LCVG

Best game soundtrack?

jhfagan

Which soundtrack from which installment of any of the franchised games out there, on any system past or present, do you feel is the best from their respective series?

Ex. Which Castlevania...or Final Fantasy...or Mario, etc.

Right now, I've been back on my soundtrack kick again, and I've been listening to ALOT of music from many different games, and have been trying to decide which I like better, since alot of them all have distinct qualities.

Some are better on the pop side, some on the rock side, some on the cheesy side ( the good kinda cheesy! hehe )....

It's hard to make a decision with so many soundtracks to listen to, and so little time! hehe

I'd have to agree with SOTN too. I've been perusing that one as well as Dracula X. ( Thanks Romier ). Doom is a good one, if I have a quiet space of time in my week, since it's a moody dark soundtrack.

I've only listened to WarCraft 3. But it's good!

Medievil has always been one of my favorites, as is the Baldur's Gate series.

Actually it's so hard to pick. I'm up to 101 game soundtracks, and 52 movie soundtracks.

I'm a downloading fiend! lol

There are some servers out there that are none too happy to see MY IP addy! LOL

I'd have to agree with SOTN. I've been perusing that one as well as Dracula X. ( Thanks Romier ).

Medievil has always been one of my favorites, as is the Baldur's Gate series.

Actually it's so hard to pick. I'm up to 101 game soundtracks, and 52 movie soundtracks.

I'm a downloading fiend! lol

There are some servers out there that are none too happy to see MY IP addy! LOL

If you can track it down, I have another lost OST that is off the scale...it even might be better then Castlevania: SOTN!!

XENOGEARS (it came out for the PSone)

xenogears.jpg

As some of you might already know, I'm a bit of a videogame/film score nut. I have damn near an entire hard drive full of nothing but music from videogames and films I've enjoyed over the years. I'm always looking for more.

So Symphony of the Night, Silent Hill, the Halo soundtracks etc. are all the usuals for me that some have mentioned in the past or I myself have noted in similiar threads. Those are a given so I won't bother going into them too deeply despite my love for anything Yamaoka specifically puts to a game (Akira Yamaoka of Silent Hill fame) and my appreciation for the other names listed.

That said, I will go ahead and mention some key ones outside of those major names that I've personally come to absolutely love (both past and present titles). I'll even go a step further than simply mentioning them...

Icewind Dale - Jeremy Soule at his very very best. One of the greatest soundtracks ever put committed to the medium IMHO and you're doing yourself a major disservice if you've never listened to it. In fact:

Icewind Dale Main Theme

Icewind Dale Kuldahar Theme

Killer Instinct - Yeah, that's right. Make fun of me all you'd like but you'd be a lying bastard if that opening guitar riff didn't get you pumped in the arcades. Specifically the old Killer Cuts compilation that came with the SNES version of the game was fantastic and still gets regular play on my Zune. For those that need your memories jogged...

Killer Instinct Main Theme and Character Selection music

Killer Instinct - He's a Killer

Lair - So the game really isn't all that much worth talking about (though I don't HATE it as many do) but good lord the sountrack is breathtaking. John Debney did some fantastic stuff here that will no doubt leave you with thoughts of John Williams and an epic Star Wars-ish story/game that never really materializes onscreen. At least the music lets you imagine what it could have been;).

Lair - Diviner's Battle

Lair - Elegy

Lair - Bridge of the Ancients

Mass Effect - A far more recent title but worthy of mention as having an excellent score that combines everything from orchestral pieces to synth based electronic themes for its battle sequences. If you can find the soundtrack you should pick it up without hesitation.

Mass Effect - From the Wreckage

Mass Effect - Uncharted Worlds

Mass Effect - Uplink

Panzer Dragoon (the whole damn series) - Seriously I can't even choose one game to really iterate the point that the music in Panzer Dragoon is incredible. For the purposes of providing something in the way of a sample though I will stick with our good friend Orta which has the distinguishment of being my favorite game to be released in the entirety of the last generation of consoles:). I'll also include the main theme from the glorious Panzer Dragoon Saga (which has a two disc soundtrack out there that will run you almost as much as the game on the Saturn but oh boy is it good!).

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Main Theme

Panzer Dragoon Orta - Eternal Glacies

Rez - This is hitting XBLA arcade very soon and anyone that hasn't sat down with this game - I'm jealous as I would love to have experienced it for the first time in HD with 5.1 sound. Music is the very essence of Rez and the music is SOOOOO good. I won't even bother posting more than one track as the music in Area 5 alone is enough to illustrate my point.

Rez - Fear is the Mindkiller (Area 5)

I might come back and post a few more pertinent entries.

Oh and since Covak mentioned it, I need to give a second shout out to Shadow of the Colossus. This cue alone:

The Opened Way - The Battle with the Colossus

Fucking brilliant work. The entire soundtrack is worth every last penny I paid for it and more.

The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time

For me, nothing has quite come up to the rising score as you finally, after gathering all the spiritual stones, pull the Master Sword from its' base and realize that the real game is just beginning.

Along with that, there's just no game where music quite reinforced the "wow" moments as that game did... for me at least.

I really liked the main title music from the old Amiga game, Hired Guns. Had an awesome techno groove.

Oh yeah, not really ever made into a game but, waaaaaay back on OXM disc 8, I think, there was a title called "Dancing Moira". It was from a game that never came out called Unseen (pun not intended!) but, they had the main character dancing in a club with this killer techno playing. :rock

I wish I could rip that music from that OXM disc. I don't know if it's possible...

Here's a youtube of the song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfomFjzUpzs

Even though it was only 8 bit mono through my little 20" TV, I always liked the music in River City Ransom for NES.

I also liked some of the stuff from Mario Kart for SNES. And I remember the main in-game music for the Tazmanian Devil SNES game being really good.

More recently I always liked the Halo music, specifically the main screen music. It always sounded so 'epic' to me, which made it fit the game pretty well.

And one I never would have thought of, but thanks to Romier for reminding me, Killer Instinct. I have the CD and I listen to some of it on my iPod all the time. The soundtrack was just another way that this game was way ahead of it's time.