LCVG

LIVE Chat: MST2K3

Carlucci

What if a bunch of us got together on Xbox LIVE chat, put in the SAME DVD (not in the xbox, of course) and started it at the same time, and then had some fun spoofing the movie and reciting/changing the dialogue, and regaling our chat-mates with our astute observations on the movie?

I think this would make with the hilarity.

I was trying to think of unique ways to use chat, and this idea keeps popping up.

Whatcha Think? Can it fly? Any interest? Has this been attempted yet?

Carlos.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember doing something like this with Dean, Calvin, Gary and a few others when the chat function first came out . We did this a few nights in between our Socom games while watching various tv channels. Dean gave us the play-by-play for one of the Cubs games one night. Beat the hell out of Tim McCarver. :)

-Wow, like interactive MST3000, interesting! I've been pondering the whole use of the Live chat, and altough I don't know if this ever crossed the minds of those MS, it's certainly better than anything that's crossed my mind.

-With Halloween right around the corner a good old horror flick would be a great choice. And even better, since there should be a cheesy horror movie on some channel this week it'd be easy to be sure everyone was at roughly the same point in the movie.

Originally posted by MrJames@Oct 28 2003, 12:05 PM

Dean gave us the play-by-play for one of the Cubs games one night. Beat the hell out of Tim McCarver. :)

You never hear regular announcers say things like, "What a fucking bonehead play!" or "Holy fucking shit that was a sweet pitch!" :)

-Dean-

I'm up for this. As Mario said, our Friday nights are usually filled with drinking our favorite alcoholic beverage and watching crappy movies (Scarecrow being my fav of the bunch so far).

If we use a DVD, I think the easiest way to get everyone basically in synch is to que the movie at the very beginning and hit pause. Then, after a countdown, everyone hits play. This should help eliminate issues with different DVD player load times.

God bless dashboard chat!!!!

If we can get it done, I think Halloween 3 would be a great one to do considering the season.

Damn! Now in addition to buying new games, we are going to have to start buying movies to participate. :shock: You guys just keep inventing new ways to part a man and his money...

I took the liberty of checking the listings for movies on television for tomorrow night. I was figuring a broadcast movie would make it easier for most people to participate and keep everyone from having to spend money plus it's easier to coordinate. I figured if we were able to do it tomorrow evening we'd catch a seasonal movie before Halloween passes. I'm sure most of us will still want to arrange the DVD night, but as that is more technical to coordinate I figured this would help get things off the ground. So, here's the list,...

Bride of Chucky (1998) **+ ?, CC Wed 9pm, USA

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) Wed 8pm, AMC

The Devil-Doll (1936) Wed, 9:30, TCM

The Vault of Horror (1973) Wed 10pm, FMC (Fox Movie Channel)

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein .... (1994) Wed 9pm, Bravo

What are your toughts?

The movie starts will be staggered by time zones, won't they? I guess we'll have to host chat rooms based on our geographical location in order to watch together...

Bride of Chucky would work for me.

Originally posted by JTello@Oct 28 2003, 02:26 PM

Ahh, time zones, good point Bryan. That grinding sound you all hear is the monkey wrench Bryan just threw in my plans. The times I listed are all EST. I'd watch Bride of Chucky too Bryan!

Well, technically only the West Coasters would suffer from this, because for Eastern and Central, the show is on at the same time (just different time zones). It is only for the West Coast that they actually wait to play the show.

So if the show says 9/8 central, that means it is on at 9 in the East coast, but at 8 in the Central Time Zone, but that still means it is on at the EXACT same time.

For the west coast, they actually show the movie at 9 p.m Mountain/Pacific Time, which means it will already be over in the East Coast.

Confusing, but not a show stopper. Sorry West Coasters, you will have to wait for DVD coordination.

I'm willing to commit to the whole DVD plan as well, and I'd venture to bet that a Saturday evening would be best for most people. So, let's do this,...

Everyone who wants to commit to a LCVG BYOB movie/chat night on Saturday November 8th chime in with your votes

1. What time should we start (all times in EST)

2. Which movie we should watch!

I would prefer 10 EST. Gives me a little more time to put the kids/wife to sleep. Or if 9 EST, maybe I can turn on the chat through the speakers and my wife could listen in.

Office space sounds like an excellent choice for the DVD. Been wanting an excuse to pick that one up.

"Naga, uh, Naga....Nagonna work here anymore, that's for sure!"

BUT,

I'd venture that ALL of us have Star Wars:The Phantom Menace, so that might be a good choice too. Especially for the trivia/making fun of Jar-Jar.

Carlos.