LCVG

Atlus annouces first Xbox 360 titles.

Romier S

Operation Darkness and Spectral Force incoming...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6183068.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;2

"We are very proud to pledge our support to the Xbox 360 and to officially partner with Microsoft to bring quality titles to their impressive entertainment system," said Atlus USA exec Tim Pivnicny. "Atlus is renowned for its expertise and excellence in the RPG genre with critically acclaimed hits like Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 and Odin Sphere, in addition to the award-winning Trauma Center franchise."

Along with revealing its agreement with Microsoft to become an officially sanctioned third-party publisher, Atlus has announced two games for the console, both due out in 2008. Operation Darkness is a strategy role-playing game that puts a fantastical spin on the European front during World War II, giving players magical powers to thwart Hitler's advancing tide. Atlus did not attach a developer to the game, though it did launch an official teaser site.

• 5 months later...

So I downloaded the demo for Operation Darkness and finally got around to trying it out. I had read in another thread that people were pretty disappointed with the camera, but I figured that couldn't be too big an issue. Well, it kind of is. It really does suck. I hate how it bounces back to a completely useless view while you are trying to figure out what is even going on on the map. I actually liked the rest of the demo, but I'm not sure I can pull the trigger on this game now. Does anyone know if Spectral Force 3 uses the same system?

I'll end up buying it and suffering through the camera, but it really is wonked. Where else can you get nazis, werewolves, and period WWII weapons in a turn based tactical simulator? Yeah, they kind of have us niche market people by the short hairs. Between GTA and NG2, it doesn't matter anyway, earliest I would crack another title is August ;)

Oh yeah, Valkyria definitely looks better. Graphically it is clearly taking advantage of the PS3's abilities while both of the Atlus games do look a bit like slightly improved PS2 titles. Still, if the story and gameplay are there, I can overlook less impressive graphics.

I went over to Gametrailers and checked out the media they have for SF3. As I thought, it does not appear to have the same camera issue as OD. I would guess that since SF3 has more of a melee-based combat system, the maps are not so large and therefore the camera is not an issue. In OD, since there seems to be more emphasis on gun/ranged combat, the maps need to be larger. That isn't a bad thing, its just that their camera implementation came up lacking.

• 2 months later...

Picked up Spectral Force 3 this afternoon. I'm itching to try it out but I may not put my full attention into it at this point. I'd like to try to get through R6V2 and CoD4, plus I'm at the halfway point in Assassin's Creed, and there's also Ninja Gaiden 2 and Devil May Cry 4 that I have started...Hmm, maybe I do have a video game addiction...