LCVG
Chris F

Sony Playstation 3 Tech Issues Thread: Discuss Hardware/Software Issues Here

It is probably due to the fact that hard drive manufacturers use deceptive labeling on drives. They measure 1 GB as 1000 MB, when in fact it should be 1024 MB, so the actual capacity is less than what is on the box.

Edit: Nevermind, I must have misread you, you were talking about the 367 part. I'm curious too, as I might upgrade my drive in the future. I still have the 60 GB in there.

Edited by Peter O

Should work fine since it is also a standard Bluetooth Mic.

-Dean-

Thats my thinking too, hoping for some confirmation. I snagged a USB Bluetooth dongle off eBay for a couple of bucks so it will be a cheap experiment at any rate.

Edited by OldDarth

I think I have a prob with my PS3. I've loaded a shitload of my Maui pics onto it, and I wanted to use that picture program that's on the PS3 to add in some background music, and show the pics in a nice portrait/slideshow kind of thing.

Anyhow, if I use that picture program, the music tracks never work and, if I back out of the program and try to play any music, nothing plays. No audio. It acts as though it wants to play, ie the music files are shown normally and, nothing locks up but, there is no audio.

I have to fire up a game to force the audio back on, quit the game, then music plays again. Of course, if I try to run that ps3 picture program, the audio gets killed across the board again.

Anyone run into this? Don't really even know what to type in to do a search on it. Ps3 audio prob, seems like a pretty wide search key. Is this a known prob/glitch?

Sounds like a bug in the slideshow viewer program thingy? I've never tried what you're doing so I've no idea if it's specific to your PS3 or a global bug.

I've used a BT headset as a PC mic and it works fine but - remember that most PC audio apps will only see it as a general "headset". So it's kind of an all off or all on thing - Meaing all game or Windows sounds will come through that headset instead of splitting to the speakers (Steam for instance will route all sound to the headset, not just voice). You should be able to find apps (Skype, TS) or drivers depending on your sound board to override these settings and get the headset to only receive voice or whatever you specifically want on it.

I've used a BT headset as a PC mic and it works fine but - remember that most PC audio apps will only see it as a general "headset". So it's kind of an all off or all on thing - Meaing all game or Windows sounds will come through that headset instead of splitting to the speakers (Steam for instance will route all sound to the headset, not just voice). You should be able to find apps (Skype, TS) or drivers depending on your sound board to override these settings and get the headset to only receive voice or whatever you specifically want on it.

Thanks for the tips. Muchly appreciated.

Has there been some downtime on the psn? I tried playing some SF4 online last night, and as soon as I went into the network menu, it said "disconnected from the playstation network". I also had a hard time starting the game at all, since when I turned the system on, I got the playstation 3 splash screen (from the game), and then an indefinite black screen. I finally got it to boot by deleting the game install, but I'm still not sure what was going on.

Looks like my PS3 has decided to die on me. I started it up earlier today just fine but when I put a blu-ray in it looked like it was loading but then just froze. I had to shut it off from the back to get the start screen to even come back up. I tried a few other things - playing a demo, connecting to the Playstation network, trying a different movie - but none of it worked. Being out of warranty it looks like it will cost me $150 to send it in, unless I decide to just go with the Samsung player for $250 or a Sony for $300. I only have one game for the system so it won't be too big a loss in that regard.

Any other solutions I can try?

Try formatting your hardrive. I had a similar issue after a firmware update and it was my last resort before sending it to Sony. I never expected it to work but said what the hell and luck for me it did.

Sorry if this ends up a dumb/repeated question - how do I reformat the drive?

EDIT: From digging around on the net, I think I have some idea. I have removed the drive from the PS3. Now I assume I need to remove it from the holder and then put it in a notebook to do the FAT32 reformat, right? My daughter's laptop doesn't look like it will fit the drive so I am hoping my wife's will. I'd like to be able to try this before spending money on a new drive, sending the PS3 in, or buying a blu-ray player.

Edited by Tonner Cyn

Sorry if this ends up a dumb/repeated question - how do I reformat the drive?

EDIT: From digging around on the net, I think I have some idea. I have removed the drive from the PS3. Now I assume I need to remove it from the holder and then put it in a notebook to do the FAT32 reformat, right? My daughter's laptop doesn't look like it will fit the drive so I am hoping my wife's will. I'd like to be able to try this before spending money on a new drive, sending the PS3 in, or buying a blu-ray player.

Sorry if this ends up bieng a dumb answer :) - but in your original post you said that by turning off the power on the back you were able to get to the start screen, but not access demos, games, or movies. However, that sounds as if you were able to get to the XMB menu. In which case, before taking out the drive and searching for a notebook to stick it into, there is a format drive utility in the systems options. At the very least start there. Outside of that, if you can't use your wife's laptop, there are for around $15 (I think) enclosures that turn a 2.5" dirve into a usb drive so you could use any PC to format it. Just remember that if you're using Windows, it will not let you format as a FAT32 for anything larger than 32MB, but a quick google search will find you plenty of freeware that will take care of that assuming you don't already have another software program to do so.

Last night my PS3 wouldn't even load the browser or start a disc. I eventually reset it and tried to restore everything. That didn't work so I tried reformatting the hardrive and it works this morning. I noticed that it wasn't reading some blu-rays quite so well last week. I ran it all morning and it seems to be back to normal. I have no idea why reformatting the drive worked for me this time nor why it worked after a firmware upgrade killed the ability to read BRs but it does. When in doubt, reformat!

Hi guys. Sorry for not being totally clear on things - I'm not used to messing around with the PS3. I have not been able to use the PS3's own reformat option because it freezes on me before I can even get there. Last night I tried and the furthest I could get was to the System Setting icon; even then it would not actually load past that to the next menu.

So, I think I know my next question. How do I connect the PS3 hard drive (which I have removed) to a laptop to reformat it? I think I was all wrong last night as I was trying to line it up with my daughter's PCMCIA slot.

UGH - I just read Dave's post a little more closely. I can't format it using Windows? Can anyone suggest a freeware program that would work?

OK, I just ordered a $10 enclosure from Fry's that they are supposed to have ready for me to pick up tonight.

So:

1 - Can I reformat it using any computer? Some things I read last night made it sound like it needed to be done using a laptop.

2 - Still looking for a program to do the actual reformatting. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT: If I don't mind losing access to about 8 gigs of hard drive space, would I be okay using Vista to reformat the PS3 drive? I'd at least like to do this and try it out to see if there is another problem. And since I have downloaded/installed pretty much nothing I don't have any real concerns about the loss of drive space.

Thanks for your help guys. I know it is kind of silly but when I realized the PS3 wasn't working it put me in a pretty sour mood. Now I feel some hope at least. I will have to download the system update though and use a flash drive, right?

Edited by Tonner Cyn

Tonner - as long as you have that enclosure which basically turns your PS3 HD into a USB drive - any computer will be able to reformat the drive. However, you'll want to do a google search for a formatting utility that will allow you to format it in the FAT32 file format and not be restricted to a 32GB partition. I recently did basically the same thing when I upgraded my drive and did a quick google search landing me on "Fat32formatteren" which worked like a charm (took a while to do a low level format on a 500GB drive - but that's to be expected) - it's a freeware program that doesn't require any sort of installation :)

Gah! Bought the enclosure, got the drive in it, connected it to the computer and...NOTHING! It does not recognize the drive. I tried installing the drivers that came with it and it only works on Windows 98 and 2000. I'll try it at work but this is frustrating. At least it was only $10 but come on! I just want to watch some blu-ray!!

EDIT: OK, I finally got one the drive reformatted using the fat32formatteren. I put it back in the PS3 and it said it needed to reformat, which I expected. It got to 99% and then froze :(. Is there any point in buying a new hard drive, or should I just go ahead and shell out the $150 to Sony?

EDIT2: I don't know what happened, but after trying to go through the PS3's reformatting a couple of times, it finally has seemed to take. It loads to the XMB as fast as it used to and does playback blu-rays (at least the one I tested). I did notice that it no longer recognizes what movie I put in before it plays, but if that is my only problem I will gladly live with it. I do wonderhow long this will last though. I downloaded the system update and put it on a flash drive and tried using it on the PS3 and the system did freeze. Time will tell.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions! I don't know what I would have done without it (well, I guess I would be out $150 :)).

Edited by Tonner Cyn

I would try a new HD if anything goes wrong again. The HD has been the source of every weird issue I have had.

My PS3 has been acting up on Blu-ray movies and now it seems like games, the movies will just pause, I can get back to the home screen and exit out, if i try the shutdown the system stays on and nothing happens, I moved a disc after shutdown and the system seemed to restart, I did format the drive with the PS3 util and nothing has improved, I guess I will try again, any other ideas?

Edited by NickC