LCVG

Wait for 45 Nanometer Core 2 Duo?

foogledricks

In first quarter 2008 the 45 nanometer Core 2 Duos come out. The cooler less power hungry processor sounds appealing to me. But will it cost more or less. Right now I'm looking at a Duo for about $200. Will the existing processor prices go down when these are released? Will the 45s be low priced or high priced? I thought smaller dye lowered costs for them?

Anyway, I just want to have the right expectations. If they release these processors and they're 50% more expensive then I'm not interested at all. I want to build a cool low power PC but not at ridiculous prices.

On a related note. Are there any Nvidia motherboards that have graphics and sound built in that support the Core 2 Duo processors AND have good enough 2D performance to run windows in a snappy way at 1920x1080?

Edit: What I'm getting at is that I don't need an awesome sound or graphics card. I just want to be able run AERO and render 2D at HDTV resolutions. I don't care about 3D gaming. So if I can save money by going integrated, as well as saving power and heat in the process, that would be ideal. Ideas?

Well I'm also hoping for low power usage too as I'm thinking of making this an always on media server.

Oh, well, leaving it on, I can see squeaking all you can on the power saving, provided you're going to have the box for a few years to see the power $ savings. This sounds like a good read for you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/21/energy-efficient_computing_options/page2.html

It's about building a power efficient computer, and discusses saving power while active and/or idle. Page 9 has a good summary of what they found. Sounds like Athlon X2s are best for idling, and C2Ds for using less power when maxed out.

Be sure to focus then on a highly efficient PSU as well :D I'm curious to see how it works out.