LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

3 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Are you planning on keeping a PC connected to this, or putting in HDMI ports/cables in that you can pull and connect on demand to a laptop or something? 

I have a Surface Book that'll stay connected, which should make running the sound board super easy with the touch display, and a 3rd monitor as the main screen (so 3 displays total, including the play field).

The TV will have a sound bar attached to the underside with native control for volume and power, for ambient music, sounds, and effects. I'll start with piping in tabletopaudio.com, which has great ambient tracks and customizable sound boards, but Syrinscape has more external support, which can be integrated with Fantasy Grounds directly, and apps. I may explore that route if I find Tabletop Audio lacking. Syrinscape is subscription based so I tabletopaudio.com would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY lacking.

3 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Yeah that moving map is amazing.

The next big publish of Fantasy Grounds, Fantasy Grounds Unity, releasing later this year, will allow the user to add weather effects and animated objects to their collection of 2D maps. So you can launch a 2D city street map and click to add a layer of rain, with thunder light effects and sound, right on top - what a time to be alive.

• Like 1

Bought Treasure Island today and played it twice for game night and it’s a ton of fun. It’s technically one vs many, but the many are all in it for themselves and working out clues to find a treasure and it has dry erase markers and we all just enjoyed the hell out of it.

The complaints about the markers are legit, but we didn’t mind it too much. The one player has a brutally hard job - I played the role twice and it’s incredibly difficult to squeeze out a win based on the info you have to hand over. It’s such a hoot in that role though that it was no big deal.

My copy of Lord of the Rings Adventures will be here Friday. And have quiet time all day Saturday, so I know what I will be playing :)

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts! I can’t see us replacing Mansions of Madness, but I did like the look of the game :).

I really need to play more MOM. I have plenty of these games to play solo. MOM, Imp Assault, Gloomhaven, and now LOTR. My goal is to start scheduling weekly time. I also have a lot of arkham lcg to play. Played the starter stuff multiple times because I always take long breaks and forget how to play 😀

Lord of the Rings is all ready to go for tomorrow. Going to stick with two characters for the first play through to get a feel for things. Probably Aragorn and Legolas.

We have talked before about the size of the boxes these games come in. But Lord of the Rings is really of an example of how the box could be half the height. It does not have bigger enemies like MOM 2nd edition has. It’s going to take a lot of expansions to fill this thing which is what they may want, but is it a smart business decision?

Listening to many folks in the tabletop Industry lately bring up this very topic when deciding packaging. Yeah it takes up some more shelf space for display, depending on the way it faces. But with the cost of shipping these days, does it not hurt every level of the supply chain to  burn money from the extra card board weight, and fitting less copies in a case? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rainmaykr said:

Did we ever get a pic of your collection?

I thought I posted one a while ago. I will post one again once I get to straighten things up. Bit of a mess down there. 

• Like 1

So I played the first chapter of LOTR and I really enjoyed it, but I failed :(   It was because of a stupid decision I made. Instead of moving quicker across the board, I tried to do a search on a token, which I knew was not going to push forward the story at that point. I failed the search the first time with Legolas, and instead of moving on,  did the same thing again. So I had no choice but to keep Aragorn with him, as Legolas on turn two got a bunch of damage on him. The enemy phase that happened  right after that was the biggest jump up the threat level, and things got bad from there. Had to use a bunch of  readied skill cards/inspiration to take down enemies because of bad draws . I was still close to finishing, as were up to the last turn before failure, but the game kicked me in the balls. The darkness phase killed  Aragorn  with a 3 fright card draw,  which turned into 6 because of card effects, and then worst draw from my deck for successes during his last stand. So Legolas was all alone. I was able to search the base token twice, but I got zero successes both times, and had nothing to help. Oh well,  I will play  Chapter 2 tomorrow night, and get revenge ;)

I will give broader thoughts as I play more, but here are a few quick things

• The strategy involving the skill deck/draw for successes really works well
  • I made a few mistakes the first time I started, so I began again. The entire map was different, and a few changes were made.  Very nice to see this on the app, as MOM first layout was always very similar on multiple plays
  • I am playing solo as two characters, but I kind of wish I did at least three. That way Legolas could be more Range all the time, and I do not have to use him so much for doing clues and such. 

So after that my niece beat me at Roll for It , and Lolipop challenge, so I should give up gaming all together :)

• Like 1

After a long hiatus, back to Gloomhaven, and it continues to be awesome.  Almost to the "end" of the main story, and the second to last boss encounter is a complete bastard.  A boss that teleports around the map and disappears after attacking means needing to get at least a little lucky to take it out.  Managed on the second try though, part of which I'm going to write off to being a little rusty.  Back in it though, and hoping to wrap the main game stuff in time to start Forgotten Circles when it shows up. 

Also got my daughter Munchkin Harry Potter for her 11th birthday.  I'd never played any of the Munchkin variants before, but we played this a few times over the long weekend, and it seems like a lot of fun.  She managed to win once (legit-I don't let my kids win at stuff), and is actually doing a really good job of tracking all of the various rules in play.  Lots of +/- and rules on what you can have.  I thought she'd missed something by having 3 allies out, but she pointed out that Huflepuff lets you have an extra, and so did her role, so it was legal :)  Only complaint so far is that with the low hand limit, it means you can easily get into a position where you can't do much, but it also discourages hoarding, which is fun.