LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

dogbert    239

So I've got a little secret. Lately I've been spending more time (and money) on boargames/cardgames instead of videogames. It started with a simple game of Phase 10 with a couple of friends, and it's grown into almost full scale obsession. I really don't get too much of a chance to play unfortunately, which is something I'd like to change. If anyone in the Dallas area wants to get together to play games like Settlers etc, let me know!

I've always enjoyed the old standards like Scrabble, Monopoly etc. Risk & Scrabble were big favourites in our house growing up. However, it's the new Euro style games that have hooked me now - things like Settlers of Catan, San Juan & Bohnanza. Scene It! gets a lot of play when friends are over.

Here's my current 'list of games'.

My wife's favourite game right now is a little card game called Pimp The Backhanding :) Anyone else a fan of these more 'modern' games? My addiction is really taking hold - I cruise the forums of BoardGameGeek looking for tips & bargains, I'm starting to get interested in BSW, a huge German online game collection. I need help!

Tom    10

Mark should be checking in here any minute now. He's the biggest board game geek I know.

How are Pimp: The Backhanding and Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot? I've picked them up in the store a few times, but put them down.

I own Doom the boardgame, and I highly recommend it - captures the feel of the videogame well. Everything else I would recommend is in Mark's collection, so he can pimp that. ;)

HoolieMan    10

I have recently been playing Settlers of Catan often. My wife loves it and we usually have friends over and play for hours. I think my favorite part is that it uses different strategies than the games I grew up with (risk, monopoly, etc...)

Has anybody tried the expansions/add ons for settlers? I have the regular 5-6 player expansion but was wondering about the seafarers and the knights expansions.

dogbert    239

Pimp's fun, it's all theme though - the gameplay mechanics are okay, the person who taught us got a few order things wrong so we've been playing it more haphazardly than it should be. The cards are very, very funny.

Killer Bunnies I have yet to actually play with other people - it's been whipped out a couple of times, but the group's not been in the mood to learn it. I think it's more complicated than it should be, looking at the rules, and the card distribution can be punishing - there's some 'house rules' on the 'Geek that should make it easier/faster/fairer. Want to try it out, just a matter of waiting for the right time. It has potential once I get my wife over the learning curve.

That learning curve is the biggest problem I face - my wife's doesn't like playing one on one (ooer) as she knows I've got the edge. So getting her into a game & learning it is hard. She's really liking Bohnanza though.

Covak    10
I have recently been playing Settlers of Catan often. My wife loves it and we usually have friends over and play for hours. I think my favorite part is that it uses different strategies than the games I grew up with (risk' date=' monopoly, etc...)

Has anybody tried the expansions/add ons for settlers? I have the regular 5-6 player expansion but was wondering about the seafarers and the knights expansions.[/quote']

I enjoy the Knights expansion. It makes for a longer game, and it can definitely make for a more annoying game if you're on the wrong end of too many nasty cards (there's much more nasty card play in Knights), but overall I find it much more interesting. Many more layers of strategy. It's a little more competitive, and not so much simle fun like the basic game.

It's kinda like turning Mario Kart into a more hardcore realistic racer with harder-to-use but much more deadly weaponry that takes more thinking and strategy :)

iainl    118

If simple to learn is your thing, then I have yet another excuse to pimp Fluxx. It's a bit random at times, but when games can be over in like two minutes sometimes that's ok. Also, it means that there's always the hope of lucking out of your desperate situation, so that horrible Risk/Monopoly feeling of ineviatability never sets in.

Mark E    150
Mark should be checking in here any minute now. He's the biggest board game geek I know.

Who me? :D

Yes, I adore me some videogames, but my boardgame collection is my one true love. Nothing beats a good boardgame, which is probably why my collection is currently taking up a giant shelving unit and consists of... oh... 97 games.

You can see the damage here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewcollection.php3?username=mevans

Those of you who like Trivial Pursuit could do worse than to check out Smarty Party. It's a really nice little trivia game that's a lot faster to play and a helluva good time. We had four people try it out last weekend and we actually played it three times in a row, which never, ever happens in my regular group.

dogbert    239

Cool collection, Mark. You've got a bunch of games I'd love to play. My big problem is finding people to play with.

Mark E    150

Thanks Brian, it's taken a while to amass all that, but it's been a lot of fun.

Shame you don't live on the opposite end of the continent. I have a regular group of friends that meets every other week at the very least (and before my work schedule shifted we were every weekend regular) to play games, it's a ton of fun.

dogbert    239

Yeah, I'm looking around for groups to join in the DFW area on the 'Geek. Need to play more games!

Atomic Dog    10

I've been playing this lately with my fiance. Pretty fun game, though it would be better with more than two people.

cg_box_sm.jpg

That pimp game looks like fun too, might have to check that one out.

dogbert    239
Yeah, I'm looking around for groups to join in the DFW area on the 'Geek. Need to play more games!

Well, I went to a 'game night' at a coffeeshop in Arlington last night. A bit of a drive, but it was worth it. Good group of people - they had enough for three games going at once - everyone I played with was friendly, geekish but not too geekish, and open to noobs. They even dragged in a random stranger just there for coffee into a game of Ticket To Ride.

So I got to play some new (to me) games, drank good coffee, and had fun. Success!

Finally got to play San Juan against real people & got thrashed. Got to play Ticket To Ride for the first time & really enjoyed it. Got to play a tile laying game called Tsuro which was fast, simple to learn & fun. I may end up buying it. And I also played some card/word game called Palambra though I may have the name wrong - lost at it horribly, but stopped someone else from getting a 270 point word which would have easily won him the game.

Atomic Dog, saw Chez Geek & Munchkin get played last night. Chez Geek looked like it could be fun with the right people. Munchkin looked fun but fiddly (like Killer Rabbits...).

Mark E    150

I hate Chez Geek with the passion of a thousand firey suns, but more power to those of you who enjoy it. Ticket to Ride is an excellent game, I've played it both online and off quite a bit :tu

Atomic Dog    10

Dogbert,

curse you for ever posting those links to boardgamegeek. I picked up a few games after some reading on there last week.

One of the games I ordered was Lord of the Rings. My wife wasn't sure she wanted to play it, she thought it seemed a bit too geeky for her. She gave it a shot, though, and loves it. We've played several games already, although we've gotten our butts handed to us almost every time. I like the co-op play aspect of it a lot.

Mark E    150

LotR is a great game, lots of fun. I've heard the Friends & Foes expansion makes it even better, but I haven't been able to play that one yet.

Another great co-op game is Shadows Over Camelot, from Days of Wonder. That one is a little more interesting because it adds the possibility of a traitor to the mix, so you have to watch yourself and others a bit more closely ;).

General Zot    14

If you have a full house, Acquire is a tip top choice that anyone (hardcore or casual) can grasp. Settlers of Catan is our usual romp when we get together with friends, we all know it well so the matches can be heated.

dogbert    239

Managed to find someone new to play with and he happens to have a huge collection :) Spent a few hours on Saturday playing "Arkham Horror", a cooperative board game set in the good ol' Lovecraft universe. It's a tough, tough game. Everything is stacked against the players and depending on the big baddie you get, it could be almost impossible to win. We lost. Horribly. But had a lot of fun doing so, so much so I went & bought it the next day, even paying RRP for the privilege.

Robot Monkey    127

I haven't played Monopoly in ages, but these alternate rules look like they might be fun:

http://wiki.playagaingames.com/tiki-index.php?page=MonopolyHomeRules

Here are two samples:

Traveling Railroads (recommended)

Rule: Whenever a player lands on a railroad, the player may choose to move his or her token to any other railroad owned by the same player.

Clarifications: The player must pay rent even if he or she does not travel. A player may travel on his or her own railroads, for free of course. A player may not travel on unowned railroads. Travel is across the board, so a player does not get $200 for passing Go when he or she travels from Short Line to Reading Railroad. The owner of the railroads may not prevent the player from traveling. A player may travel to or from a mortgaged railroad.

Variations: The owner may disallow a player from traveling on his or her railroads if the owner refuses to take the rent from the player landing on it. The owner must decide to disallow travel before the player is required to specify his or her destination, if any. The owner must allow travel from a mortgaged railroad.

Reason: Gives players control over their tokens, and makes the ownership of the railroads important. For example, The player developing the green properties should attempt to split up the railroads so that players landing on them do not always travel to Short Line and thus skip the green group. On the other hand, the player developing the dark blue group should encourage a railroad monopoly, since so many players move to Short Line to get closer to go and are more likely to land on the dark blue group.

Dice Control

Rule: A player may choose to roll only one die on his or her turn rather than two. If the player rolls a one, he or she must go directly to jail for making an "impossible" movement.

Variations: A player may announce before making a roll of two dice that he or she is going to move the product of the dice rather than the sum. If the player then rolls higher than twenty, the player is sent to jail for "speeding", and as above if the player rolls a one, he or she must go directly to jail for making an "impossible" movement.

Reason: Gives players some control over movement. This rule is probably only a good idea if Maximum Punishment is in effect, otherwise players may use this rule to get into jail quickly.

ChrisBardon    46

Interesting thread-I know I can vouch for the Cities & Knights expansion to Settlers, but that's about it. I never played the "standard" game, but played a whole lot of the expanded one back in University. Also used to play a lot of Trivial pursuit over beers, since there used to be a great pub by the University that had copies around. Problem with board games now is that I don't know anyone close by who's interested in playing. Other than the semi-regular games of Scrabble with my wife, I haven't really played a board game in a long time.

That being said, we were talking about how something like Scrabble or Trivial Pursuit would be great over Xbox Live. Think it'll happen?

rustyjaw    119
That being said, we were talking about how something like Scrabble or Trivial Pursuit would be great over Xbox Live. Think it'll happen?

There is a Trivial Pursuit game for Live, I haven't played it though. I would love Scrabble for Live, it's an old favorite of mine.

Mark E    150

Arkham Horror is a really good co-op game, but nobody in my regular group wants to play it because it's so long. Argh :P.

We won by a whisker last time, though it was a hard go because the Old One we were fighting was the one who blankets the city streets in a perpetual blizzard, making it bloody hard to get around.

Robot Monkey    127
There is a Trivial Pursuit game for Live, I haven't played it though. I would love Scrabble for Live, it's an old favorite of mine.

If you are talking about Trivial Pursuit: Unhinged, I wouldn't recommend it. Tjere aren't many questions (I was getting repeat questions in the first couple of games) and the camera is so close to the board in the classic game that it is strangely claustrophobic.

And does FreakTornado know you're using his sig and avatar?