LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

dogbert    239

Got some great gaming in over the long holiday weekend, mainly because my family was out of town & I wasn't ;) 

Star Wars Rebellion. My second game, against a more experience opponent. I did alright, pushing him in the right places, turning Leia to the Dark Side early, and he was clearly trying to draw attention to one planet, which clearly meant it was a ruse. I was right ;) But I found out after I placed my super star destroyer near it, and after moving my death star towards the general area. In the end, the base was Dantooine, a non-populous planet on the fringe. The clock was running out, I couldn't move my forces over there in time, and on my last action before he won, after clearing the meager space forces, I activated a mission that let me move limited ground troops to any rebel planet. It was just enough to break through the defences, leaving him in a situation where he could only roll black dice against a mixed red/black attack, and I won. Ridiculously close game, telling a ridiculously fun story. My opponent was great to play against, we always have fun with this & War of the Ring. FFG nailed this one IMO

Anachrony. Played right after Rebellion lol. 4 player, 3 of us noobs (including me). Wow. The production values are top notch, with gorgeous minis that tokens slot into the top of (and are utterly pointless, getting in the way of the board), 100% readable iconography, and a manual that reads really well the few times we needed to reach for it. At its heart, it's the same engine building we've seen many times, but it pushes players towards limited spots for actions, causing dilemmas of choice - do I go for this action I'd like now because I won't get it later vs the one I needetc with actions getting utterly locked off later in the game,

All with a time travel mechanic that works far better than any other time travel game I've played. Take income now, with the hope of paying it back later, before taking a big VP hit at the end of the game, but make sure you build the ability to hop back in time enough to reach those payback spots. And don't forget the more early income you take, the higher risk you are for dangerous time anomalies with nasty punishments. 

I utterly dig & need to play again soon, it's really good. There's tons of worker placement games out there, but this is a stand out. 

Android Netrunner. Buddy is desperate to play the new campaign, so he grabbed me a core deck. We played a basic game, me as the runner, to get back into the mechanics & rules after a couple of years away. I lost horribly. Cracked open the campaign set, it's got an insane amount of air in the box, looks interesting, and a good way to engage us. 

La Granja. Me vs 2 experienced players. It's not quite just another soulless euro, stealing some ideas from Glory To Rome, and it pulls together some attempt at theme, but in the end, it's the same cube pushin' mechanics I've seen in countless other euros, done well for sure. Just not quite enough for me, though I'll end up playing it again no doubt. 

JoeyN    156

Orders will probably be cancelled but amazon has a glitch with huge discounts , these are just some. 

Forbidden Stars

Scythe Invaders from Afar

King Domino

Takenoko Expansions

JoeyN    156

Like I said Expecting Cancellation but i ordered these for $50

Forbidden Stars

Invaders from Afar

King Domino

Clank Expansion 

Time Stories Prophecy of Dragons

One of the Mansions of Madness Expansions

update *4 items are showing preparing for shipment,*

update 2 *Everything has shipped so far except FB*

JoeyN    156

Friday night we finally got a game night in, and played some stuff for the first time. Decided to do a bunch of quicker stuff. Save the longer stuff for this coming Satuday.

Ice Cool- This is a really fun game, but I stink at doing trick shots. If you have kids, this will be great to play with them.

King Domino- We played 4 rounds of this, and it may be my new favorite quick game. Very easy to learn, good one for teaching new players tile laying.

Not Alone- A very different 1 vs many game, as most of the games of this type I have played have been miniature games (and we have only really enjoyed TMNT in that genre). This is cards only, where each side is figuring out what locations the other side will play. Took a few games to really get the flow of things. The only issue I have is the Monster can destroy any chance of the stranded winning pretty quickly (as I almost did to Phil and Richie our first game).   Need to see if they changed anything post release for the monsters first few turns in terms of playing stuff. I know they announced an expansion recently, maybe that changes things. 

and it's not a new game but we tried out the mini expansions for Ninja Camp.  There are so many alternate rules and stuff we should have plenty of variety for a while.

dogbert    239
4 hours ago, JoeyN said:

GF9 announced a new Firefly game for later this year

http://www.fireflythegame.com/ 

Firefly: Adventures is a cooperative, mission based, skirmish-level 

BnB_Game_01.png

I suspect this isn't the game Firefly fans are looking for, but what do I know? ;)

Mark E    150

I'm surprised they can still flog something out of that property - surely to god they must have used every speck of lore by now.

Unrelated - has anybody played Argent: The Consortium? I was a little tempted by the second edition Kickstarter...

JoeyN    156

Nah there is always plenty of stuff to add to the original, plenty of comic stuff to draw from. 

I haven't played Argent, or seen the second edition KS. Other then Monoliths Batman KS coming in a few months, I am done with backing for now. Went a little overboard the first 6 months of the year.

JoeyN    156

If anyone needs sleeves, Miniature Market has all their games plus sleeves for 50% off for 3 days. I still have a ton from last sale, except American Sized so it was good timing.

Mark E    150

Deadline by WizKids is ordered and on the way. I was thinking of backing Argent, but then this came out of nowhere and I couldn't resist the idea of card play mixed with mystery solving.

Mark E    150

Huge weekend game session planned for us since we have a civic holiday three day weekend.

Possibly Scythe! Almost certainly going to play Clank and Flamme Rouge. I have an extensive list at the ready. I'd love to play some older stuff like Kingsburg and Chicago Express too. Or Chaos in the Old World.

• Like 1

JoeyN    156

I did not, was a bunch of other stuff around the same time. 

JoeyN    156

Renegade announced Clank in Space stand alone game. Same basic gameplay, but the board adds a bunch of new area types, and ways for faster travel. Looks really good from the video I watched.

Mark E    150

Given the level of popularity of Clank! with my friends, this is 100% a no brainer. Hell, it'll almost be worth it for more flavour text.

I love the look of the new Plaid Hat game, Stuffed Fables too. Looks like Mice & Mystics without the board set-up and more events. I am interested!

JoeyN    156

On the SW front there is a new miniature game which was leaked called SW legion which is land based battles. Also rumored is a game based on the Warhammer Quest card game system. Which I hope is true as it can be played solo.