LCVG

Excellent $399 Dell laptop

GreenMonkey

We just got my wife a Vostro 1500 (C2D, 1440x900 screenm, 8400GS, Vista basic) and she's pretty happy with it so far. Our old $378 Walmart HP black friday laptop saw a bit too much exposure to the toddler-hazard.

BTW, XP version, same price, if anyone doesn't want Vista:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bqdwisc&cs=04&dgvcode=ss&c=us&l=en&dgc=BF&cid=7420&lid=197374

I don't see any reason not to get Vista on a laptop though.

Edit: The fatwallet discussion brings up a few good points. You might get some more battery life by spending the extra bucks on the Turion (TL) chip. And be sure to select the cheaper shipping option.

My wife needs a new laptop. This deal may be too tempting to pass up but she'd have to make sacrifices which I'd rather not make. Looking at the options I want(2 gig ram, Turion chipset, N card etc), the gateway at BB is looking quite good.

I looked at the Vostro 1500 as well. Again I found the Gateway a better deal.

Still this is a great deal.

What resolution can it output? If it did 1920x1080 I'd do a double take.

That shouldn't be a problem, that's pretty much dictated by the video card hardware/drivers which for ages all generally go to 2048x1536. You should be able to output pretty much any rez out of the VGA output.

Found it on the ATI site:

Supports resolution up to 2536x2536@32bpp

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_14603_14624%5E14627,00.html

We picked up her the Vostro 1500 for $604 shipped with a coupon. So that was a good deal for us. She mainly uses it for grad school to write papers and hit the internet, and maybe play the Sims 2 on it, so she doesn't have a lot of requirements.

I'm really surprised how good the budget laptops are becoming. It used to be some big sacrifices were needed, but now you can get a pretty good dual-core machine, 5400RPM drive, etc for pretty cheap.