LCVG

World Chamionship Pool

rustyjaw

I saw the promo box for this game at EB yesterday, first I'd heard of it. I like video billiards/pool, so I'll be tempted to pick it up (wonder if it'll be $50 though). If done right, it could be another fun Live game/chat room. I hope they nail the physics.

What would really rock is if it was 720p capable, as I can't imagine there being a lot of polygons to push in a billiards game.

EDIT: found a preview of it:

http://www.gamingworldx.com/xbox/WorldCham...pPool2004.shtml

The feature list of World Championship Pool 2004 is quite substantial. The 8 and 9 ball games are there, of course, but other modes include Trick Shot mode, where you'll compete to see who can sink the most challenging shots, Fun Games mode, an unconventional game where the rules have been drastically changed, and snooker, the Brit's billiard game of choice. And with a detailed coaching mode to teach you the finer points of the game, you'll be hustling like a pro in no time.

This is an interestign tibit from that same page:

Rather than programming the AI themselves, the developers let the game run for two years so it could learn how to play for itself...Prepare to have your balls handed to you.

:lol:

Two years? So it's been in development longer than that if they had their neural nets up & running by then... Or are they taking their "brain" from another title in development? Hmmm.

More likely, they've been "training it" as they developed it over the last two years, and either it's a translation thing or the interviewer misinterpreted it...

Could be cool, but probably utterly unnoticable to the untrained eye. Most good AI usually is...

More likely, they've been "training it" as they developed it over the last two years, and either it's a translation thing or the interviewer misinterpreted it...

I'll be interested to see if there's any more elaboration about that. Even neural nets require the involvement of people, to show the network the errors in it's own output.

I wonder if they mean 2 'machine years' or something non-realtime.

The developer does have a history creating pool games, especially for the PC, so it could be their "PC brain" ported to the Xbox, rather than especially trained for this specific game.

I honestly don't think there's a big enough market out there for a pool game that takes more than two years to develop to cover its costs...

Saw it on EBGames - $39.99 price tag. It looks very interesting to me. I'll go for it if I can get some of you guys to join me. It's nice to have a good variety of Live games to suit your mood - dogfighting death, urban warfare death, Paris racing, golf, pool, etc...