LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Camp

Real names

I like both novels very much, but there are certain aspects that give Snow Crash the edge, IMHO.

Stephenson writes with more humor and more action. He isn't above a gag (there's even a pun apparently disguised as a typo early in the book) and clearly loves an action scene.

Also, the characters in Snow Crash seem to have more depth and the world he creates seems to have more soul. Hiro and Y.T. (both characters in Snow Crash) seem like people with lives and motivation; too often Gibson's characters seem like they're gritty and driven -- and that's it.

Keep in mind that I'm not slamming Gibson (heck, I just finished re-reading my autographed copy of All Tomorrow's Parties).

It's just that, for me, Snow Crash is a much wilder -- and more fun -- ride.

-j

Snow Crash is phenomenal. I didn't read Neuromancer, though I plan to do so eventually. Right now my time is pulled between my own writing endeavours and trying to finish the books I'm reading. I've got Shadow of the Hegemon, American Gods, and Prophecy all partially finished.

They'll all be tossed aside the second the next Discworld novel hits paperback :P.

If you liked Neuromancer, from what I know of it you'll like Snow Crash as well. It's in my Top 5 all-time favorite books, for what little that's worth ;).

Hiro and Y.T.

And Raven. Let us not forget Raven. He is equipped with THE coolest weapons I've seen.

The action in Snow Crash is often very, very well-done, I agree. The big ending is awesome in the way it's described.

Not to further hi-jack this thread, but how are Stephenson's other books anyway? I haven't read any except Snow Crash, but am certainly interested. Just haven't made the effort.

Well, Cryptonomicon is a forerunner for the title of "my favorite book of all time", for a start. Absolutely wonderful from start to finish, its got a lot of the things that made Snow Crash so wonderful (the intense quality of research, the wonderful descriptive phrasing, the intertwining of threads and the ability to tell the different character's points of view in their own styles), moved into a more "real world" setting. The World War 2 stuff in particular is glorious.

Re: Quicksilver, from what little I've seen so far its a sort of prequel to Cryptonomicon, set in the 18th Century. I'm intruiged, to say the least.

And yes, Stephenson isn't really suited to the big screen, as much as I'd just love to see Hiro stalking Raven through the bamboo, for example. Can you imagine trying to do Crypto's Cap'n Crunch scene? Bleurgh.