LCVG

Dirty Disc Error?

dogbert

So I got my first ever "dirty disc error" on a non-work Xbox. Took the disc out, tried it on another xbox, it worked fine. Bah.

So, short of sending it off for repair, is there any easy solution to this or is the machine on the slipperly slope that ends in a dead disc drive?

Which game were you playing? I used to get DDE's on Morrowind all the time, but every other game before or since has played perfectly fine. I know you said the disc worked okay on another Xbox, but I maintain that some discs just have personality conflicts with some Xboxes. :)

[edit]Oh, I see from another post that it was Shrek. In that case, I have nothing useful to contribute.

[edit again](Shrek???)

:P

I started getting them on KoTOR after a very long marathon session. It started happening again GR:IT a few weeks after I got it. There are no scratches or any kind of blemishes on that disc. It may be a heat issue with mine though. I moved it out of my component rack and onto the floor and haven't had any problems since. My main concern now is the console is starting to make a squeeky sound like it has a hamster wheel in it. Not sure which part is causing it but I don't want to lose my game saves for a second time. I'm thinking about buying a new system to back everything up with.

On some of the fanboy sites, they recommend BOILING your disk for a few seconds to resolve this problem.

Is that for real, or is that just the typical childish nonsense you would expect from any site other than LCVG?

I've had dirty disc errors on at least 3 Official Xbox Magazine discs. After hearing about the boiling trick, I decided to give it a shot, figuring that it was cheap enough to purchase a new one if it didn't work. But...

It works!

My discs worked flawlessly after boiling. This is after not even being able to get to the menu screen on the demo discs.

Here's how I did it: Tie a string through the center of the disc. Drop it into a pot of boiling water, being careful to not touch the sides of the pot. The disc may flex slightly in the water from the heat. After 20-30 seconds, take it out, and lay it on a flat surface, label side down. After it cools, dry it with a cotton cloth (napkins have wood fibers that can scratch). It should play. Repeat if necessary. I had to do one of my discs twice before it worked.

I'm not sure why this works, but it does. I hope this helps. At least Shrek isn't a 50 dollar disc...

Edit: I forgot that I also had to boil my Burnout 2 disc. There was one track that I COULD NOT get past because the dirty disc error would come up at the EXACT same spot. No problems after boiling...

I hope this helps. At least Shrek isn't a 50 dollar disc...

Well, my problem isn't with Shrek giving out DDEs - my issue is whether or not this is the "thin end of the wedge" & I'll get more of them in time. I haven't had issues with Shrek on another Xbox, and right after the DDE, I tried it on a second box without any problems.

:-/

Well, my problem isn't with Shrek giving out DDEs - my issue is whether or not this is the "thin end of the wedge" & I'll get more of them in time. I haven't had issues with Shrek on another Xbox, and right after the DDE, I tried it on a second box without any problems.

Ok, I understand. I can't really answer your question if this is the 'start down the slippery slope', but I will say that I was getting the DDE's on a regular basis for a while. The demo discs and Burnout 2 were all within the same time period, and I was also wondering if it was only the beginning. But I haven't gotten any since, even for KOTOR. I was never able to try out the discs on a different Xbox, however.

Originally posted by Robot Monkey+Oct 23 2003, 02:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robot Monkey @ Oct 23 2003, 02:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gigapower@Oct 23 2003, 03:48 PM

Now Brian be honest with us.....what the fuck were you doing playing Shrek?

He was practicing that fake accent of his in order to keep us convinced that he isn't from Texas. [/b]

Har har ;)

Just grabbed a random game from the shelf to play, wanted something I didn't care about saving my progress in, and this popped out... Of course, it crashed whilst saving which I found a little ironic.

The paper envelopes that OXM uses for the Demo discs seems to leave a film or something on the disc which makes it hard for the machine to read. The boiling takes that off, and has worked every time I've tried it, although I think just running it under some water might do the trick too.

One time I put my XBL Demo disc (which I used all the time for MotoGP) in one of my demo disc envelopes for 5 minutes, popped it back into my XB and it wouldn't read it (I only had to wipe that one to get it working again).

As for Shrek... it's rather hard to know how slippery the slope is from one problem game. I personally wouldn't worry about it until it starts to happen a bit more frequently with other games.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I hammered on the machine last night with both Shrek & Halo to try & see if I could get it to happen again, and I couldn't. Repeating exactly what I did in Shrek did nowt.

So, for now, I'll keep it. May go buy a decent lens cleaner for the dvd drive just to "head off" any issues a little.