LCVG

There are no hesitations when editing, it's all very quick and fluid. The only complaint right now is the fiddly nature of trimming clips in the timeline...I don't see a way to zoom in to the timeline. But it's pretty amazing for a phone and a 1.0 product, IMO.

Trimming clips is my biggest complaint too. And because you spend so much time doing it, the fact that it's so easy to freak it out really makes it stick out.

How do you switch music when you transition to another clip? Not all my clips that I want to put together are of the exact same type, so then the music playing for one part seems totally stupid for the next.

It's been tough sitting on the sidelines through the launch. It is even more difficult now that iOS4 is proving a bit too much for my 3G model. Text messaging in particular is really slow. The text app takes about double the time to open and lags badly when typing -almost to the point of being unusable.

If this is Apple's way to force me to upgrade earlier than planned it just may work. ;)

There's always been something incredibly inefficient about the Messages app, on my 2G it took forever to launch. You might try deleting some old messages to see if that helps.

You won't regret going to 4.0. The speed difference between the 4.0 and my 3G was worth the upgrade price alone. Its a night and day difference. The retina display and multitasking and HD video camera are just gravy.

It's been tough sitting on the sidelines through the launch. It is even more difficult now that iOS4 is proving a bit too much for my 3G model. Text messaging in particular is really slow. The text app takes about double the time to open and lags badly when typing -almost to the point of being unusable.

If this is Apple's way to force me to upgrade earlier than planned it just may work. ;)

What I would like to see is the option to select the bit rate the songs are compressed at. I would love to rip all of my CDs in a lossless format and then be able to transfer them over to the iPhone at 256 kbps AAC. Maybe that's a feature we'll see in a future version of iTunes.

This, please.

Used the iPhone4 all weekend and still the battery never got below half per day; I fucking love this phone :) Everyone who has seen me with it has asked for a play on it so I would agree that the hype on this particular model is still crazy high. I haven't had any noticable reception issues, no dropped calls and signal strength has been great for me in places that weren't before.

I also finally got to try out FaceTime with my brother. We did an hour long video call and it was damn near flawless. Very good image quality, we were able to flip between cameras and between aspect ratios easily with almost no lag. The voice quality was very good and lip sync was spot-on the entire call. I called direct from the UK to him in the US via FT and didn't have to dial his iPhone mobile number first or anything: just went to his contact listing and hit the FaceTime button - Awesome. I've been in video for a while as most of you know but thats easily the best video call I've ever done on a mobile. Add to that the fact that there's no setup whatsoever and the ease-of-use of the interface and I think it beats anyone else in the market right now on mobiles.

For those interested there is also now a "test" line to demo FT on with Apple:

1-888-FACETIME

Used the iPhone4 all weekend and still the battery never got below half per day

Wait... after an hour-long vid call and browsing and calls and what not all weekend? 72 hours? You didn't need to charge once? I find this very doubtful.

He said Half per day. I think he means he charged it at night, but never got below 50% during a single day of use.

He said Half per day. I think he means he charged it at night, but never got below 50% during a single day of use.

Ahhh. Okay. Thanks. Missed that in my mental panic over what he said.

So now that you guys have had your phones for a few days, can you speak to the supposed "Death Grip" causing a signal loss? I do notice the bars fluctuate quite a bit more than they did on my iPhone 3G, but this has not prevented me from accessing data online or making calls (although I must admit I have not made that many calls since Thursday.

I guess I'm just curious if the reception issues have improved or worsened for folks in other parts of the country.

So now that you guys have had your phones for a few days, can you speak to the supposed "Death Grip" causing a signal loss? I do notice the bars fluctuate quite a bit more than they did on my iPhone 3G, but this has not prevented me from accessing data online or making calls (although I must admit I have not made that many calls since Thursday.

I guess I'm just curious if the reception issues have improved or worsened for folks in other parts of the country.

I haven't had any problems with calls (although I don't make that many either), and my data reception and speeds are far better than they were with my 3G.

I must say that because I am aware of the antenna issue, I do avoid holding the phone in particular ways. Seems kind of stupid to need to do so, but it is what it is.

When running the same network speed test on my iPad that Ive run on my iPhone, my iPad blows the doors off the iPhone 4. Several mb/sec worth. Is this dur to the iPhone having the 2.4ghz n, as opposed to the 5ghz n for the iPad?

For clarification Josh Yes Graeme is correct and I meant that it never got below 50% per day; I was charging it up at night.

As far as the death grip: I can get it to drop bars but it has not dropped a call or lost network on me so far. I've used it for calls a fair amount in the past 5 days or so and I still find the reception is noticably better than my 3G was: night and day difference... even if I'm holding it in my left hand with the death grip :) In fact my only gripe with the iPhone 4 as of today is that I was stupid and *should have gone with a 32GB model :/