LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

We got two packages from BGG Secret Santa today, so there are at least 3 packages, which is a lot more then necessary after what was in the first two boxes.  The first was Ice Cool 2 which my niece grabbed from me, and is begging me to do a combined set  configuration ASAP.  We have played a lot of the first release, so this will be great. The other box was.........:Psycho:Betrayal Legacy which Phil and I are very excited to play.  So now I have another legacy game to play :)

• Like 1

We’re six chapters from the end of Betrayal Legacy and while it is a total goof of a game, as every Betrayal game is, it has been a lot of fun. Lots of destruction and writing and such.

The plan is to wrap it up over the holidays and then a couple weeks of regular games and then... GLOOMHAVEN!

And now Lazer Ryder’s arrived, and I do not think Secret Santa is done yet 😳😳 my SS has gone beyond this year.

• Like 1

I decided to pick up a Keyforge starter set and an extra deck , mostly because people already created a site (Keyforge Crucible) and a TTS mod where you can use your own decks without having to build them. Loving it, been playing all morning. I would usually not get into a game like this, but there are actually a lot of groups playing in NYC and LI.

Picked up Forbidden Island to play with the kids for Xmas, and it might be a little much for the 10 year old.  I'd never played it before, so my wife and I tried it a couple of times first, and had a hell of a time winning.  Managed with 3 players once Katie joined us, but it's definitely not easy to win.  Not sure if I like it or not.

It’s fun for a now and then game but it’s basically Pandemic-lite. I still have my copy but it’s only there for when I don’t have time for longer stuff.

What level did you play it on? If you think that is hard play Forbidden Desert :)  

"but it’s basically Pandemic-lite"

That it is. It does Pandemic Lite better then the smaller shoot off Pandemic games.

We were failing starting on Novice-is it just harder with 2 players?  I bought that one specifically because it came up on a bunch of lists of "games you can play with your kids", so I thought it might be simple enough for Katie to wrap her head around without getting bogged down in too many rules (and the co-op factor makes it easier to coach, and helps mitigate the "why do I always lose" factor). 

Of course, I've also never played standard Pandemic, only Legacy.

I'd double check you got the rules right with a video or two. 

It's been a while since I played it, but from what I remember, doing well at Forbidden Island, like Pandemic, is a lot about managing danger, not eliminating it. You can't be all places on the board all the time, so that's the juggling decision.

BTW I've got a spare steam key for the PC version of Twilight Struggle, one of the best two player board games out there. It's tough to learn, but it's a cracker of a cold war tug of war. 

I finally walked through the "real" Dinosaur Island game, and did a practice run through. Lots of rules that are easy to miss or get wrong. Like a lot of recent games, the rule book really could do with an external unrelated professional overhaul. Define your phases, define your actions per phase, define the limits per phase. This is not a hard game to play, but the rule book tries its hardest to suggest otherwise :) I like the game though, and look forward to play it with real people. 

Got a cheap copy of the Harry Potter deckbuilder from someone locally, I think that'll work better than the Big Book of Madness for a co-op deckbuilder with my daughter. Big Book isn't bad, just fiddly & unbalanced to the extreme. 

• Like 1

Yep she will like Harry Potter.

As for rule books, that is the one thing about board games that annoys me. Most companies suck at making them.

Harry Potter is good, especially if she's a fan of the books/movies.  I haven't got a huge amount of experience with deckbuilders, but we've made it up to game 6, and have had both easy victories, skin of the teeth victories, and pretty crushing defeats. 

Had a chance to get together with people over the break, and tried a few new games:

-Colt Express: Seems like a neat programming game where you have to script out actions in advance.  Managed to win a 6 player game by letting everyone else get distracted by the big money, and taking several smaller bits instead.  Not something I'm rushing out to buy, but it was fun to try.

-Secret Hitler: I'd never actually played this, and we had a group of 9 (including my 10 year old) playing.  It's basically the same as werewolves, just with slightly more accusations of fascism.  This might have been better with a different group of friends (the group we were with didn't all know each other super well).

-Rule of Root (I think that's what it was called anyway?): We didn't end up finishing this, but it seems extremely complex, since each player is using slightly different rules/goals to get what they need.  It did seem like it had potential though.  Given a less chaotic environment and some time I think it could be cool. 

I think it’s just plain Root :),

One of my friends has Secret Hitler and we’ve played well over 50 games in the last year, easy. It definitely needs the right group and is more social experiment than game, but I do enjoy it :)

I really enjoy Colt Express, especially with the first expansion.

That expansion looks Interesting-I did see that there's a digital version on Steam, so I might pick that up instead.  The main problem with the game is that the train cars are really small, so it was hard to get the little pieces out of them, but I figured you could make a really cool alternate board out of Lego or something like that if you really wanted. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

That expansion looks Interesting-I did see that there's a digital version on Steam, so I might pick that up instead.  The main problem with the game is that the train cars are really small, so it was hard to get the little pieces out of them, but I figured you could make a really cool alternate board out of Lego or something like that if you really wanted. 

Yeah I always hoped they would make a deluxe version.

The PC version for Colt Express isn't that great IMO - it's a straight mobile port.

Played an extensive six games/two chapters of Ultimate Werewolf Legacy on Saturday, backed by my homemade queso recipe.

Great fun was had, if you like social deduction games, which my group does. No two chapters are alike (even not accounting for the variety brought forth by the different ways the legacy aspect can branch) and that made for a lot of laughs.

Back to Betrayal tomorrow - six games to finish off that Legacy content and then it’s Gloomhaven time.

I’m VERY tempted by the Kickstarter starting tomorrow for Suburbia. I love that game and the preview for the new art style and game trayz bling is quite appealing.

Planned to start Betrayl tonight, but one of our friends got sick, so we played a long game of Adrenaline. Was great having a game night again. We plan on making this a more regular thing again.

Finally played Western Legends today. Fun game, really liked the poker mechanic for doing things and tons of different strategies to try out.

Also got in some Tie One On and Decrypto in the party game section of our day.

9DA13E9C-5121-4FED-8DCE-E5B06BD2BDCE.jpeg

• Like 2

Haven't been able to get a game night going for various reasons. Been playing a lot of Keyforge on the Crucible, and having a blast with it. I bought a box of decks when I had a bunch of Barnes and Noble coupons. Only opened 4 so far, as I have been opening a new deck a week to test out. Very cool concept, which I hope Fantasy Flight decides to try with another franchise. 

• Like 1