LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

It has 1vs , but Its really different. IA is more dungeon crawl where things get revealed as you play. This one is an updated version of the system they used for their Conan Game, you see the entire board from the start.

Yeah, Batman/Conan are 'dudes on a map' skirmish games really. They have scenarios to play, but ultimately you're putting dudes on the map & chucking dice. Nowt wrong with that, with the right people. It's not got the story/growth/campaign of Imperial Assault. 

My restraint for Kickstarter is out the window for the Chronicles of Crime launch. That thing is SO up my alley.

• Like 1

Went a bit crazy and bought some friends some gifts.

Barenpark, Photosynthesis, Sakura and 7 Wonders Duel.

I got myself Rising Sun but that's a pre-order, hoped to get Azul too but sold out everywhere.

• Like 1

First games of Terraforming Mars tonight. Really, really enjoyed it. But I am quite shit at it.

41 minutes ago, Mark E said:

First games of Terraforming Mars tonight. Really, really enjoyed it. But I am quite shit at it.

Nice, have not played it yet. Want to pick up some of the plastic trays for it first.

I got Raiders of the North Sea for free before I left for a trip because of a price error and amazon credit. Hope to play it tomorrow. Today we went to the local game store we always stop at when in PA, and picked up Hero Realms with the campaign stuff used dirt cheap  , and the character packs. Finally got the Cthulhu pack for KoT/KoNY as well.

Got a bunch of gaming done the last few days. Flip Ships, Arena of the Gods, Ethnos, Godfather Corleones Empire, and a few others . Going to play Mansions of Madness in a bit. Tomorrow I hope to play a bunch of unplayed stuff. A lot of rulebook reading ahead in the morning.

I have played it a lot with multiple groups and everyone has enjoyed it. It is probably the simpelist Dudes on a map game I have played. I was hoping an expansion would come out to add a little more strategy, but I do not think it sold well enough. It has been on sale a lot recently.

So I opened up the Hero Realms stuff I got used yesterday, and turns out it has all the KS extras, character packs and boss packs,etc. So now I have to sell the 5 sealed character packs I bought 😀

CMON just announced Zombicide Invader. Will be interesting to see what characters they do.

Finally got Gloomhaven organized, and read the rules and watched a play video. I think we are going to do this 4 player after all. The gameplay does not look as complicated as I thought.

It's really pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it, but it does take a few rounds to learn the basics, and then there's the intricacies of an individual class to sort out.  Biggest thing I think we have trouble with now is keeping track of everything we're supposed to be doing in a round (e.g. right, fire was supposed to move down, or that guy was supposed to add muddle to that attack).  The FAQ on BGG is useful for clarifying things too-it's worth a read of the whole thing after you've played a few games.

Played a bunch of rounds of Karuba last night, woo!

Also our first game of Valeria: Card Kingdoms. That was a lot of fun; I want to get some of the small expansions but it takes Machi Koro and gives it a little more oomph.

Had a very interesting Gloomhaven run yesterday.  Ended up getting to a point where between two of us, we managed to retire three characters at the same time, which meant unlocking a bunch of new classes, bumping up prosperity, and adding a bunch of new events.  Still not sure what I think of some of the new classes-the issue seems to be that at least one of them is better as a support for a larger party vs the only other character in a 2p group.  In any case, we've each got three characters on the go at once, and are picking and choosing from them as we see fit.  Some have more challenging personal quests than others, especially in a small group. 

Sigh. We HAVE to start that soon.

I am SO excited for the Fireball Island KS on the 3rd. It looks great and Restoration Games has a crazy track record so far. It’s one of two big game purchases I am trying to limit myself to, along with Betrayal Legacy.

Last week we played Survive and Magic Maze. Both fun; Survive is a frequent medium play here.

This week we either return to the wonderful Bunny Kingdom and Chicago Express, or I introduce the group to Chaos in the Old World... 

The First Expansion to Gloomhaven  Forgotten Circles was announced today. 20 New Scenarios, 1 new Class, and a bunch of new monsters. Takes place after the original game. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/250337/gloomhaven-forgotten-circles  Coming in October

This must have been a newer thing because a month ago Childress said the next release would be as big as the first. 

Kind of surprised that there wasn't a KS backer update on that, but at this point, I'm definitely in.  By the time it ships next year I'm assuming we'll be done with the main campaign. 

I had some spare time yesterday afternoon, so I tried one of the solo scenarios, and just barely managed to win it.  Had a card draw gone another way, it wouldn't have worked out. 

So what's been the long term verdict on Dinosaur Island? I dithered on it first time around, and the new KS is about to end in a few days, so I have a decision to make. 

Lots of positive initial buzz, but has it held up? It's a crowded market out there on my shelf... 

It may shock you, but it remains unplayed :P.

We’ve been caught up with other stuff, particularly Terraforming Mars and Bunny Kingdom. I’ve opted out of the current KS because of that :).

And I’d say we’d tackle it at tomorrow’s game day, but Clank: The Mummy’s Curse just arrived and we LOVE Clank.

• Like 1

Initial play of Dinosaur Island was good, not great. Short game was good to learn, but game was not long enough for our liking. We’re itching to play it again, so that bodes well. It’s very Eurogame but definitely has potential.

The phases interlock in a solid way, I am excited to do more with it. We bumped it to top spot for next game day which never happens, so that’s where we are ;).