LCVG
GreenMonkey

A Song of Ice and Fire - Game of Thrones - HBO Series

So glad the first two episodes focused on the characters. So many great payoffs built up from the previous seasons. 

Episode 3 is where the dragonglassis going to hit the fan.

Really worried about one particular aspect going into episode 3 because when something good happens it's sure misery will follow.

That was fucking exhausting. 

Spoiler

When Jon was running through to Bran all I could think of was the Telltale games. Passing all those people. 

Sam will remember that. 

Brienne will remember that. 

Jaime will remember that. 

🤣

• Haha 2

The music.....good lord the music. Stunning.

The main downside here is that the coming fight over the throne feels downright pedestrian by comparison. They just faced the end of the world, after all. They have serious work to do to keep me truly engaged given the stakes aren’t nearly as interesting/high as the White Walkers. 

Also, the ridiculous plot armor on some of these characters....

I liked the episode (though I have some serious bones to pick) but the writers putting major characters in unsurvivable situations time and again throughout with endless waves of the dead and then they pretty much all survive? It strains credulity. 

So let me understand..

Arya can barely sneak her way through a library with a few wights milling about but she can suddenly Solid Snake her way through the White Walker generals to reach the Night King to deliver the final blow?

Jonah-Hill-ok.gif

Spoiler

Rewatch that scene again. A question mark shows above one of the White Walker generals, and a huge exclamation point shows above NK. Definitely stealth fail.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Romier S said:

I liked the episode (though I have some serious bones to pick) but the writers putting major characters in unsurvivable situations time and again throughout with endless waves of the dead and then they pretty much all survive? It strains credulity. 

Agreed, I was shocked at how few people we care about actually died. Especially with some of the situations we saw them in. But it’s been kinda like that all along, I guess I was expecting the cast to be nearly decimated. 

My main complaint with the episode just had to do with it being a bit hard to follow. I have enough troubles at the best of times, but this episode was so dark, rapid cut and close up that I was really struggling to determine who and what we were seeing. 

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the episode. I'm glad they devoted so much time in the last episode to character moments because this episode was packed with action. The battle strategy didn't make any sense but it didn't really matter to my enjoyment.

This past Sunday's episode was okay, and that's with me drastically lowering my expectations. I'm really hoping the last two episodes knock it out of the park. I wonder if the last episode will be a denouement.

I'm enjoying the season, mostly because I'm allowing myself to get distracted from all of the weak writing.  How do you let yourselves get ambushed at sea again?  Anyways, so much fan payload coming all the time that I've decided to just let stuff slide and enjoy the good stuff.

Spoiler

How not a single soul remembers the dragon weapon test run is inconceivable to me.  Because that was a most obvious test which went to making it that much more lethal.  And nobody was prepared in the slightest.  If I was Cersei, I would have been having those things made left and right, and she obviously agreed.  Of course, now she has put most of her eggs in the "dragon-killing" basket, that may backfire.  

I've enjoyed all of this season a lot, with a lot of great character moments.  But some of this is trying.

That's good stuff.:) I'm don't have an issue with subverting expectations. I have an issue with the lazy writing and leaps of logic that they're using to arrive at that subversion. I don't want to dislike this season. If anything, I want to celebrate Thrones ending with a fist pump, not a fuck you. The last two episodes, however have ended with me saying "Fuck you" and rolling my eyes far too often, frankly.

On the plus side, since re-upping the HBO access for GoT, I got to catch up on Veep. That show still has its fastball. 10/10

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rainmaykr said:

On the plus side, since re-upping the HBO access for GoT, I got to catch up on Veep. That show still has its fastball. 10/10

Yep, it’s the better of the two shows by a mile.

• Like 1

Catapult effectiveness -100

Catapult Range -100

Catapult damage -100

Dragon power +1000

Dragon agility +1000

Plot conveniences + 1,000,000

Maybe not a popular opinion (and I’ll take the jabs) but I calls it how I see it and this season post episode 2 has been horribly rushed, poorly written garbage. A damned shame for a show that I want to actively cheer for it’s finale but can’t get past its quality right now.

• Like 3

Actually, most of what I'm reading seems to align with you.

A lot if people liked the action parts of episode 3, but really disliked plot armor. And a lot of people don't seem to like 4 or 5 either. Of course, I talk to like four or five people about this show, and their opinions align with a lot of r/freefolk.

My opinion though? I'm seeing the spinning plates finally falling.

I expected the Danny stuff, the rest was just bad tonight.  They set up all these major conflicts and eventual meetups, and then just say screw it.

It sometimes feels like they read all the forums, see that people have figured out how things should end for all of the characters and just changed everything, avoiding the top few theories for each character just so they can say "haha internet, didn't see that coming, did ya?!"

I'm getting really good at parking my rage until after the episodes.  I can enjoy the ride, then turn into a pillar of rage afterwards.  I probably would have preferred the show just, you know, be good though.

I've tried really hard to cut the show some slack, but it's way out of rope.  Someone online put it pretty well a week or two ago.  We used to hate characters and get mad at them.  Now we just get mad at the writers.  I'm not mad at Dany this morning, that wasn't her last night.  If they wanted to turn her into that they needed another season or so to do it.  Reminding us that Targaryens sometimes just crack at the start of the episode (hmm maybe they just flipped a coin on every decision this season...) sure is grasping at straws for me.  OK, can't waste too much time being mad, there's no point breaking down each and every thing they could/should have done better, I'd be here all day.  

I have very little to no issues with Dany doing a heel turn. The seeds have been planted for a few seasons but the problem is that a seed doesn't turn into a 1,000 feet tree in the span of four episodes. It's all about executing that turn and making it feel organic and real and they've utterly failed in that regard. The way the episode was structured made it impossible to buy in. I mean, she had won. The armies of King's Landing had laid down their arms. The bells were ringing. I understood her rage and expected her to make a beeline towards the Red Keep and demolish it down to the last stone. I would have bought that completely. I would have bought her making Cersei and those around her suffer. However, setting thousands of people on fire on the way just cause she mad? Come on. If this were  an actual full season or even if there were still a season 9 coming, they could have spent real time showing Dany evolving into a tyrant ruler that needed deposing. This episode would have served as a stepping stone to that. They could have spent time with Varys working against her in the shadows and playing the "game". Instead we get Varys sending out some notes that will no doubt lead to the Dorn prince and others turning against Dany in the end. Oh and he's cooked alive because Tyrion (LOL) stabs him in the back? Tyrion? Varys saved his life and was the one friend he had in King's Landing and he shanks him in the back for an ill-tempered ruler who won't listen to a damned thing he says? They've turned Tyrion into the dumbest motherfucker in captivity. 

Speaking of which - "The city will fall. I've defended it and know its secrets!" Apparently the secret to bringing down the Red Keep is to fly at it head on with a dragon that can suddenly avoid any and all danger from the scorpion catapults that we've been shown to have deadly accuracy and range. Meanwhile the rest of your armies sit and wait at the front door. :sadfleck:If the Red Keep had never fallen up until this point, it was due to sheer incompetence at best because knowing all of its secrets amounted to nothing. 

There's so much other stuff that that's bothersome here. Everyone pleased that Jamie survived the White Walker fight, now? Eight seasons of a redemption arch thrown in the garbage. How about Brienne? Out in the snow in a robe crying cause Jamie is Cersei's bitch when it was all said and done. Maybe they'll make her surviving worthwhile next episode? I won't hold my breath.

Speaking of Cersei.....my god. THAT is how you end this whole thing? A throwaway death underneath the city? No confrontation with any of the people she has slighted? Instead, I'm supposed to feel bad for this psychopath? Get the fuck out of here.

That's pretty much my reaction to everything post Episode 2 of this season. 
Get the fuck out of here.

I'm gonna miss Veep. That's the most positive thing I can say. At least Clegane-bowl was pretty fun

• Like 1

Best thing about this season so far is that it’s almost over. And that’s a damn shame. 

I wonder how Martins ending went. Has he finished it?  I know the show diverged  at some point and there were lots of changes.