LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

Should finally have Rising Sun tomorrow. GKR still has not shipped yet. Bummer

Just waiting on Fireball Island still...

Grabbed a copy of Hardback off the designer’s site though. I skipped the KS but I liked Paperback a ton and this has a different, refined feel apparently.

Rising Sun arrived, and I am always in awe when a CMON Kickstarter arrives, at just how much stuff comes in these boxes. The minis are amazing looking, especially the dragons and the Godzilla looking creature. I will take some pictures tomorrow.

I hope someone makes an insert ASAP. I am more then willing to spend money for inserts on games we play often, just waiting on some sales.

RPGgeek was having its annual RPG event for people who have never played an RPG or never did one on the message boards. So I signed up a few weeks back for the New Star Trek Game. Have been doing step by step character creation, and has been fun so far. Looking forward to getting into the game. Have always wanted to play an RPG, hopefully gives me an itch to play in more online campaigns.

The Rising Sun photos will be posted tomorrow, today just became a lazy watch DS9 and YouTube  type of day

Marathon session last night brought our Pandemic Legacy S2 game to a close. It was fun. Not the revelation that S1 was, but an engaging and exhausting experience.

It stayed difficult all the way to the end - we never really got a good grasp on how to manage resources effectively. The last task before you is quite perilous; we managed to win on the last turn of our last game, proper skin of the teeth stuff.

We’ll be taking a break before Gloomhaven and playing a bunch of Clank! and Terraforming Mars, I suspect. One thing I didn't like as much here is how railroaded it felt. I know the first one did it to a degree, but here it feels like they have to give you stuff after a certain period to keep the story they want to tell moving along.

At that point I’d just as soon they do the Gloomhaven model and have you repeat the mission until you get it right.

Gloomhaven continues to gloom onwards.  We've started going down a few more "story" quest paths, and managed to win a couple of scenarios with "creative" interpretations of the rules.  For example, characters who can create obstacles can be very useful when creating obstacles in, say, a doorway.  There's also a rule that says that if there aren't any more monster tokens of a certain type, then none can spawn (including by opening doors).  This means that we had a case where there were 10 oozes (since they can spawn other oozes) stuck behind us that we could safely ignore :)

Not sure about some of the next missions we just unlocked though.  On one hand, evil demonic voice, but on the other, evil demonic voice that might be able to help you...

• Like 1

That sounds like fun. I guarantee half my group is going to want to hear what it says and the other are going to want to wreak divine justice.

And frankly, I think creative rules interpretations are half the fun. We used that in Pandemic S1 to great effect ;).

58 minutes ago, Mark E said:

Aeon’s End Legacy is up on KS. Tempting!

Will wait for retail. Still need to finish the original set and expansions.

18 hours ago, Mark E said:

That sounds like fun. I guarantee half my group is going to want to hear what it says and the other are going to want to wreak divine justice.

It's hard not to read ahead in the scenario book to see what the outcomes are for different paths to try to decide which one is "better".

I think part of the challenge/problem with a Gloomhaven scenario is that the way the system works, you have to commit to your actions for a turn, and you have a pretty limited pool of stamina with the way that cards refresh.  There have been more than a few times that a turn has been completely nullified by either a null card, or an enemy with low initiative where they have something like disarm on all attacks.  Makes it hard to do much.  Time is definitely not on your side in this game.

19 hours ago, Mark E said:

And frankly, I think creative rules interpretations are half the fun. We used that in Pandemic S1 to great effect ;).

As did we.  It seems like it's much more fun to game the system like this in a co-op game.  There are fewer arguments that way.  A couple of others I like:

-Any ability that has "cause X damage" ignores shields.  I used a "poison adjacent enemy" combined with "remove poison to cause 3 damage" to insta-kill a demon that only had 3 HP, but a shield of 3.

-We've chosen to interpret area attacks as being applicable if any hex of the area is in range, even if that hex is empty.  After all, splash damage is a thing, right?

-Monster movement rules are pretty well defined, but we've chosen to interpret them without any forethought.  For example, if a monster has a "heal range X", they'll heal themselves first, no matter what.  They also won't move out of the way of other monsters (i.e. no group optimization), and won't look to optimize position for the next turn.