LCVG
kelley

Netflix members...

Ozark Season 2 was pretty great.   I hated Wendy (Laura Linney) in Season1, but in this season she's shown what she's capable of, and she's tough as they come.  

Major Spoiler: 

Spoiler

An absolute shit load of characters were killed off this season. Was super-sad to see Buddy go.  I loved the interactions he had with the family.

I need another Netflix show.  Whatcha got?

For now we'll continue on "The Americans", which we never watched before but we've already slow-binged up to season 4 over the course of this year.  That show is incredible!  

Carlos.

p.s.  Put me down as an anti-Sushi-ite!   No cold seafood of ANY kind for me. I won't even eat shrimp cocktails.   Love most any hot seafood.

This is not yer average Teenage Witch. Looks *awesome*, apparently the original comic book series is seriously creepy. 

• Like 2

Yeah the comic was good. It was tied into afterlife with archie.

American Vandal s2 is up :)

• Like 1

I'm 5 episodes in on American Vandal season 2.  This is a masterpiece!

It's clever, actually intriguing, and funny as shit, all at the same time. 

Yes, poop is funny.

Carlos.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Just finished American Vandal S2. That was some good shit right there. 

It's one of the best things Netflix has ever done. It struck all the right chords with me. 5 out of 5 Horseheads.

Carlos.

• Haha 1

I've watched the first 3 episodes of Maniac, and it's weird and trippy and sad.  It's also nice visually.  That's about all I can say about it now.  I'll keep watching.

Carlos.

13 hours ago, Carlucci said:

I've watched the first 3 episodes of Maniac, and it's weird and trippy and sad.  It's also nice visually.  That's about all I can say about it now.  I'll keep watching.

Carlos.

This show has me scared it is going to be one of those experiences where you appreciate it more than you actually enjoy it.

Finally got a chance to finish the second American Vandal. 

Overall, I think the first was funnier & faster to punch lines, but the second hit harder and had a bit more of a reach to its overall punch, if you want to mix boxing metaphors with a show about a turd burglar (please don't mix 'em in real life).

My wife utterly preferred the first season's more light-hearted overall finish. I think I preferred this season's more well timed social commentary. I don't know if I need another season to be honest. 

22 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Anyone start Haunting Of Hill House? Two episodes in and I am hooked. 

I started and finished it. I really, really , really, really, really liked it............until the last episode. It had so much going for it then just “copped out.”  I mean it made good sense, but I really didn’t like the way they went and it isn’t what I want out of my horror. 

14 hours ago, Eldorado said:

I started and finished it. I really, really , really, really, really liked it............until the last episode. It had so much going for it then just “copped out.”  I mean it made good sense, but I really didn’t like the way they went and it isn’t what I want out of my horror. 

Been reading that online... oh, well.  I'll be binge-watching just before Halloween.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:44 PM, JoeyN said:

Now Netflix has decided no Luke Cage S3 :( Hope it moves to Disney streaming.

I kind of wonder what the numbers look like on streaming content, and more specifically how long something like one of the marvel series will be relevant for.  For example, I still haven't watched Luke Cage Season 2 (or Jessica Jones 2, or Iron Fist 2, or Daredevil 3), but still want to get to it at some point.  I'm guessing they have data that's showing something like "90% of the activity for series X happens in the first 4 weeks", kind of like opening weekend sales etc.  Just curious whether the nature of Netflix can make things more "evergreen"? 

There's also a question of metrics-I'm assuming that the main metric here is whether something is driving new subscribers, which the Marvel stuff definitely has, but at a certain point that's going to slow down no matter what they do.  A decision like this has to be something like "producing season 3 will get us X new subscribers, and cost Y, but cancelling it will only lose us Z subscribers".  Doing the math, it's probably a case that X was getting smaller as the number of Marvel series increased, and the buzz around them decreased, and that Z is reasonably small, since Netflix is a reasonably sticky service. 

In any case, I really hope the stories around these iterations of the characters get a chance to wrap things up. 

I really think they need to find a way to get the seasons down to 10 episodes.  Almost every season seems to have so much filler crap that it gets diluted.  And if anyone needs cancelling, it's Iron Fist.  I've tried so hard to watch S2 and every time I'm bored to no end.  I'm two episodes in on Daredevil S3.  It's off to a pretty good start.

3 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

There's also a question of metrics-I'm assuming that the main metric here is whether something is driving new subscribers, which the Marvel stuff definitely has, but at a certain point that's going to slow down no matter what they do.  A decision like this has to be something like "producing season 3 will get us X new subscribers, and cost Y, but cancelling it will only lose us Z subscribers".  Doing the math, it's probably a case that X was getting smaller as the number of Marvel series increased, and the buzz around them decreased, and that Z is reasonably small, since Netflix is a reasonably sticky service. 

For some reason this monolog makes me think of Fight Club.

I really like Jessica Jones, but gave up on S2 as it didn't catch my interest.  Liked Ironfist at first, and then HATED it.  Didn't even try S2.  Wanted to like Luke Cage as I love that actor and loved him in JJ, but I only finished 60% of it before quitting and didn't try S2.  Defenders sucked!  It was more Iron Fist 1.5 than anything else.

The only series that I'm still dedicated to is DD and Punisher.  And the thing I liked most about DD WAS the Punisher.   I hear S3 is good though so I will watch it eventually.

I have enjoyed Cloak & Dagger... anyone watch that?  It is pretty good.  The actors are good.  The story takes some iffy turns, but I like to two lead actors a lot.  I'm guessing S2 might lose my interest based on most of these Marvel shows.  But we'll see.

5 hours ago, Eldorado said:

I really think they need to find a way to get the seasons down to 10 episodes.  Almost every season seems to have so much filler crap that it gets diluted.  And if anyone needs cancelling, it's Iron Fist.  I've tried so hard to watch S2 and every time I'm bored to no end.  I'm two episodes in on Daredevil S3.  It's off to a pretty good start.

It's already been cancelled, yes. 

I agree with you on the 10 episodes statement. I've said it before. 

I'm 5 episodes into Daredevil and while I'm enjoying it, there's plenty of shit I wouldn't mind being trimmed. Seriously, I couldn't give less of a shit about the FBI agent and his financial woes even if I know exactly where that storyline is headed unless they surprise me. There's enough good shit though (DAT prison fight sequence!)  that I'm willing to put up with it but it goes to what you were saying - get to the point already.

I watched three episodes of Jessica Jones S2 and stopped (I'd be surprised if that show isn't next on the chopping block). Fuck Iron Fist and I got two episodes into Luke Cage S2 before I stopped and forgot about it. I'm perfectly fine with Daredevil and Punisher being the Marvel Netflix spotlight from here for awhile. It was ok to keep piling on these characters when they were working towards "The Defenders" series but that landed about as well as a wet fart. It was about as enjoyable, too.  Quality matters and I think a little refocusing will go a long way to getting the TV marvel universe back on track.

I’ll post my wider thoughts about the Netflix marvel stuff once I get around to The new season of DD. My thoughts have shifted a bit about most of the tv super hero shows. The “full season needs to be about one threat” shit needs to stop ASAP on most of them. It is hurting a lot of them.

On the other side,  Episode 5 of Hill House was some fucked up shit. Loving every second so far.