Metroid and it's sequel Super Metroid. You download said games via the service and have them on the Revolution's storage device to play when you like. Or I could pick up Mario Revolution which gives me access to download the Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island. Perhaps the games individually would cost 4.99 a piece but when you purchase the new game, you would be able to buy all three for 4.99 through the use of the service. Or perhaps you could purchase any three combination of old school Mario games. That type of bundling is just fine by me. If I want to purchase anything else solo, I'll do so. I prefer to have them free (who wouldn't), but if they are reasonably priced I would definitely be interested.

On the subject of playing these old games, I'd be curious as to how difficult it would be to make "modular" controller inputs. By that I mean having the ability to swap out say an N64 controller board and use my N64 joysticks to play those classic N64 games. When I feel like playing my SNES games, I can swap out and use that board. Emulation in general is great, but one of the best things about playing these old games (and why I keep my old systems hooked up) is using the proper controller to play them. Just figured I'd throw that out there...

I'd be curious as to how difficult it would be to make "modular" controller inputs. By that I mean having the ability to swap out say an N64 controller board and use my N64 joysticks to play those classic N64 games.

If Nintendo made an adapter with inputs for NES, SNES and N64 pads for you to plug into one of the ports under the hidden Gamecube joypad/memory card flap on the Revolution, that'd be great. If Nintendo don't do it, I wouldn't put it past a third party.

And stop saying 'Ninty,' all of you. :)

Daniel

And stop saying 'Ninty,' all of you.

Ninty, Ninty, Ninty, Ninty, Ninty, Ninty, Ninty. :P

If Nintendo made an adapter with inputs for NES, SNES and N64 pads for you to plug into one of the ports under the hidden Gamecube joypad/memory card flap on the Revolution

Yeah, but I'm thinking along the lines of something more modular/faceplate like. Take the x360 head on in the customization department. It would be really neat to have an adapter/faceplate that mimics the color and style of the front of the Nintendo for instance and allows you to plug in two old school NES joypad. The plug-ins are built in and the plate just snaps into place. It's all aesthetics of course. The functionality is what will really sell it, but I personally would love to see it done.

Ninty, Ninty, Ninty, Ninty, Ninty, Ninty, Ninty.

I will.............destroy you.

Yeah, but I'm thinking along the lines of something more modular/faceplate like. Take the x360 head on in the customization department. It would be really neat to have an adapter/faceplate that mimics the color and style of the front of the Nintendo for instance and allows you to plug in two old school NES joypad. The plug-ins are built in and the plate just snaps into place. It's all aesthetics of course. The functionality is what will really sell it, but I personally would love to see it done.

You’re really weird, you know that? :) Cute idea, but the wireless front panel of the console would perhaps make old school face plates tricky... which of course raises another possibility. Nintendo could make "old school" (but wirless) NES, SNES and N64 pads available for purchase.

Daniel

Nintendo could make "old school" (but wirless) NES, SNES and N64 pads available for purchase.

If the download service actually happens, I'm sure some enterprising third party peripheral maker will come out with 'retro pads' like they did for the GC/PS2.

Nintendo could make "old school" (but wirless) NES, SNES and N64 pads available for purchase.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to that either. Also, my ideas are not cute Daniel. In fact, I think someone has something to say to you...

morbo.jpg

:leaving