LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

What's a game night? :( 

Played first two 'years' of Harry Potter card game with my daughter. Huge hit, way better than the Big Book of Madness, the only other deck builder she's tried. The idea of "years" introducing new cards + mechanics following the books/films is awesome. Looking forward to playing some more. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dogbert said:

What's a game night? :( 

Played first two 'years' of Harry Potter card game with my daughter. Huge hit, way better than the Big Book of Madness, the only other deck builder she's tried. The idea of "years" introducing new cards + mechanics following the books/films is awesome. Looking forward to playing some more. 

Yes it is really good. We still need to finish the base game, so I can open the expansion.

It’s been tough here too. We are desperately trying to finish Betrayal before we go on vacation, but life’s been tossing curveballs.

Also my girlfriend is going to kill me if I don’t sell some games. Speaking of, Aeon’s End Legacy arrived and I’m quite excited to get that out. And Suburbia CE has been backed because I love that game.

Otherwise I’m fine. Though I have considered a couple packs of those Keyforge decks...

1 hour ago, Mark E said:

It’s been tough here too. We are desperately trying to finish Betrayal before we go on vacation, but life’s been tossing curveballs.

Also my girlfriend is going to kill me if I don’t sell some games. Speaking of, Aeon’s End Legacy arrived and I’m quite excited to get that out. And Suburbia CE has been backed because I love that game.

Otherwise I’m fine. Though I have considered a couple packs of those Keyforge decks...

Once you buy some decks, let’s hop on crucible and play some games.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dogbert said:

We made it through Year 7 last week on our first try.  It definitely gets much harder, and there were a few points where I had to stop myself from just telling her what she should be doing all the time, but it's a co-op game, so offering "suggestions" is at least encouraged.  It gets to the point of there being a lot to keep track of.

• Like 1

Finally got everyone (all 5 of us) here for a game night last night, and I really wanted to play TMNT Shadows of the Past again (as the 2.0 version of the game was ending on KS last night, more on that later). As i mentioned last time we played, we enjoyed it a lot, and the system is great, but we played some stuff wrong which I thought made the scenarios a lot longer then they should have been. I read the rule book again, and I do not know how I got anything wrong the first time, as the game is very easy to learn.  😆  We started from the beginning again, and this time it was exactly how I thought it would be. Game play was much quicker, and we had no issues at all. First few scenarios are more for beginners, but we can see how it will get more challenging as well move on. Would have got another scenario in but we decided to take a food break. Everyone had a great time, wanted to play more, and we are all looking forward to moving forward in the campaign next game night. Someone else wants to play the villain next time, and in this system its very possible to do.

As I mentioned above, the KS for version 2.0 of the game ended last night, and was funded with a ton of content. Looking forward to the Co-op and Skirmish modes being added. Plus they have plans for more content going forward.   It is the first game I actually purchased  on Kickstarter since Gloomhaven second printing. .  A few of the guys in the home brew community I became friendly with from the first campaign, were actually brought on to work on the updated version, but they never said why Kevin Wilson was not working on it, as he designed the system.  That is until the end of this campaign. Turns out Kevin Wilson is doing a Batman The Animated Series Adventure game using the same exact dice system and will be on kickstarter next year. The games in the adventure system will be cross compatible, so stuff from the newer Turtles comic series can actually cross over. Frankly I am glad I did not end up backing the Monolith batman game now. This one will get a lot more play, and more support not being KS exclusive. 

I got around to opening a bunch of keyforge decks I had bought, and I actually got one of the decks that they made invalid because of the name. Lets see what they do with a replacement. 

6 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Anyone else keeping an eye on Tiny Epic Tactics on KS? 

Nope. None of the last few have had any staying power with my group. 

8 minutes ago, Orpheus said:

Ah, did you already return the deck? People are collecting the illegal keyforge decks.

I still have it, FFG never got back to me.

Game day! 

[url=https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/254640/just-one]Just One[/url] - co-op party game where each turn everyone gives a one word clue to a guesser, but any matching words get eliminated. Not my usual genre, but I can thoroughly see the fun with the right crowd. Mark! 

Wingspan - thorough overhyped & over-priced for the market, but it's a dang good mid-weight Euro. Build a tableaux of cards, (mildly) place workers to activate the tableaux, and hopefully build a mild engine. It was thoroughly fun & engaging, well polished, and kept us all engaged. It looks gorgeous & drips its theme over every corner. But there's really nothing new under the veneer - what's there is very well polished & engaging (that word again). Fun! 

Played a couple more - the second Azul & Flamme Rouge. 

Nope, no more games until I clean out the game space. It is stupid full of stuff right now and I have enough KS still in the wind that I am not adding to it.

I backed Wavelength for my party game needs and that’ll do me :).

I have Aeon’s End Legacy, Fireball Island, Dinosaur Island Totally Liquid all taking up space and need to work them all into the collection area.

We’re hopefully finishing Betrayal Legacy today so we can finally move on to Gloomhaven in a couple weeks after we detox.

My two kallax are almost filled on top of them to the ceiling . These box sizes are ridiculous. Scythe Mega box, gloomhaven, GKR two boxes, rising run boxes, Fireball island, Betrayl legacy,  and other slipping my mind at the moment.

I've only used maptool. Free was a necessity. Worked well, especially being able to make custom macros for frequently used rolls. 

Middara arrived. 

Second biggest box I own (thanks, Starcraft, for being a FFG "coffin") but easily the heaviest. A couple of trays of minis, but the weight is really from the cards, map tiles, and spiral bound book of adventure + story. It's a classic JRPG  as a boardgame, basically. Great buzz so far, great attention to detail (e.g. story secrets are hidden in blurred text that need a red-eye viewer so that you don't accidentally get spoiled!, and gorgeous UV spot treatment on tiles and tokens[/i], etc). Pages of text between missions from what I've seen. Branching storyline. My group is really keen to start a regular dive into it, thought we're awful at playing campaign games regularly. I'll definitely need to learn the rules well first. 

Pic stolen from BGG: 

pic4456376.jpg

I think this is a good 'feel good' story from KS - they originally launched it in summer 2015 but clearly weren't ready to get it into production. But they plugged away at it, regular concrete updates, design changes for the good of the game, and an actual real game in the end. It's coming back to KS for another quick turnaround print run (now the hard work is done). 

• Like 1

How did I not hear about that. My gaming lately has been fireball island and a bunch of shorter games.

OMG I want that so bad.

We have finished off Betrayal and are currently taking it easy before Gloomhaven time. Gf and I played a couple of escape/puzzle games over the weekend - Wish You Were Here, which is a quick 90 minutes or so of a story contained entirely on postcards. Fun and backed the sequel on KS.

Also tackled Escape Tales: The Awakening, which was a lot of fun although the ending was a bit of a thud. The rest of it was good and the puzzles were varied and pretty clever.

• Like 1

BGG store has two promo monsters for sale. They are the top two vote getters from a contest ran on the forum. 

Building a proper gaming table by remixing just a touch some internet plans. It's coming along pretty well so far. Waiting for the tempered glass tv cover to arrive, then I can start applying the leatherette playfield and led lights. It's currently waiting for the staining to dry, then the clear satin finish over it - going for a medieval heirloom look and feel.

Anyone here have a dedicated gaming table? Anything you'd change about it?

20190330_183726.thumb.jpg.1e0cf081fde4bd3e84a3ec81793ac13b.jpgIMG953113.thumb.jpg.aa9e794cc587a897a289bc6d3f5ae636.jpg

• Like 2

I have a Duchess I backed on KS years back by board game tables. I love it, would not change anything.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rainmaykr said:

Building a proper gaming table by remixing just a touch some internet plans. It's coming along pretty good so far. Waiting for the tempered glass tv cover to arrive, then I can start applying the leatherette playfield and led lights. It's currently waiting for the staining to dry, then the clear satin finish over it - going for a medieval heirloom look and feel.

Anyone here have a dedicated gaming table? Anything you'd change about it?

20190330_183726.thumb.jpg.1e0cf081fde4bd3e84a3ec81793ac13b.jpgIMG953113.thumb.jpg.aa9e794cc587a897a289bc6d3f5ae636.jpg

Nice work!! Screen for D&D or anything else in particular? 

Just a plain old regular table with a leaf here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dogbert said:

Nice work!! Screen for D&D or anything else in particular? 

Thanks!

Yeah, the screen is going to be for map projections. It's 42" so there's a very large area to work with. Going to be using Fantasy Grounds to manage the projections and it has built in map scaler so I can keep everything to the 1" grid standard without any real effort. Gonna use Dungeon Painter Studio to create my own maps, too. Right now I'll DM family D&D with the official modules/campaigns, starting with Lost Mine of Phandelver, natch, which includes all the maps for this purpose right out of the box. Gotta start these kids off right. (It's an Ultimate license, too, so I can host games with friends if I can convince them to move over to digital local or remote play. Once they see it in action I don't think that'll be hard.)

Similar to the sample below, but mine won't have a lip or bezel around the screen and it'll be covered with tempered glass set flush along the greater play field, so dropping down a physical board for any other game won't be an issue either.

Everything can the covered with leaves to make a flat table for puzzles or what have you.

Should level-up the gaming around here.

2ly0mt1.jpg

Side note: check this map out.

• Like 2

That's extremely cool.  I like the tables that have the sunken/multiple surfaces (or at least the idea of them) so you can keep something setup in the lower section.  Never thought of integrating a screen like that.  Kind of reminds me of the old Microsoft Surface tables back when they were installation pieces (got to mess with them a few times at conferences and such).  Someone wrote a version of Catan for it that looked pretty awesome.  Using it for D&D maps, digital boards, or even multiplayer PC board games would be neat though.  Even putting some MAME stuff on there in cocktail mode could be cool. 

Are you planning on keeping a PC connected to this, or putting in HDMI ports/cables in that you can pull and connect on demand to a laptop or something?