LCVG

It's Grillin' Time!

Jordan_E

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys not grill year round? My grill gets used twice a week minimum.

January, dead of winter, sub-zero temps and a foot of snow on the ground I grill, just open up the garage door and put on a coat. I just seem to do a little more of it in the warmer months.

January, dead of winter, sub-zero temps and a foot of snow on the ground I grill, just open up the garage door and put on a coat. I just seem to do a little more of it in the warmer months.

We grill all year round.. Nothing beats some chicken and hotdogs on the griill.

Do you guys not grill year round? My grill gets used twice a week minimum.

Same here. Not quite as much this winter cause of the new house and the fact that our grill was in the garage, but usually we use it quite a lot year round.

Goal for this year with the grill is trying to figure out smoking. I tried smoking ribs once, and it just didn't work all that well. Seemed like no matter how long I left em in there, they just didn't cook all the way through. I'd like to figure out how to make good ribs though, so I'll give it another shot sometime this summer (once our backyard is something other than a mud field).

The hot sauce store we found a few weeks ago should also really help. We managed to get a fantastic Jerk sauce that works really well on pork loins, and a horseradish/wasabi sauce that's amazing on burgers.

but I am having a lot of fun trying various chicken, fish, and grilled veggie recipes

We've actually started just taking a bunch of veggies (usually mushrooms, peppers, grape tomatoes, sweet onion, and maybe some asparagus), cutting em all up to bite size chunks, tossing them with some olive oil, salt & pepper, and then tossing them on the grill in a metal basket while we cook everything else. Really tasty. Also do something similar with potatoes, but I toss in some sesame oil for flavour, and add a bunch of red pepper flakes (and whatever else I feel like that day). I'll start these in the microwave for about 20 minutes, and then finish em in the grill basket so they get nice & crispy.

Shit, now I'm hungry. I should pull some steaks out for this weekend :)

Blackened Tuna steaks on the grill are the best.

Use a little less than teaspoon of McCormicks cajun spice, rub it on the tuna. Butter or margerine one side of a peice of aluminum foil and cook the tuna on top of that. Outstanding.

That Cajun spice also goes really well with Turkey Burgers. Rub the burger with a touch of it, cook it, brush a little of your fav BBQ sauce towards the end of cooking and cover with cheese, I prefer provolone.

And the mean time while your cooking all of this, the hot dogs should be sitting on the top grill cooking as well. There should always be a hot dog on a grill while one is cooking. At least in my world.

We've actually started just taking a bunch of veggies (usually mushrooms, peppers, grape tomatoes, sweet onion, and maybe some asparagus), cutting em all up to bite size chunks, tossing them with some olive oil, salt & pepper, and then tossing them on the grill in a metal basket while we cook everything else. Really tasty.

Yes. I discovered this a couple years ago, and it's by far the best way to cook vegetables I've ever found. We usually throw some barbeque sauce on 'em too... why not...

I don't. I'm not going outside in the cold and snow just to cook some food. :td

Strictly a spring/summer/fall activity here.

I like to start my potatoes in the microwave as well, then peel them, cross cut them on one side about halfway down, hit em with some melted butter and garlic salt, top with parm cheese, and wrap in tin foil. Cheese kind of crusts up a little and the garlic butter flavors up the potato, I eat way too many of those.

We'll be grilling near Mackinac / St. Ignace this weekend. We were gonna camp but the wife reconsidered the idea of trying to hold a 16mo old in a campsite (she doesn't like to stay still), plus it's gonna be a bit chilly for her at night. So we're staying in a hotel but plan on grilling and doing that kind of stuff this weekend.

I don't normally grill anything fancy. Just burgers and hot dogs and that kind of stuff.

Yeah, I'm going to try to hold off mentioning him except to say his books have helped me an awful lot, from learning how to grill on first a gas, and then a charcoal grill, to making my own rubs and barbeque sauces, to branching out from the traditional burgers, steaks, chicken, and dogs and into things like grilled pizza (actually just had some of that tonight, mmmm), grilled pineapple rings served over ice cream, beer can chickens (made two of those last week), grilled salmon, tilapia, cod, asparagus...basically anything you can cook, he has a technique for grilling it.

/end of infomercial

BTW, if there is anything better than grilled pizza with sliced tomatoes, fresh mozz, and fresh basil along with an ice cold beer or three on a hot summer night, I haven't found it. :tu

Dang! Because of my wife talking about the Angus burgers the other night I have to cook up a dozen tonight for her family! Luckily I have a fairly large grill, but I'm trying to decide if I should fire up both sides of the grill or just go ahead and use the one side and flip like crazy.