LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

1 hour ago, SupahBlah said:

Randomly thinking about Star Wars Armada too even though I barely will ever get to play it. I am weird :(

Star Wars Rebellion is really good. Main game and expansion, so it’s not a money hole.

10 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Star Wars Rebellion is really good. Main game and expansion, so it’s not a money hole.

Totally different to Armada though, and scratches a totally different itch. I loved Rebellion the few times I've played it. 

10 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Randomly thinking about Star Wars Armada too even though I barely will ever get to play it. I am weird :(

Nah, I think most boardgames get bought with the intention of playing, not the actual practicalities of it always being possible, once you're well into the 'hobby' so to speak. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dogbert said:

Totally different to Armada though, and scratches a totally different itch. I loved Rebellion the few times I've played it. 

Yeah I know, but armada is also not being supported much anymore.

Picked up a couple of other games, and actually played one of them already!  Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle seems to be a pretty good deckbuilding game, and I bought it to play with my daughter (10), who is working her way through the books now.  I really like the way it eases into the mechanics (new cards/rules get added through the first 7 games), and we've played with the game 1 and 2 rules a few times already to get the hang of it.  The fact that it's a co-op game seems to work much better with her too, and means way fewer arguments.  Pandemic Legacy season 2 is going to wait until Emma and I are done with Gloomhaven, which I think is actually getting close.  We're heading into the final couple of boss encounters of the main campaign, and while we still have some other side missions etc to do, we've unlocked almost everything.  I know there's an expansion coming soon, but I haven't seen a release date yet, so that might extend our time with it through Christmas at least. 

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

I played through Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle with some friends about a year ago and really enjoyed it.  It sounds like you will be playing with 2 Players.  If you do play with four, or each control two characters you may want to watch out for some balancing issues.  In general we found that the game is significantly harder the more characters you play with as their decks each ramp up relatively slower than the enemies and most abilities (such as healing) don't apply to everyone where the enemies generally harm everyone.  We found the second last year (6?) essentially unbeatable with four and the internet seemed to agree. 

Anyways, really great game, very cool mechanics and super fun.  Just a friendly heads-up for something that could frustrate you guys.  There are some tweaks we made so we could clear it with four, if you get to the point where you're curious what we did just let me know.

Enjoy!

Roy

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up-we've been playing with 2 or 3 so far, and it's been pretty easy, but I can see it ramping up significantly.  Might grab the expansion around Christmas if we end up getting through the rest of the base game before then.

• Like 1

After two months of no game night(which no one could believe) we played Lord of Hellas again. We really like it,and will be starting off our charity marathon off with it next Saturday.  I will say that my strategy for the two games we have played has sucked, so I will need to rethink everything I have been doing :)

• Like 1

Yeah, our gaming partners have been gone a month so we haven't been playing squat either. Yesterday we were out with our old friends we used to game with and got a game of Bunny Kingdom in at least.

We’ll be back at it on Tuesday. I’m hopeful we’re going to play seasonally appropriate Mansions of Madness or Western Legends. The group wants to start Gloomhaven, but I’m trying to hold them off until Betrayal Legacy comes out :P

• Like 1

Targets buy 2 get 1 free board games is live. Also if you Text TOY to 827438. Get a 25% off coupon that applies to ALL the games in your cart.

So I picked up the second expansion to Colt Express, Mysterium Expansion and Ticket to Ride NY for $31 and change, usually $55. All the other bigger stuff on their site I already have.  If you have the Target card take an extra 5%off. 

• Epic Post 2

On 10/28/2018 at 8:18 AM, Mark E said:

We’ll be back at it on Tuesday. I’m hopeful we’re going to play seasonally appropriate Mansions of Madness or Western Legends. The group wants to start Gloomhaven, but I’m trying to hold them off until Betrayal Legacy comes out :P

Just start Gloomhaven already! :)

Preorders for Forgotten Circles are up now too-looks like it's supposed to ship in February now. 

• Like 1

Felt good to get in a day of board gaming today.  I enjoy winning, but most of the time I enjoy playing the games and hanging out with friends more. However, today I was excited about getting a win in Lords of Hellas to start things off. I finally got into the groove on how to play the game. You really need to set multiple things up to happen at once, otherwise your opponents will see what is happening a mile away and block it in one move. We also realized we were playing one of the special actions wrong, which caused the games to be longer. Today it was a decent 2 hour length.  Also won at Godfather and KoT, so my drought of winning looks to be over :) We also played 5 Minute Marvel which is a fun game, but it's pretty easy until the last boss battle with Thanos.  I picked it up to play with my niece, but I am going to have to extend the timer. 

• Like 2

On tuesday morning sometime Miniature Market has Phase 1 of it's Black Friday sale up. Do not know prices (they say they are the lowest of the year), but a lot of good games will be a part of it. Then starting Thanksgiving Asmodee  drops its MAPP for the weekend, and Phase 2 of the sale will happen.  I have a list of things I would like to pick up. Been holding off buying anything new that is above $25 the last 3-4 months

• Like 1

Good luck! I just dropped an ungodly amount on the Tidal Blades KS so I am done for the year except the reprint of Welcome To...

I’m expecting Chronicles of Crime, Fireball Island, and Betrayal Legacy all in the next couple weeks, whoops...

In actual played games news, we played Bunny Kingdom AGAIN on Tuesday (seriously, my group can’t get enough of this one) and I finally learned/taught Five Tribes, which was a lot of fun.

Tonight my girlfriend and I went through the Choose Your Own Adventure game and that was a hoot. The writing has some great singers and it FEELS like the books used to. Really cute way to spend the evening.

Yep my niece are I have been slowly playing it. Hope they make more.

chronicles of crime is on my want list.

Saw a story about Assassin's Creed boardgame kickstarter, and it sounds pretty cool:

Tactical co-op game with a persistent campaign and mystery unlocks?  Sold.  2020 delivery, but that means we might be through more of the backlog by then :)

That many minis sets my spider-sense tingling though, bleh.

Kickstarter is depressingly hit or miss for me. For every Gloomhaven, The Networks, and Spy Club I get from it there’s a Dragonflame, Apocrypha, or Food Truck Champion.

Apocrypha particularly burns because a horror version of the Pathfinder card game should have been a slam dunk and it got so delayed and the rules are such a shambles that I absolutely regret my huge pledge - I have the expansions coming this week after three years and all I want to do is just give the whole damn thing away to get back the shelf space :P.

If Tidal Blades ends up being junk, I will cry many tears and basically wash my hands of KS except for companies I absolutely trust, like Restoration Games.

Yeah looking at my KS list, the last game I actually backed was Gloomhaven. There are plenty I put $1 to watch. Lords of Hellas I got at retail, so that does not count. TMNT I will back in January , but other then that I am done with it. Have plenty of unplayed games, and most of these releases price drop really quick. I have also had a total flip of opinion on Kickstarter extras . Companies went from having a few promo figures/monsters to entire expansion sets that are exclusive. No thanks.